How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode Review and General Comments

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place again. I'm posting re the new episode that just played tonight.

Oops! It just occured to me that maybe the reason there are no other posts in this thread is that they would be spoilers for people on the West coast?

I had a few comments to make. But I think I better stay on the safe side and come back in two hours.

“perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me, and see my state, may have caused it to toll for me, and I know not that.” – John Donne

Tony sits on the dock, and mopes, a bell tolls twice nearby. After the fight, he’s coming to grips with his limitations, feeling old at age 47. “His body suffered a trauma from which he probably will never fully recover.” He’s still brooding a little while later as we hear his young niece Nica, singing with her nanny, "four little ducks went off one day, over the hills and far away..." which bring us back full circle to the very first Sopranos episode with the ducks in his pool.

Carmella disingenuously defends Tony as not being a vindictive man, but Janice knows differently. That fight was a big mistake on Bobby’s part and Janice knew it.

“Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.” – John Donne

Bobby had never killed a man. His father was the “terminator,” who never wanted “the life” for his son. Tony knew this was of great importantance to Bobby. He doesn’t “lie out in the weeds for days, years waiting” to gets his revenge, like Livia. Instead, he gives Bobby the task of killing a man, just to lower the price on a deal with some French-Canadians. “No bows and arrows, now,” he instructs Bobby, with a knowing smirk on his face. Bobby regrettably “pops his cherry.” With a sad, nearly tearful, look on his face he looks a young man in the eyes and shoots him in the forehead, point blank. Bobby returns to his family life, holds his young daughter, and stares ahead at the peaceful lake, forever changed by the experience.

“Sopranos.
You go too far.”

I don't even know where to begin.

Janice was reflecting on taking a life, (Ritchie Aprile), and Carmela once again thought Janice comments were all about Tony.

Tony is vindictive. He knew Bobby never took a life, however, gave the order to "spite" him for the butt-kicking he received.

Why was the point of the drowning story? And why can't Tony get it out of his head? Just to freak out Janice?

Blanca's comment, "They let him out already?" had me ROLLING.

Need to chat about this! LOL
I didn’t want to show crime pays, I didn’t want to show crime doesn’t pay...David Chase on the ending

Excellent, outstanding episode. Can't wait to watch again at 11:00 PM.

Tony coming to grips with age and with his own, growing vincibility was compelling viewing.

Every reason I ever had to like Bobby and differentiate him from everyone else in his circle was confirmed tonight. I had no idea he had never killed someone, as I thought that was the necessary prerequisite to being "made". (That revelation probably deserves a thread itself.) So I was most glad that the man who finally whipped Tony's ass was Bobby.

I will be most interested to see what long term effect this hit has on Bobby and how that in turn affects Tony. Tony's need to sabotage anyone who possesses superior character, or seeks to develop it, has been a major, recurrent theme in the show. He's already succeeded, I suppose, in sabotaging Bobby. But I'm not sure tonight's developments are the end of that story.

Anyway, a tremendous beginning to the end.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Episode 6.13: Soprano Home Movies”