Re: Latent Homosexual

I have to agree with Pork Store. There have been many references to Phil and a gay background. Most have been mentioned above. In addition there is the presence of his wife who is homophobe, church doctrine quoting, all of this to him all of the time. He probably cannot stand her, hence the affair right in her face, with their housekeeper. But she is his wife and he has her coming down on gays constantly, while he has probably been in the position that she detests. She gives him no way out other than to rain down her hate on Vito and others.

fugazzi wrote:This episode confirms it for me, Phil Letardo is gay. He claimed Vito disgraced his family, and now he refers to Vito's wife as a mere distant cousin, so it wasn't about honor. As shakesphere said "I think thee protest too much" Phill killed Vito out of his own self hate.
All this armchair psychobabble really cracks me up, as does the peculiar logic of if you exhibit an intense amount of disgust for something/someone you secretly want to be that that/them.

I've always hated the Boston Red Sox, does that mean I secretly wish I was a player on their team? Of course not. Just because someone doesn't like someone or something constitutes a phobia now? It all makes no sense.

Mangia - you wouldn't want to have been the Conig back before the beaning?

I thought the "pass" thing with Melfi was an allusion to Tony maybe getting a hummer in the can. Phil would never have been a punk. Wise guys don't mangia. And a punk's punk is the lowest of the low, so Phil sees Vito willingly being a punk outside as horrid. Of course Phil could have been raped. That would explain the slight fixation and the intense anger. Raping a made guy would be a nice way to get killed fast, but it might be a way of dominating the mob - like a black or hispanic gang raping a mafia guy.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Phil is shown engaging in some homosexual act and is found out just before he is tortured to death.

Reason being that I'd like to see him suffer all kinds of indignities and as much gruesome torture as is allowed to be shown on TV. OK, actually ... maybe just a little more than they can show on TV.

For some reason, I loathe this guy as if he were a real life prick. I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's because he's been shown to be clearly much weaker and more stupid than Tony and yet he never fails to try and pretend to be better. Like in the early scenes at the party, Phil asks Tony if he's come for a favor already. I really have a hatred on for this prick. I wouldn't mind if they spent most of an entire hour reviewing all the different ways that LCN tortures people - and show them all in action using Phil as an example.

Splishak wrote:I honestly wouldn't mind if Phil is shown engaging in some homosexual act and is found out just before he is tortured to death.
Why would torture be necessary to whack Phil? And why the first part? I don't get your reasoning. Vito got what he deserved because he WAS a disgrace to his gender.

Al Sikeli wrote:Mangia - you wouldn't want to have been the Conig back before the beaning?
No. Thinking about Tony C. that way would be like asking a Red Sox fan to shed a tear for Thurman Munson. It ain't gonna happen.
Al Sikeli wrote:I thought the "pass" thing with Melfi was an allusion to Tony maybe getting a hummer in the can. Phil would never have been a punk. Wise guys don't mangia. And a punk's punk is the lowest of the low, so Phil sees Vito willingly being a punk outside as horrid. Of course Phil could have been raped. That would explain the slight fixation and the intense anger. Raping a made guy would be a nice way to get killed fast, but it might be a way of dominating the mob - like a black or hispanic gang raping a mafia guy.
This is why it was better when everything like that was in the closet where it belonged so regular folk didn't have to hear about it..

Return to “Episode 6.16: Chasing It”