Re: 'Chickentown' by John Cooper Clarke

Nice link. I posted the lyrics in the general thread last night.
I was annoyed to find that the song isn't available on U.S. itunes (it IS available in the U.K. itunes store though - but you can only get it if you have a U.K. billing address) erg.

I like how the video is all rolling imagery - just like the opening credits of "the sopranos!'

the sacred and the profane! (or propane, as little carmine would say) the way the song starts playing as they cut from Phil, to the pics of the NY guys, to the church is so powerful. It really conveyed the feeling of: ok, get ready for the last seven episodes, it's going to be a very bumpy ride .... and: here are the people left standing

when the drum plays as Chris and Tony face each other it gave me the sense of two men standing on a battlefield, wishing each other well before the bloodbath begins ... (I'm actually not rooting for a bloodbath, but that certainly seems to be where things are heading)

I have to say that "rap" (be it American, British, or from anywhere else) is never likely to be a sonic choice I find much value in. But I thought this one was used to great effect. It was a perfect, ironic counterpoint and commentary on the christening.

On the hug, Chris seemed devoid of any real affection while Tony seemed still hurt. Detachment versus sadness. The inequality of their reactions is what I found most foreboding.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

On the hug, Chris seemed devoid of any real affection while Tony seemed still hurt. Detachment versus sadness. The inequality of their reactions is what I found most foreboding.

It's interesting to me that so many people thought Chris looked unemotional/cold. I thought he first looked nervous and then scared during the hug. I thought Tony appeared very sad, but also conveyed a strong 'I've got your number' vibe.
Maybe I'm just reading way too much GF into this scene.

EdaMaria wrote:It's interesting to me that so many people thought Chris looked unemotional/cold. I thought he first looked nervous and then scared during the hug. I thought Tony appeared very sad, but also conveyed a strong 'I've got your number' vibe. Maybe I'm just reading way too much GF into this scene.
Chickentown was a great addition to that scene. Since every other word is "bloody" (actually an English cuss word more than about Blood), we do know what to expect.

I agree with your comment above. More than anything else, Christopher is scared. His fear caused him to rely on JT to try and snow Tony, but obviously that didn't work and he will find that out soon. Tony is still much more powerful than Chris. Chris has to worry about both the New York and New Jersey families, who both might want to kill him.

Chris has no support from anyone if he is able to whack Tony and would be just signing his death warrant.

Tony is sad, but all it would take would be one attack (physical or verbal) on his immediate family and he would bring down a massive sh1tstorm.

Return to “Episode 6.14: Stage 5”