Re: Chris' Demise

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:And who knows: Tony may have inadvertently provided the means by playing good American citizen and tipping Harris about the Arabs. Chris was the one doing business with them, and he will be the big fish on the hook for the credit card scam and weapons sales if Harris and company get anywhere in their investigation. How ironic if the charges that lead to a witness protection deal with Chris against Tony originate from a tip Tony himself gave the FBI.
This would be the perfect setup for Chris to flip. He already hates Tony for ordering the hit on Ade, and now Chris will be able to connect the dots between his possible arrest and the phone call where he heard Tony talking to "someone" about the Arabs. This would be the ultimate way to get even with Tony.

Still, if Chris wasn't willing or able to kill Paulie last night after Paulie was insinuating his daughter will become a future hooker and then tearing up his lawn, he might not be able to rat out Tony either... On a personal note, as a father of two daughters, and grandfather of three girls, if Paulie had said that to me, he would either be toothless or dead, breaking-balls notwithstanding. I lost some respect for Christofuh for not responding to that...
Christofuh says: "Tony has big decisions to make, like whether or not to have that third sandwich..." :icon_razz:

haironmelfistwat wrote: I lost some respect for Christofuh for not responding to that...
I actually told my wife to look away after Paulie made his comment and the picture started to slow. (She doesn't like the violent parts). I thought for SURE there was gonna be a rock glass shattered on old Silver Wings.

What happened after with JT was just awful. Christopher has lost his soul. He committed murder, in cold blood, no business involved. It's time for this to all come to a head, and the writers did a great job building up the tension.

And now with four left, I think it's safe to say that there is no more room for any more 'setup' episodes. It's go time.

SharpAsACueBall wrote:Was there any symbolism in the scene where Tony instructs Chris about barbecuing? I think he was telling him the steak can still cook when it's not over the flame. He was telling Chris to calm down and he could still earn money. Then he mentioned about flipping the rib. Will Chris flip?
To me, the important thing was that Tony was able to stand over the meat and the barbecue and not have a panic attack. Seriously, that was always one of his triggers before.

Joe wrote:so does this general rule of thumb apply to tony soprano as well?

a man who beat another human being with a belt for sleeping with an ex girlfriend, personally killed 5+ people including blood relatives, constantly cheats on his wife, heads a massive criminal enterprize that makes its money extorting honest people, hits women in the face with his fist, had a black police officer busted off the street for simply doing his job, etc

sounds kind of like a scumbag to me....
You're right, Joe, it does apply to Tony, certainly up to this point, anyway. I personally view him as having a MUCH noisier conscience than Chris, which in the end implies a higher humanity quotient, a higher potential for spiritual/psychological reformation. So Tony has always given me room to hope, however foolishly. But in terms of destructive behavior towards others, there's not a dime's worth of difference between the two. I grant you that.

Though it makes no difference to the power of your point, you mischaracterized one aspect of Tony's behavior. He has never hit a woman with his fist, not even Janice during physical altercations with her. He open-hand slapped Gloria when she was doing her best Livia impersonation and was embarking on her twisted fantasy to provoke Tony into killing her. If he didn't fist punch her when she came at him with a broken bottle, threatened to call his wife to ruin his marriage, and begged him to choke her to death, it's a pretty good basis for distinguishing him from Chris in that regard, who punched his own fiance on a couple of occasions with no physical provocation at all.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Episode 6.17: Walk Like a Man”