Favorite Episode of Season Four

For All Debts Public and Private (No votes)
No Show (No votes)
Christopher (No votes)
The Weight (No votes)
Pie-O-My (No votes)
Everybody Hurts (No votes)
Watching Too Much Television (No votes)
Mergers and Acquisitions (No votes)
Whoever Did This
Total votes: 3 (75%)
The Strong, Silent Type (No votes)
Calling All Cars (No votes)
Eloise (No votes)
Whitecaps
Total votes: 1 (25%)
Total votes: 4

Re: Favorite Episode of Season 4

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I just finished watching season four again (probably for the fourth time) and I thought I'd let everyone know what my favorite episode of the season is. My favorite episode for this season is "Whoever Did This".

This may have been brought up before, but while I was watching the episode, I noticed a bit of foreshadowing during the hospital scene with Ralph. Tony held Ralph up against the hospital wall, with his hands around his throat. This is almost identical to the scene later in the episode when Tony is choking Ralph at his house on the kitchen counter.

PFloyd69 wrote:
Also, "For all debts public and private" is one of my favorite season openers. I just felt it incorporated a little bit of everything-much like the pilot.
I am really glad someone mentioned this. I've always loved "For All Debts...", but it seems largely ignored. I sincerely adore the way we are in Christopher's shoes and have no real way of knowing if Tony is being straight with him. And then his realization that it doesn't matter if he is or not. He would still be doing his bidding regardless.

Garth wrote:
PFloyd69 wrote: Also, "For all debts public and private" is one of my favorite season openers. I just felt it incorporated a little bit of everything-much like the pilot.
I am really glad someone mentioned this. I've always loved "For All Debts...", but it seems largely ignored. I sincerely adore the way we are in Christopher's shoes and have no real way of knowing if Tony is being straight with him. And then his realization that it doesn't matter if he is or not. He would still be doing his bidding regardless.
x2

This is a formidable episode.

OFC the Barry Haydu incident is one of those unforgetable landmarks, but this is not the main reason I think this episode rocks.

There isn't a single unnecessary moment or wasted frame!!

It kinda works like a pilot, ditto; it definitely works like an opener for the season... it's all there:
-Carmela financial concerns & focus
-business-wise central point will be mostly property/construction deals
-Chris mistakes Tony's grooming (that involves learning, OFC) for him wanting to be beating with a stick constantly, which leads to further his drug abuse
-Tony buys birdfeed offseason and he is hiding money just as he is telling everyone else how hard it is at the moment, LMAO
-Ralphie's lavish, obscene and vile nature far outdoes any of his peers (doing drugs [& his sister] in the batroom of boss' house?? LOL - and a cool nod to the godfather; in the party he passes out naked in the middle of the room, haha)
-the continued theme of Tony taking advantage of his uncle
-Carm disappointed it's not Furio
-Baccala being positioned to take a more pivotal role
-Zellman gives Tony a tip about additional Funds being released (in connection with the Esplanade) and he conceals that information from Carmine
-Paulie being manipulated by Johnny Sac

other iconic moments of this episode
-Chris shoots himself as he says "When have I not been there 100%?" LOL
-Chis taking junk cut to Tony serving himself a massive portion of ice-cream with extra cream on top :icon_mrgreen:
-welcomed presence of Rio Bravo as a companion for Tone's relaxation moment - pretty cool
-Carmela's nagging leads to Tone calling a meet and going on a tirade about stepping up their illegal activities (an unadvised move exactly contrary to his plans to distance himself from the street level, which we later found was taped by one of his leaks)
-Chris is paranoid about being called in the middle of the night, and Baccala's presence arouses him further, when Tony's exact plans are the opposite: to make them closer and ultimately promote him to 2nd most important guy
-after all the establishing of what's going on on the outside, it's confession time in Melfi's office: "I'm Depressed!" -- Brilliant little moment!!!... then Tony reveals his plans, and the acting, the position of the body and the expression on the face of Jim Gandolfini is just amazing... an amazing achievement, as he details his plan, he talks about trusting ONLY blood and immediate sequitur he is opening an exception... then he delves into Chris' qualities (and because we know since day 1, the pilot, his real feelings over Chris) and as it says it how it will work, we can see he is lying to himself. Such a complex character. Such an mind blowing acting achievement.
-and extra, this episode puts the Moltisanti arc in images (the baby picture with his dad, the domestic environment he was brought up in) - he is no longer a character without an arc :icon_mrgreen:
-and in the end we see the eyes of that 20$ billar, those eyes were the only witness to that murder

I love For All Debts.., Strong Silent Type, Calling All Cars, Eloise, and Whitecaps. But it's gotta be Whoever Did This, one hypnotically eerie hour of television. I love how it pares everything down to just Tony and Chris; there's something haunting about spending so much time with them in the darkness, and then being startled by the harsh light of dawn as Tony swings open the Bing door. Just an outstandingly atmospheric and unforgettable episode.

My favourite episodes from Season 4 ranked from best to worst:
1) Whitecaps
2) Whoever Did This
3) The Strong, Silent Type
4) The Weight
5) For All Debts Public And Private
6) Mergers And Acquisitions
7) Everybody Hurts
8) Watching Too Much Television
9) Christopher
10) No Show
11) Pie O My
12) Eloise
13) Calling All Cars
"I use the technique of positive visualization. How come I always feel undermined?"

Return to “Sopranos Voting Booth”