Matthew Bevilaqua and Sean Gismonte

Was re-watching Stage 5 and noticed that during Christopher's movie screening of Cleaver, I noticed that there were two characters that strongly resembled his past friends Matt and Sean. These two showed up in the basement scene where Danny Baldwin (Sally Boy) goes on a tirade about the main protagonist being a rat.

I'm not really sure how to interpret the similarities. Sean and Matt were friends who betrayed Christopher and so I thought it would make sense for them to show up in a film that was a revenge fantasy of sorts. However, the little dialogue these two have involves defending the suspected rat and wanting to give him a pass from Sally Boy. There's no real negative connotations regarding the characters. Maybe it has something to do with Christopher building resentment towards people he trusted and cared about who only ended up letting him down.

I might be reading too much into the significance of the whole thing and it could simply be an easter egg of sorts by Chase, but I thought it was interesting to note.

Re: Matthew Bevilaqua and Sean Gismonte

Really interesting observation, you're right that there does seem to be some sort of passing resemblance on the part of both actors. I could definitely buy that being intentional.
Interesting observation but I don't think Chris was smart enough to incorporate such subtlety, especially without having Cleaver hack them too
For all we know, though, they could've gotten hacked up at some point in the movie.

Re: Matthew Bevilaqua and Sean Gismonte

Universal Polymath wrote:Really interesting observation, you're right that there does seem to be some sort of passing resemblance on the part of both actors. I could definitely buy that being intentional.

For all we know, though, they could've gotten hacked up at some point in the movie.
You didn't get a copy of the collectors edition DVD of Cleaver, U.P.??!!
We'll have to add you to the shipping list, along with Beansie.

The full version clearly shows Michael the Cleaver's mutilation of the characters resembling Ben Kingsley, Paulie, D-girl Amy, and Agent Ciccerrone, (as well as the eerie inclusion of the murders of 2 teenage girls named Kennedie and Heidy) but no deaths of Bevilaqua/Gismonte look-alikes. Remember, there's no need for revenge fantasies about those who actually are punished for their transgressions.

Return to “Episode 6.14: Stage 5”