Re: Symbolism questions, observations

HagensBing1977 wrote:Disagree, disagree, disagree. Those tv and movie that we see the characters watching inevitably give us some underlying subtext regarding what is going on in that episode. From the Public Enemy (the gangster movie not the rap group) film, to the World War II documentaries, to the President Lincoln biography, to Casablanca, to the latest John Wayne flick- they ALL give us Chase's interpretations of the emotion going on. Even when Tony was watching the Western in one of his dreams, Carmella asked if that show is more interesting than real-life.
I think you're right, consigliere. The Sopranos episodes are crafted and shot like little movies/portions of a larger movie, not 3-camera sitcoms. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, that is in those shots that is an accident, especially the other media like books, films, and music. Now, are some of them there more for general atmosphere than direct interpretation? Yes, of course. But their selection/placement is never accidental.

I read over at IMDB that apparently just as Tony walks in on AJ as he is flicking through the TV channels, at the moment that Tony enters, the channel AJ is flicking past shows a very prominent 'bear', making the connection to the Tony/Bear duality which ran throughout Season 5.

I havent been able to see the episode as of yet...

...is this true? Great bit of symbolism if it is!

Giuseppe Soprano

Lawdog wrote:I think you're right, consigliere. The Sopranos episodes are crafted and shot like little movies/portions of a larger movie, not 3-camera sitcoms. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, that is in those shots that is an accident, especially the other media like books, films, and music. Now, are some of them there more for general atmosphere than direct interpretation? Yes, of course. But their selection/placement is never accidental.
I respect both of your positions. And I agree -- nothing is an accident. The songs, etc., help establish mood, give hints into character, and all that. You're exactly right. What I'm suggesting is that much of it turns out to mean little in terms of the plot. I keep thinking back to the school principal Carmella had the affair with. He had recommended a book to her. We all thought the book had great significance in terms of what might happen to Carmella. So far, it hasn't. There are a lot of examples like that.

I've heard enough quotes and listened to enough DVD commentaries from Chase to think he has a love/hate relationship with the audience. I think symbolic things are tossed in there to throw us off the scent -- to say, see? You all aren't as smart as you think you are.

Return to “Episode 6.17: Walk Like a Man”