Re: Flashback from 'All Due Respect' continuety error? With

Hi jz1276,

I don't really have a response to your post, as I'm swamped with personal stuff right now and am just breezing in to attend the essential admin functions here. But I see you're new and have made three posts, so I just wanted to at least welcome you to the forum. I hope someone with time and interest chimes in, but a lot of the regulars here are all talked out.:icon_redface: One of the downsides of the show having finished nearly 7 years ago.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Hi jz1276,

I don't really have a response to your post, as I'm swamped with personal stuff right now and am just breezing in to attend the essential admin functions here. But I see you're new and have made three posts, so I just wanted to at least welcome you to the forum. I hope someone with time and interest chimes in, but a lot of the regulars here are all talked out.:icon_redface: One of the downsides of the show having finished nearly 7 years ago.
Thanks for the welcome. Even though it's been off the air for years now, I still rewatch the entire series every year and a half or so and always notice new things and interpret some plots differently and like discussing. I cant be the only one ?!

No, I'm pretty sure others here rewatch ever so often, and sometimes there can be, relatively speaking, a "flurry" of posting activity. But it's been pretty slow here since shortly before Christmas. Maybe it will pick up a bit in the coming weeks.

The stars have to be aligned just right for me to feel like posting with any depth about the show these days or looking at minutiae like continuity errors. I'm just at a different place in life than I was when I did a lot of that, although I completely understand how captivating that process is and how watching the show again always offers the chance to discover some previously missed nuance or interesting moment.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

That's very odd, thanks for posting this. You can see in the take used for Soprano Home Movies that there's a prominent close-up of the agents with their jackets saying "FBI," as opposed to a more distant shot in All Due Respect. Most likely, this was done to remind the less tuned-in viewer, as efficiently as possible, of what had happened -- that it was the FBI who arrested Sack. However, why the first couple shots of Johnny and Tony talking were swapped for marginally different takes, I have no idea. The line deliveries and gestures of the actors are all noticeably different, but hardly enough that they would carry some sort of important hidden meaning. So, I don't know, but it's an interesting observation nonetheless.

BTW, this isn't a continuity error. It's just different footage used in a different episode to represent the same scene. A continuity error would be if, say, in a typical shot-reverse shot conversation like here, in one shot Johnny is taking a slow drag of his cig, and in the next shot of him just 2 seconds later the cig is suddenly held out of view at his side. etc. Also, a scene like this would never be re-shot 2 years later just to fulfill some strange minor whim of Chase's. It's just alternate takes from the All Due Respect shoot.

Gotta say, I'm stumped. It's altered for a reason -- because why not just use the original scene from ADR and edit it as necessary? To seek out different takes from a 2 year-old episode requires much more effort.

This is something only Chase or others directly involved in this particular part of production could accurately answer, others can only speculate. I doubt it has any particular meaning or substance to add to the show. Perhaps they remembered liking some minor aspect of the alternate takes and set them aside for future use when the original episode was edited; maybe they felt that it would appear slightly differently in Tony's memory than as we originally saw it. They likely wanted to take the extra effort just to have the newer episode appear fresher and not just totally repetitive, and it wouldn't have been much to have a production assistant review and retrieve the footage.

Re: Flashback from 'All Due Respect' continuety error? With PROOF!

That is an interesting theory but I don't think it makes sense. The main, quite small, difference between the two versions is that in ADR the shots of Tony are quite tight on him, whereas in SHM they're a little wider and so they show Johnny's neighbor's mansion to Tony's right (screen left). I believe this is the same house that the kid who picked up the gun is from, so it DOES make sense as a kind of subtle introduction of the existence of that house with the kid in it so close by... but I wouldn't describe it at all as "showing it through the kid's eyes," because the actual perspective/POV of the scene is identical, it's not like there's a shot from the vantage point of that house, the difference is strictly in the content revealed. Simply put, I think the reason why the shots were changed was to visually introduce this neighbor kid's house so that the flashback in ADR might not feel like as much of a revisionist "cheat" by the writers.

Return to “Episode 6.13: Soprano Home Movies”