Carmella's recent relationship with AJ

It seems to me that recently, Carmella has a very well-defined relationship with AJ. Every time she speaks to him, it is only to chastize him or to screech at him.

Remember the ride up to the court house? All that Carm had to say to AJ were curt orders and screeching complaints.

Then back at the house, when Tony returned, all she had to say to AJ were orders to lower the volume on the TV.

It seems to me this has been going on for quite some time now. The only time she talks to AJ is to bark out orders or complaints. She has nothing else to say to him.

Has this been a very recent change? I don't remember exactly when it started.

Re: Carmella's recent relationship with AJ

I think it goes back to when Tony and Carmela separated. He was out of control back then and he wouldn't speak to her whenever she tried to make conversation. Remember she tried talking to him about the Beatles and drumming and he blew her off. They have been on that rocky road since then.

It reminds me of Six Feet Under. Remember in season five Ruth was really harsh with Claire. She even struck her at one point. I think it has to do with the frustration of seeing your child throwing their lives away in both cases. Maybe this will end up the same and Carmela and AJ will have a reconciliation.

Well, it wasn't one fight. It was his behavior during Tony and Carmela's entire separation, culminating with the AJ wanting to live with his dad.

Just as disturbing is how Tony views his son: weak, small, and lazy.

Carmela and Meadow also had problems in season one and two. Even after Jackie Jr. died, Carmela gave Meadow a hard time when she was just laying about the house and not doing anything with her life.

Carm told AJ to turn the tv off, not turn the volume down. :)

This change in Carm's behaviour towards AJ certainly started when Tony and Carm were separated. Carm did everything to try and win AJ's affections but AJ treated her like crap. It escalated when AJ flunked out of college, then he spoke to the news reporters about the shooting with his father. Remember when Carm was talking to AJ about losing his job at Blockbuster and AJ made a remark about her? Tony told AJ he should be kissing her feet because if it wasn't for her, he would have been a lot tougher on AJ. I don't remember the exact words but what Tony said was true.

Well, it wasn't one fight. It was his behavior during Tony and Carmela's entire separation, culminating with the AJ wanting to live with his dad.

Yes. OK. That is true. I was too hasty. But now, even still ...

It seems to me that Carm has just cut AJ off completely. She acts as if he is a piece of shit that she has to endure until some time and then she can be done with him. Hmmm ... maybe AJ is still a minor and Carm is just waiting till he becomes 18 or 21 or whatever the law says is the age at which she can legally kick him out?

My point is, Carm seems to want nothing at all to do with AJ. It's kind of like the mother cat who rejects one of the kittens cause she doesn't have enough milk and that kitten is then doomed to die.

So, I have two questions: Isn't that the way that Carm has been treating AJ lately? Isn't it just barbaric for any mother to treat a son in that way?

A.J. neither fills her pocketbook nor her ego. Ergo, scorn.

An excellent way to view the situation. It makes good sense to me.

Return to “Episode 6.14: Stage 5”