Re: Least Favourite Episode?

Darn! There are so many threads for which I'd like to just change the concept a little. Like this one, for example. I'd like to either change it to "Least Favorite Scenes" or maybe have a new thread for that. But, it just don't seem right to start a new thread for every tiny little difference between an existing thread and one that I'd like.

So, let me say this here and perhaps if people feel strongly about it, maybe someone will start a new thread for "Least Favorite Scenes".

Many of my least favorite scenes involve Meadow. Scenes between Meadow and Finn are one example. I think they are just so boring. Remember the scene in Unidentified Black Males where Finn brought out a suitcase and Meadow started to howl and wail about it? It seems to me there were several scenes between the two of them in that episode and I found them all very boring.

I can't say the entire episode is one of my least favorites though because I enjoyed the sub-plot about Tony B and his limp and the conflict between Tony S. and Johnny Sac. Johnny Sac's performance in this episode is one of his best ever and that is saying a whole lot - considering that he is one of the very best actors in this entire show. Besides, a great many people whose opinions I very much respect have said this is one of their favorite episodes. So, I need to see it another time or two before making up my mind.

In general, any episode in which Johnny Sac has a significant role is bound to be one of my favorites. Vincent Curatola has such a believable Mafia-like presence, I just buy whatever he's selling - hook, line and sinker!

Nice idea about a seperate thread for least favorite scenes!! Maybe have one for favorite scenes too?? I disagree with you about Meadow. I feel as though she is Tony's favorite person, which I think makes her interesting just for that reason... Those 2 have shared a lot of great scenes. One of them is (season 2?) when she comes in late one night and he is sitting at the kitchen table. T's drunk, and they have a talk. He asks her if she knows that he loves her. And T tells her that he tells people that she takes after Carm, but really she's all him... I always loved that scene. Another interesting one is when Meadow throws that party at Livia's house, then he goes over later to get the locks changed, and she was on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor... In the Pilot when they were in the church together was a good one. On the college trip, lots of good stuff with her. The blowup scene she had with T, when he told her he didn't want her to go to Europe. Her talk with AJ, after Livia dies, helping him with the Robert Frost homework.

Good idea about least favorite scenes. My leats favorite scenes I felt were when a moment rang false on the show.

* CGI Livia-by far my least favorite scene in the entire series. 'Nuff said.

* The scenes where Silvio made a stink about the Columbus Day protests.

*The flashback Christmas episode scene where the kid says "fuck you, Santa!" A lot of that episode seemed forced to me.

That's all for now.

billyp wrote:Not one particular episode, but the storyline of Vito going to New Hampshire was like taking a character of minor importance and giving him his own spin-off. I think it plays little importance in the series as a whole. The fact that Vito is gay and causes a rift between NY & NJ is important, but could have been simplified. I think Chase was stretching his storyline to accommodate one more season. (or 1/2 season).
I agree.
They gave Vito all that time.
I would have preferred seeing
a more in depth look at Sil or Paulie.
I just didn't like the Vito character at all.

Splishak wrote:I have to agree with WITWF about Camelot. I found the whole story boring - except for the scene with Tony and Phil.
I wouldn't say Camelot was my LEAST favorite episode ever...I think i might need to think on that question a bit longer. But to comment on "In Camelot", I am not a hug fan of the episode, but I absolutely love how the episode leaves Tony...sitting in the Bing surrounded by the guys after lying to their face about the kind of woman Johnny's goomar was. The camera closes in on Tony's face, and you see the cracks in Johnny's foundation start to take their toll on T's psyche, as he takes a shot of his drink and puffs his cigar. Just beautiful and tragic at the same time. This is a theme which is now being explored quite a bit in the most recent episodes, so I think it is important for that reason alone. Doesn't mean it couldn't have been improved on, just means, it has it's moment to shine, imo.

HitmanFurio wrote:I agree.
They gave Vito all that time.
I would have preferred seeing
a more in depth look at Sil or Paulie.
I just didn't like the Vito character at all.
Well, if you think about it, they gave Vito all thatsolo time, which they have never even given any other character on the show. The closest I can think of is Chris's movie project, but (despite my feelings on that) even that is somewhat interesting. Vito's story was not. It was poorly acted, written, and executed. I just knew the whole time he was going to be killed at some point. It definitely seemed like filler. Vito isn't bad as a background character, but solo screen time? Not my idea of Sopranos. And it has nothing to do with the gay revelation. For the record, "Unidentified Black Males" is one of my favorite episodes. I just didn't like how far they felt like they needed to push that storyline. All very forced.

garthman00 wrote:Well, if you think about it, they gave Vito all thatsolo time, which they have never even given any other character on the show. The closest I can think of is Chris's movie project, but (despite my feelings on that) even that is somewhat interesting. Vito's story was not. It was poorly acted, written, and executed. I just knew the whole time he was going to be killed at some point. It definitely seemed like filler. Vito isn't bad as a background character, but solo screen time? Not my idea of Sopranos. And it has nothing to do with the gay revelation. For the record, "Unidentified Black Males" is one of my favorite episodes. I just didn't like how far they felt like they needed to push that storyline. All very forced.
I agree.

Other than Tony,
and possibly Chris-
Vito was given the most screen time.
And it's not a gay issue,
I just didn't find Vito charismatic.
I would have loved to have seen
Paulie or Sil fleshed out more
with the time devoted to Vito.

Return to “Sopranos Voting Booth”