How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode Grades, Review, and General Comments: 'Walk Like

Welcome, Luckydrop, as I see you're a first time poster.:smile:

A lot of us have been wondering about Artie as we're now 5 episodes in and haven't seen him yet. I can't imagine the show will end without him having another moment or two of screen time. I feel he will have at least one more meaningful scene with Tony before it wraps up.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Splishak wrote:I think it was Melfi's shrink (played by Peter Bogdanovich), who had a daughter who was helping at the Law Center. Remember that Meadow met her when she went to enquire about the Law Center? She seemed to be a Lesbian (not that there is anything wrong with that). She looked quite heavy set.
You're right, Spishak, that was Eliot Kupferburg's daughter, not Melfi's, though I can't remember her name. In any event, she explicitly identified herself as lesbian in that conversation with her father about Melfi's son Jason. She notes that he didn't react well when she "came out". "Came out" is the only part of the line I can say from memory is definitely a direct quote, and in the context of the conversation it's pretty clear that she's talking about coming out of the closet as a lesbian.

It was handled very matter-of-factly, which impressed me. As the scene played, it was a total non-issue to Eliot that his daughter was a lesbian.

I keep wondering if some of the pay off for the whole overplayed Vito storyline in 6A will involve some character's (Phil's?) repressed same-sex attractions. Several smart people on the forum have already pointed out that in the scene where Vito was beaten to death, Phil emerges *from the closet*. . . You just never know with David Chase, do you? So many story lines don't pay off at all. But the whole theme of homophobia certainly continued to be *strongly* present in "Walk Like a Man".

BTW, I really don't think there's any correlation between lesbianism and weight. Hell, if there were, where would that put Ginny Sack on the Kinsey scale?!?

:icon_wink:
--wgw

"there's some folks out there that if they don't get it, you can't tell 'em." (louis armstrong)

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote: A lot of us have been wondering about Artie as we're now 5 episodes in and haven't seen him yet. I can't imagine the show will end without him having another moment or two of screen time. I feel he will have at least one more meaningful scene with Tony before it wraps up.
. . . but oh, so little time to go. . .

I totally agree, though. We'll see Artie again. I mean, there's got to be at least one scene in Vesuvio's before it's all over, right?

But more than any other character, Junior is the one I need to see again before it's over. I'm waiting to see Tony and Junior finally have it out, in the way we were all deprived of seeing with Livia because Nancy Marchand died between the 2nd and 3rd seasons (it's a testament to her work that her presence is still so strongly felt 5 years later). A scene with Junior would provide a way to bring to a climax all the father issues, and the fact that Tony never really faced up to the reality that his uncle shot him (as Melfi has said more than once).

A lot of story lines to wrap up. . . too many story lines to wrap up. . . but oh, so little time to go. :icon_sad:
--wgw

"there's some folks out there that if they don't get it, you can't tell 'em." (louis armstrong)

I know a lot of people say there are lots of storylines to wrap up, and I understand there isn't a lot of time yet, but I don't see it as storylines wrapped up, but moreso many characters need to more or less get their parting moment in.

The way I see it, the last episodes need:

-Some resolution with Christopher.

-Some resolution with Melfi & Tony's therapy (whether there's a breakthrough or not)

-Tony & Phil's relationship to play out

-AJ's current storyline resolved

-Something more with Meadow

-Carmella & Tony coming to some decision about the life they've chosen

Looking forward to seeing the final word on many of the characters, & what Chase is trying to say with them.

AJColossal wrote:I know a lot of people say there are lots of storylines to wrap up, and I understand there isn't a lot of time yet, but I don't see it as storylines wrapped up, but moreso many characters need to more or less get their parting moment in.

The way I see it, the last episodes need:

-Some resolution with Christopher.

-Some resolution with Melfi & Tony's therapy (whether there's a breakthrough or not)

-Tony & Phil's relationship to play out

-AJ's current storyline resolved

-Something more with Meadow

-Carmella & Tony coming to some decision about the life they've chosen

Looking forward to seeing the final word on many of the characters, & what Chase is trying to say with them.
I agree whole-heartedly, AJ. Sopranos has always been a show which is CHARACTER driven, not plot-driven. That is one of the best things about the show. The storylines don't drive the character, the characters drive the story. With that said, we have four episodes left, and I feel like there does need to be quite a bit of resolution for the characters. Plots? not so much. If we never hear about Vito Jr. again or the Russian or Melfi's rapist, I won't be heartbroken.

As far as Artie is concerned, I wonder if they don't already consider his story-line wrapped up, much as Junior's seems to be. The episode in the first six when Artie beats up Bennie just to have his hand burned. In rediscovering his cooking (and combined with the very surprising lack of him in these past five) Artie may have found his way such that Chase and Co don't feel the need to revisit his character. I hope that's not the case since I've always appreciated Artie and Charmaine.

Maybe, if anything, we'll get some Artie time with Tony as Tony moves towards his...well, wherever he's going.
"Leave the gun...take the cannoli." - Clemenza

Think Tony Died? Consider this...

Visit my Blog at Hear the Hurd

As the scene played, it was a total non-issue to Eliot that his daughter was a lesbian.

I don't have any children and I have a very strong feeling that it rings fairly hollow when someone who has no children makes comments about parenting. Oh well, at least I came clean with you all before shooting off my mouth (remember The Caine Mutiny?).

Anyway, I would hope that if any of my kids ever declared they were gay, I would try to make it a non-issue. After all, what the fuck are you gonna do about it? Wouldn't it be so much more peaceful if it was a non-issue?

Return to “Episode 6.17: Walk Like a Man”