Re: Feds sieze Carmella's profits

tomahawk wrote:Carmella can't bolt with the money. $600K wouldn't last her more than a few years. She might actually have to get a real job. Without Tony, her house building days are over. Like Vito, she would run out of money quickly and realize she didn't want to work for a living. I think Carmella showed her true colors when she refers to the house profits as "her money". Without Tony, that entire project never gets off the ground. Never passes inspection and never gets sold. In addition, by using shoddy materials, leaning on local inspector and relying on Tony; Carmella has "joined the club" moving closer to a life of crime, not distancing from it.

What's ironic about Tony's "understanding" with Carmella, is that he has not gotten much out of this deal, other than moving back into the house. His relationship with Meadow and AJ is distant at best. Carmella has been up and down in her support of him. He has no goomar and his only extracurricular activities have been one time shots (sorry) with hookers and strippers.

I thought that the idea behind a Swiss account was that it was a "numbered" account and the Swiss say "we don't know whose accounts these are", therefore they are not subject to levy.

a lifestyle you can drop like some poo'ed pants.important is the air you breathe and the water you drink, nobody can live from gold.dont forget it was her who wanted to join eye witness protection when junior tried to kill tony in season 1.
if she sold her crap plus the 600k she would end up with a million, that lasts forever somewhere on a sunny european island.
but as i have said she cares too much about the other three.
and what fomw said is also true, it was a bit wonderous that the plot with the neighbours who said at the bbq 'yes, and we are very successfull at the stock market' wasnt mentioned again.
doesnt she at another time bring some cash to some other brokers or is that the same story or is that money lost?

i think though both us might be right here, the characters are multi factetted and you never know which side the writers prefer.

i thought tony made it pretty clear that carmella is not the sauvy businesswomen we might have intially thought

i think its heavily implied that camella lost the 40 grand she tried to invest and her role in building the house was basically leaning on the various men in her life to get things done

joe wrote:i think its heavily implied that camella lost the 40 grand she tried to invest

I don't know where that was ever implied. The last thing I saw was that she had divided the money up into chunks that were each less that $10K and used each chunk for some very stable investments such as T-Bills and Bonds and Blue chip stocks. That was very clever of her (actually, she was very well informed) since there is a US Federal law requiring that whenever anyone deposits $10K or more into a US bank or securities corp the bank is required to notify some US federal agency. That law was made specifically to prevent people from laundering the proceeds of crime.

As far as I can tell, Carm still has that money safely stashed away.

Splishak wrote:I don't know where that was ever implied. The last thing I saw was that she had divided the money up into chunks that were each less that $10K and used each chunk for some very stable investments such as T-Bills and Bonds and Blue chip stocks. That was very clever of her (actually, she was very well informed) since there is a US Federal law requiring that whenever anyone deposits $10K or more into a US bank or securities corp the bank is required to notify some US federal agency. That law was made specifically to prevent people from laundering the proceeds of crime.

As far as I can tell, Carm still has that money safely stashed away.

during carmella and tony's big fight tony mentioned how he would ask for his piece of carmellas's investment profits.....but couldnt because there were no profits to split. the implication being she lost the money

during carmella and tony's big fight tony mentioned how he would ask for his piece of carmellas's investment profits.....but couldnt because there were no profits to split. the implication being she lost the money

You may be correct about that. But he said it with a great deal of emotion (sarcasm, I think) that I got the idea he was saying Carmella would never admit to any profits because she would never admit to taking the money from the birdfeeder.

After thinking about this, I got a good laugh. Carmella isn't really a very good thief, is she? If you find a big stash of something and you decide to steal some of it, the one reason to only steal a small piece is so that it won't be missed and you can come back later to steal more.

But Carmella stole a tiny piece and had to figure Tony would know she stole it. She should have either stolen all of it or waited until some time when she could have come up with a good cover story and then stolen all of it. Some time when they were both out of town (but separately) might have been good. She could have broken the lock on the bird feeder and maybe broken into the house to make it all look like a common burglary. Then Tony would have had hard time knowing whether to suspect Carmella. As it stands, he pretty well knows she took it. After all, what other thief would come in to the house, borrow his keys, steal a small piece of the mone and then return his keys?

If Tony ever dies, Carmella needs to go into some other business. She is not a very good criminal.

Just because Tony is under the impression that she lost the money doesn't mean she has. As Splish pointed out, she split that money into a diverse group of investments. As I recall, some were higher risk, higher yield, some lower yield but very, very stable and secure. If you look at those investments long term, over a period of 15-20 years, she would probably do very well. The 5-year return is not the measuring point.

And in any case, Carm hasn't advertised what they're worth now because, as Splish said, she's never admitted taking the money in the first place. She wanted him to know she took it, though, and specifically wanted him to know she took it because of having found Valentina's fingernail, thus the careful positioning of the nail on his nightstand and the cryptic baiting of him the next morning, "You sure there's nothing you want to talk about?" He's never admitted that the fingernail meant he was banging another woman just like she's never admitted taking the money, but both are open secrets between the two of them.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

This may be a little OT, but has anyone else considered Carmella's "investments" as they relate to "Cousin Bryan"? Did she invest the $40K with him or someone else? A few seasons ago, he was a young investment manager, talking to Tony and Carm about their finances. Now he is buying a mansion from Carm. Tony made the comment (paraphrasing) Don't feel bad about the poor construction quality because your cousin Bryan has screwed over a lot of people to get the money to buy the house.

Additional evidence that others are doing better than Tony at managing money / making a living. He is also jealous of their success.

Return to “Episode 6.16: Chasing It”