The tree with no roots

How long can it stand?

How long can Cris continue unrooted in sobriety?

Is it a sign of strength to say he can fall, but get back up again, or will he eventually fall for good?

We see many characters without solid roots (metaphorically speaking).

Phil Leotardo's roots were severed & disgraced by people that renamed his family at Ellis Island.

Paulie was uprooted by learning his mom wasn't his mom.

I could go on and on.

When Tony was in his coma, the monk told him his future identity, was no different than that of the tree. Tony identified with the wind blowing through the trees in various episodes.

Now we see a tree with no roots, standing still and pondering when it will fall. When will the wind blow?

I suspect this tree symbolizes more than just any one character's condition.

Re: The tree with no roots

I agree that the tree with no roots can be taken as a symbol for any number of character's condition, but I took it to most closely relate to Christohper in this particular episode. The tree symbolizes Chris' uncertain future. Essentially, the character has been reduced to dead lumber that can barely hold itself up - and as a result is now vulnerable to even the slightest breeze.

Also, to uproot: To displace, as from a home or country; tear away, as from customs or a way of life. Relocation? Witness protection?

Even though I havent entirely thogutht his through yet, im trying to connect the reference to a root canal (digging in and killing the pain) earlier in the episode to the tree without roots.

Maybe christopher replanting the tree is him replanting his own roots and becoming back to his old ways, or even turning into his father.

cob wrote:Even though I havent entirely thogutht his through yet, im trying to connect the reference to a root canal (digging in and killing the pain) earlier in the episode to the tree without roots.

Maybe christopher replanting the tree is him replanting his own roots and becoming back to his old ways, or even turning into his father.
Interesting point about Chris' dad. Tony idolized him and probably wants to see Chris become like him. Tony's blindness to Dicky's disease would then correspond to his turning a blind eye to Chris' disease.

Tony didn't argue with Chris when he was told "Dicky Moltisanti, your hero, was little more than a junkie." Maybe Tony will now see Chris' disease for what it is; hereditary. I wouldn't be suprised if Tony became more understanding and nurturing of Chris at this point.

The root canal may be symbolic other other conditions. Carlo said his whole head was numb, as a result. I think in general we see up-rooted characters using some form of drug, prescribed drug, or alcohol that ends up numbing them out.

Tony - prosac
Chris - drugs and alchohol
Uncle Junior - forced to take meds to "numb him out".
AJ - alchohol and violence to numb the pain of his break-up

That tree is knocked over by Paulie when Chris's wife is in the window, holding the baby.

Later, Chris works things out with Paulie (enough so that they don't kill each other anyway) and Chris comes home and sets up the tree again. So maybe the threat of Paulie killing his family is part of what the tree represents? Now that that's no longer likely to happen, the family tree can be reestablished.

My take on the last scene is that Chris is thinking of starting over. The replanting of the tree after Paulie leveled it shows that he wants to rebuild his life. Chris has complained gives and gets nothin in return. He realizes that Tony is not going to help him anymore, and that he is no longer the chosen one anymore. His drunken comments to J.T. and his fellow AA member shows that he wants to talk. He will decide to rat and move his family out west. The question is whether he makes it to witness protection. I believe that Tony will learn of his cooperation with the Feds and be forced to kill him, ala Adrianna. Chris' betrayal and his death at his hands will destroy Tony's psyche.

Interesting posts. I would hope this episode leads to the return of a motivated Christopher to return to his role as "the chosen one." But honestly, it looks like the beginning of the end for him. It is obvious he regets his decision regarding Adriana. I also enjoyed the insight that he believes his relationship with Tony was poisioned at that moment. Which is pretty ironic given that when it first happened in Season 5 it looked like it had strenghtened their relationship.

Return to “Episode 6.17: Walk Like a Man”