The Devolution of "The Sopranos"

First of all, does the 3rd episode title, "Chasing It,"
refer to David Chase? So far, these finale episodes
are devolving into tying up loose ends with duct tape,
not a creative and meaningful resolution to the series.

All the characters are devolving into cariactures. The
only message I can see is that Chase is hammering home
the impossibility of his characters ever changing or
gaining insight into their lives and behaviors. It's
a dead end.

Monadax

Re: The Devolution of "The Sopranos"

It's probably a whole 'nother thread, but for one I don't think Tony is capable of positive change. There was a time I would have said otherwise, but maybe that truly is going to be the point of the series - some people are pieces of shit and cannot change for the better. If that truly is the point, I kind of wish DC and co would get on with killing these subhuman shitmasters, post-haste.

I mean, I think that's what Melfi's ultimatum was about; I think that was the crux of Tony and Carm's fight, the idea behind all this "remember when" stuff last week, the point of Chrissie's repeated relapses, and on and on ... I mean, I think the characters themselves are doing the devolving. And the decompensating.

I say make with the dismemberment already.

Monadax wrote:First of all, does the 3rd episode title, "Chasing It,"
refer to David Chase? So far, these finale episodes
are devolving into tying up loose ends with duct tape,
not a creative and meaningful resolution to the series.

All the characters are devolving into cariactures. The
only message I can see is that Chase is hammering home
the impossibility of his characters ever changing or
gaining insight into their lives and behaviors. It's
a dead end.

Monadax
I agree. Rarely, if ever, does a long running TV hit ever end on a solid denouement that doesn't have an ad hoc take-it-or-leave-it feel to it. MASH is one exception I can think of immediately. I'm thinking of other cult hits like Twin Peaks or X Files, which started out very strong, maintained a strong arc, then kind of stumbled toward the end when the producers just ran out of steam or clever ideas. My intuition tells me that many fans are going to be gravely disappointed in what may be one of those "not with a bang, but with a whimper" endings. I still say that Chase wants to leave his options open wih a feature film based on this show. Tony would have to die to put the kibosh on that plan.

This show has always been about long and short plot-lines. Some that resolve in 1 or more episodes, and other plotlines that carry on an entire season. Some like Chrissy's screen play have lasted the entire span of the show.

TRUST THIS! Chase knew how this was going to end a long time ago. There is no rush to tie up loose ends. This is NOT how this show ever was or IS written.

IMHO.

MangiaCazzo wrote:I'm thinking of other cult hits like Twin Peaks or X Files, which started out very strong, maintained a strong arc, then kind of stumbled toward the end when the producers just ran out of steam or clever ideas. My intuition tells me that many fans are going to be gravely disappointed in what may be one of those "not with a bang, but with a whimper" endings. I still say that Chase wants to leave his options open with a feature film based on this show. Tony would have to die to put the kibosh on that plan.
I agree with the Xfiles part to an extent but Twin Peaks? Twin Peaks was taking off the air for bad ratings and ABC's overbearing nature towards David Lynch. A letter writing campaign is the only reason the last six episodes were produced and aired. Which clearly means they changed scripts and originality to appeal to a wider audience. Laura Palmer's killer was always meant to be a mystery, as to bring more questions to her position in that perverse and cantankerous society. Lynch didn't have control of all aspects of TP like David Chase has with this show.

What denouement would you suggest? Some viewers are going to be upset with it no matter how it ends. What are you expecting? At least Chase has an outlet for his art. None of us here may be pleased with the ending but could we at lease get there before we condemn?

Return to “Episode 6.16: Chasing It”