How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Re: Episode Review and General Comments: 'Remember When'

OldManDiMeo1997 wrote:If Paulie had admitted that he told Johnny Sack about Ralphie's joke, Tony would've killed him. I think Tony asking about if it was Paulie was his way of feeling Paulie out and seeing if he had in the past given up information.
I am so confused.

How would Tony know Paulie would be the one who told Johnny, unless TONY was working with the feds. Paulie was in jail.

That confused me.

Now junior.....gotta love every scene with him.

Still lost, but I will watch again tommorow!!!!!!!
I didn’t want to show crime pays, I didn’t want to show crime doesn’t pay...David Chase on the ending

Cassata wrote:I am so confused.

How would Tony know Paulie would be the one who told Johnny, unless TONY was working with the feds. Paulie was in jail.

That confused me.

Now junior.....gotta love every scene with him.

Still lost, but I will watch again tommorow!!!!!!!
There was some line regarding that last week. I can't remember if it was anything specific. But Tony DID know that Paulie was buddying up with Johnny during season four, and Tony has always had good intuition with regards to people, as a boss. So it makes sense. But I can't remember what it was specifically, except Tony bringing it up to Sil, I think.

first off, the guy helping junior freaked me out big time. someone mentioned a recent real life tragic event and I'm not sure if they were referring to the va tech shooting. That guy I think was korean and junior's friend looked chinese, maybe even taiwanese. Anyways, weird coincidence.

also, there was something eerily similar to the way paulie and tony were talking as compared to tony and ralph's conversation about pie-oh-my right before tony killed ralph. Plus they were talking about ralph. That whole sequence had me on the edge of my seat; the tension was so high. paulie even knew he dodged a big one.

now i have to ask myself why did tony want to kill paulie? Because he is an annoying old man who won't shut up about the old times? did paulie for a brief second become the happy wanderer that tony wanted to make hamburger meat out of it?

Judging from the clips of next week's episodes it looks like Tony's gambling is picking up too. He was placing bets last week before his talk with Little Carmine. I initially thought he was making a bet for someone else, but I guess it's his bet since he had to ask hesh for a loan. this all seems really bad. Tony seems to be forcing a lot of bad shit on him. is he just freaking out and deciding to go down in flames? Wow, so many thoughts

Re: Grade 'Remember When'

8 and a half.

On my scale, a ten is Long Term Parking or Funhouse. And a 1 would be maybe College?

This one kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm really glad that Tony didn't kill Paulie. However, after all these years on the sidelines cheering for Tony and laughing when the feds fail to catch him, the scene with him and Paulie on the boat, after Tony throws that beer at him, I don't know. That bothered me. I lost respect for Tony.

OldManDiMeo1997 wrote:If Paulie had admitted that he told Johnny Sack about Ralphie's joke, Tony would've killed him. I think Tony asking about if it was Paulie was his way of feeling Paulie out and seeing if he had in the past given up information.
That's how I interpreted it. There's always due process in these situations, albeit the mob version:icon_mrgreen:. Catch them in a lie about one thing, serves as proof of lie on another, much bigger thing. Tony already suspected Paulie of disloyalty in season 4 because of motive (the ruling in Army of One and Ralph victimizing Paulie's mother with the gossip about him.) Paulie was falling behind in kickups, then, all of a sudden, there's the slip he made when Carmela kicked Tony out of the house. "I'm with you on this one, Tone."

Besides the obvious "this one", indicating there were many other matters Paulie was NOT with Tony on, Tony recognized it as blatant brown-nosing and an attempt score points with Tony. He would feel no need to score points unless he perceived himself that he'd already lost points.

Tony also recalls, I'm sure, all the other things that were getting back to Johnny Sac that year that had to have come from someone high up in Tony's crew: the flip of the Freelenhising (sp?) Ave property and the HUD scame. Those mysteries were never solved, but Paulie's incarceration at the time and pissy mood made him the most likely culprit.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Upon initial viewing, it seemed like Tony is simply annoyed by Paulie's stories and THAT is why he is considering taking care of him. I think what it actually comes down to is memories. The theme of hard memories started up in "Soprano Home Movies", with Janice's story regarding Livian & Johnny Soprano. I think that theme continues here, and it really puts Tony to the test. Yes Tony was annoyed by Paulie. Tony has turned into a sad, angry man, because of all the decisions he has had to make in his life, yet Paulie (as Bacala2258 mentioned) is a "happy wanderer".

There is a huge amount of resentment for Paulie, in Tony's regard. In his mind, how can someone without a close family, seem so happy-go-lucky? This resentment is really what drives the whole issue on the boat. At first I thought, "How can we even believe Tony would do this? There will be so many questions!" But, there is no one that cares about Paulie enough to even question where he went, except in regard to how it will affect them (i.e. Silvio wondering where Paulie went, but not because he care, only because it affects him in some fashion). Tony could have completely done it and gotten away with it, with no problem. And we see that go through Tony's eyes, along with all the sadness and turmoil that is now accompying him on a day-to-day basis.

Return to “Episode 6.15: Remember When”