The BOAT on the DOCK that TONY "sits in the chair" next to

In the scene when Tony is "sitting in the chair" (Bobby: "Come on. People sit in chairs.") but before we see Janice and Bobby, he starts to almost glance over to the boat on the dock to his right but doesn't quite, then the camera cuts to the boat, which is rocking hard from the wake. Then the camera cuts back to Tony, who looks away for a second and then turns and looks directly at the boat. It then cuts to the boat (supposedly from Tony's P.O.V.) and we see it is now completely still, no longer rocking at all from the current.

Now although I think that this is some symbolic refrence to something about Tony and either how he is dealing with losing to Bobby, or some forshadowing or something (I mean, nothing on the Sopranos is unintentional and there is a lot in the small details), or it could simply be nothing and I am looking too deep into it.

Help me out here, did anyone else notice that / think anything about it ?

Re: The BOAT on the DOCK that TONY "sits in the chair" next

well, imho...the boat might stand for bobby and the trouble he causes in tonys mind, then tony shuts it down and probably the duck as his consultant/friend has arrived shortly before to 'magically' shut up the boat with him or strengthen/tranquillize his thoughts.we see the duck leave but carmella has already arrived without us noticing it before and tony tells her whats on his mind.
while he said the night before bobby won straight and fair (he would never say that), to give him the diplomatic, obligatory chance to say he had him pinned until carmella jumped in his back he will now go straight out.
next scene shows us the four at the table and tony, with the can aka any random weapon in his hands, repeatedly says how it was a soccer punch, 'a soccer punch is a soccer punch', tony then drives twice over bobbys mouth , and after the first time bobby looks pissed, and after the second time he looks really pissed to the lake but doesnt start a fight again, which tony probably was ready for.
either tony is satisfied now, which i guess, with that or he will destroy bobby.

Admittedly, I'm too quick to look for a `big picture' meaning in almost every scene of these final episodes, but my initial take on the boat was that it represented a kind of escape or alternate path for Tony.

Afterall, the episode featured Tony in the kind of reflective mood of the likes we've rarely seen outside of Melfi's office (understandable given the jail scare and 47th b-day)

This theme, IMHO, was present in T's various (menancing?) looks at Nica. He's jealous of her youth, options in life, met needs (in spite of Janice!). In fact I thought there were some shades of "Isabella" there.

Of course, I realize the fight with Bobby and other more immediate plot points are at play here, but it's the 'everyman' aspect of Tony (the angst over aging, fewer options, repeating patterns through generations, etc.) that really got my attention.

on a side note, I thought it was interesting that The Drifters' "This Magic Moment' started playing while the camera was still close on Tony. On top of being a musical counterpoint to Carmela's 'Love Hurts' and a song by the same group who did "Under the Boardwalk,' it's the kind of old R&B song that seems to evoke something very deep rooted and pre-LCD in Tony (as we saw with the unfortunate Zellman incident)

oh, I almost forgot, the boat is orange! :icon_wink:

ballermann wrote:well, imho...the boat might stand for bobby and the trouble he causes in tonys mind, then tony shuts it down and probably the duck as his consultant/friend has arrived shortly before to 'magically' shut up the boat with him or strengthen/tranquillize his thoughts.we see the duck leave but carmella has already arrived without us noticing it before and tony tells her whats on his mind.
while he said the night before bobby won straight and fair (he would never say that), to give him the diplomatic, obligatory chance to say he had him pinned until carmella jumped in his back he will now go straight out.
next scene shows us the four at the table and tony, with the can aka any random weapon in his hands, repeatedly says how it was a soccer punch, 'a soccer punch is a soccer punch', tony then drives twice over bobbys mouth , and after the first time bobby looks pissed, and after the second time he looks really pissed to the lake but doesnt start a fight again, which tony probably was ready for.
either tony is satisfied now, which i guess, with that or he will destroy bobby.
I'm sorry man, but that was really hard to read. I got as far as "soccer punch, soccer punch" and gave up.

I haven't thought of that boat scene since the last time I watched this episode, but I remember trying to figure it out then as well. I'll have to watch it again over the next few days and come back with my thoughts.
What violin?!

My theory is it might be a call-back to Big Pussy, while Tony's fight with Bobby was a call-back to Ralph, both of them being friends he killed. This meant he was considering killing Bobby, or more subconsciously, Christopher. somebody mentions it showed the manufacturer's name "Chris Craft", that would suggest Chris was on his mind to some capacity. Especially considering Chris is the friend Tony does end up killing this season.
Taps, lights out, 2200 hours. What's missing? Give up? Television.

Return to “Episode 6.13: Soprano Home Movies”