Re: The Sopranos, "All Time Favorite Episode" - The Finals

Funhouse. Dreams, Comedy, Death, . . . .and the montage at the end - spine tingling.

Favourite part of the episode when T pushes open the cigar box to have his worst fears confirmed, that scene is tense. I remember at the time wishing Tony not to discover that truth about Pussy while at the same time realising that unless he does this thing of ours could be brought tumbling down. So many mixed emotions and one hell of a rollercoaster of an episode.

A brilliant episode and one i never tire of watching. This episode for me pushed home the originality and bravery of The Sopranos setting it above anything else id ever seen on TV or movies.

It looks like Funhouse takes the top prize. Certainly deserving and easily one of my very favorites. I wonder how many people will change their minds as we proceed to rewatch the series. And, to be sure, we could see an entirely different outcome if we held this again, or another with an entirely different slate of 16 episodes.

But we had fun, right? And hopefully, a few of you stuck around to play. Take a look at Fly's new forum structure and make sure to familiarize yourself with where things are. I, for one, am greatly looking forward to where we all go from here. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for playing. Great choice, Chase Lounge! :smile:
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

Good job DH.

And now that we've established a clear choice for number one, how about either trying to have another round to either find a number two or maybe a new top ten list? After all, because of the way the process was done, there are some episodes that could easily be peoples' second favorites but didn't make it to the final four or final eight.

Or how about inviting a few members to post some of their own personal top ten lists from members willing to post some brief (or not so brief) reasons why they like each episode.

I don't know about others, but I really enjoy reading peoples' reasons as to why they like a specific episode. It always provides me with some good leads to learn more stuff about the show and help me to find new ways to enjoy old episodes.

I have prepared a "Top Ten" list of my own. The big problem with it is that some episodes have just a one or two sentence explanations as to why it is a favorite while others have a full page or two.

garthman00 wrote:Almost makes you wonder if it wasn't guilt that he was feeling, but an annoyance that one of his top earners was gone. The last season really threw everyone for a loop with Tony's behaviors.
I tend to think that it was guilt that was being displayed in the wake of Pussy's death, and that Tony's behavior in season 6b was an example of his "evolution" into a much darker and more evil person. Keep in mind that as late as season 6a there were points where it appeared that Tony (following the near death experience) might turn his life in a different, better direction.

Rob wrote:I tend to think that it was guilt that was being displayed in the wake of Pussy's death, and that Tony's behavior in season 6b was an example of his "evolution" into a much darker and more evil person. Keep in mind that as late as season 6a there were points where it appeared that Tony (following the near death experience) might turn his life in a different, better direction.
I tend to believe the same thing. Although it does put an interesting twist on things if we look back at the series and view all of Tony's "guilt" as simply going through the motions as mentioned in "Heidi & Kennedy". But, like I began this post with, I tend to agree with your post. Tony grew...just not in the way any of us anticipated or hoped.

funhouse is an amazing episode, contrasting the complete high of his family life (meadow graduating and have a choice of top colleges), to the despair at having to kill a member of his other family.

this is the foundation on which the whole series was built and is perfectly encapsulated here.

Unlike tony's much later discussion with bobby about 'never seeing it coming', Pussy definitely knew this was coming. I think he knew it was coming when he stepped onto that boat. he could have run (which would have been funny to see) and made the killing a lot more messy for Tony. But he went on the boat, had one last drink and a chance to 'shoot the shit' with his buddies before business took over and things had to be taken care of.

i could go on forever about this episode....

Return to “Sopranos Voting Booth”