Dexter

Just finished watching the full four seasons of the show. It may be somewhat heretical to suggest a Showtime show on a forum so dedicated to HBO's wonderful Sopranos, but it is worth it. :icon_wink:

It can be a bit predictable at times, a bit like 24, and the acting is not uniformly great, but Michael C. Hall is excellent in the title role (HBO fans will remember him from Six Feet Under) as the serial killer/blood analyst for the Miami Metro Police.

The fourth season was specifically well done, utilizing an excellent John Lithgow as Dexter's nemesis. Check it out if you have not. And if you have seen it, speak up. I'd love to hear other's opinions.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Re: Dexter

Yes a great series and the last episode was the most shocking finale I have seen in a long time. I am still heartbroken.:icon_sad:

And John Lithgow was brilliant. Who would have picked that the loony alien from Third Rock From the Sun could play malevolent so perfectly!

Incidentally the character of Dexter is just as iconic as Tony Soprano and Don Draper. Michael Hall's monologues are some of the finest examples of television writing.

The only weakness for me was the Angel and Maria sub-plot.

But I cannot recommend this show too highly!! Well chosen Det. Hunt!!

RMRIP :icon_cry:

CK

DaViE wrote:Sorry, don't really like. Too much of a Network TV touch. Or like candy with too much sugar in it. Nah.
I agree it has a bit more of an episodic feel like 24 or other network programs, but the subject matter is unusual enough to keep me watching. As well, it's not quite as bad as 24 placing the main character in some mortal danger that you know instantly he will escape to fight another day (or else the show is over.) But it is not entirely predictable...and on that note...
conkom wrote:Yes a great series and the last episode was the most shocking finale I have seen in a long time. I am still heartbroken.:icon_sad:

And John Lithgow was brilliant. Who would have picked that the loony alien from Third Rock From the Sun could play malevolent so perfectly!

Incidentally the character of Dexter is just as iconic as Tony Soprano and Don Draper. Michael Hall's monologues are some of the finest examples of television writing.

The only weakness for me was the Angel and Maria sub-plot.

But I cannot recommend this show too highly!! Well chosen Det. Hunt!!

RMRIP :icon_cry:

CK
I have to agree though it was inadvertantly spoiled for me before I saw it. I was just checking out Wikipedia to see when the DVD release for season 4 was slated and instead the last line for season 4 told me what happened at the end. It was still powerful and something you simply would not expect. Can you imagine if Chase had killed off Carmela in season 4? :icon_eek:

I agree on the subplots, though the character Deb is growing on me, and I like Angel much more than any of the other cops. I have not cared for Maria since day 1 and don't mind not seeing Doakes any more (though it was interesting to see him go after Dexter.)

I'm curious which way they'll go next season - another heavy as nemesis, Dexter as single father, and/or Dexter as off the deep in from grief taking out any and every person in his way? Surely Deb will have to discover his secret soon enough. And I suspect there is much more to learn about poppa Harry. Almost feels like we've just witnessed the tip of the iceberg.

As for Lithgow, he's been the best nemesis thus far (much better than Jimmy Smits.) If you want to see Lithgow show crazy prior to this, check out De Palma's Raising Cain. Having seen that back in the day, I knew he could carry this role and he did expertly.

Did you see the interview between Michael Hall and John Lithgow after the finale?

It was quite enlightening how the two actors perceived the way Dexter and Trinity interacted, but what was revealing was Hall's speculation of where the show will go next season. Your observations are very similar to Hall's!

Interestingly the series has gone off on a wildly different tangent from the books. I wonder sometimes if a Sopranos series of novels might have taken a different direction if they had run concurrently with the TV show.

As far as the sub plots are concerned (like the romance between Angel and Maria) I suspect the show needs the firm hand of a David Chase to tighten them up, otherwise they do come across as contrived network style soap opera developments.

I have not had chance to see that interview yet. I suspect it will be on the DVD or perhaps Youtube. But from what I've read, those seem to be the expected turns.

The first season was great especially since the show was just growing.

The second season dragged a bit due to the Lila character. That got annoying quick, but Doakes got more interesting.

The third season had some promise, but Smits too got a bit unbelievable and for the second season in a row, there was less about Dexter's daily grind and more about his crazy life. The season arc took over a bit too early perhaps.

The fourth season was nearly perfect as far as the season arc and heavy are concerned. But I still feel a bit of the dark humor from the first season is missing. There are some laugh out loud moments in that 1st season. :icon_mrgreen:

And I really have to agree with your earlier point - great monologues. I especially enjoy how it explores his thinking as it goes along - real time almost. Great written word and great delivery.

Hi Detective Hunt,

What do you think of the 5th season so far?

Dexter's predicament is becoming more complicated? With the FBI, Quinn and Julia Stiles in the mix you wonder how Dex is going to get away with it.

I've been watching and it's not too bad so far. I was intrigued by the start of the season but I'm a bit worried the seeming track is too close to the Jimmy Smits story line - training a killer. Matched with the already useful "they are closing in" angle I'm curious to know where they are going. I'm enjoying the lead role, but wondering where the rest is going.

Just saw the penultimate episode of season 5. Not as brillliant as Boardwalk Empire. More of a guilty pleasure. However the writers have come up wiyh a ripping cliff-hanger. Can't wait for the season finale.

Return to “Television”