The Wall

Ok, there have been several references by posters here regarding themes present in "Walk Like A Man" having parallels to Pink Floyd's The Wall. Tony coming downstairs singing Comfortably Numb, Christopher's Humpty Dumpty reference while at JT's (he fell off a Wall) ... also several people mentioned the significance of the track "Mother" (though it wasn't actually played or referenced in the episode).

Has Tony built a wall? Is he asking his children to do the same? Is all of the "bullshit, bullshit, bullshit" his bricks in the wall?

If so, is Tony's wall high enough? And will he fall off?

Re: The Wall

I remember the episode a few years ago when the dialogue quoted from the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" it seemed to me as though the plot of the episode mirrored the song lyrics, so to speak. And this episode sort of matches the lyrics to "Comfortably Numb"-- not directly, as no one is a rock star on tour or anything, but it keeps the tone of the song at least.

The first part of the song could be about AJ in this episode, in pain, numbed out, people trying to help him, including the shrink who got him a prescription for drugs to numb him out:

"Hello,
Is there anybody in there
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone at home
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down
I can ease your pain
And get you on your feet again
Relax
I'll need some information first
Just the basic facts
Can you show me where it hurts"

The slow-mo part where everyone was laughing at Chris reminds me of this part of the chorus:
"There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying"

I'm not sure if this next part is part of the episode or not:
"When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain, you would not understand
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb"

Chris falling off the wagon:
"O.K.
Just a little pin prick
There'll be no more aaaaaaaah!
But you may feel a little sick
Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working, good
That'll keep you going through the show
Come on it's time to go."

Then Chris shows up at JT's and wants help, but can't/doesn't even listen to him:

"There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying"

AJ is part of the gang who burn the deadbeat kid, his first real violent activity, after getting fleeting glimpses of his father's violence while growing up:

"When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
And I have become
Comfortably numb."

It doesn't fit perfectly, but it's fun to see where the song and the episode overlap.

Re: The Wall

I am reminded of the scene where Christopher shoots J.T.

J.T. has this puzzled look on his face. It's as if he has no chance to understand Chris' mental position. Almost as if they are two different sub-species (to quote the moron).

I really felt sorry for J.T. He just could never understand Chris' reasoning. I doubt that most any one of us could. Chris' reasoning is so far afield of most any human being that it would be impossible for any of us to understand and to placate Chris.

Can you imagine? All you have to do is placate this dumbass monster to save your life. But his line of thought is so far afield, that you can't do it - not even to save your life.

I once had a friend who described someone as a person "who belongs in a cage". I hever before thought I could go along with that. But if Chris was a real life character, I would have to agree. He deserves to be locked up in a pen and the key should just be thrown away.

Return to “Episode 6.17: Walk Like a Man”