Ducks and eggs and fish! Oh my!

This episode was filled with references to the past. Detective Hunt joked about listing them all in the general episode thread. So shall we? Obviously, Johnny Boy and Livia loom largely but there are plenty of others, so lets list and discuss.

As always, the newspaper is present. Except Tony is in his bathrobe going down the driveway, this time he is being lead by the cops.

Nicca and her nanny are singing five little ducks. Also, the story Carm and Tony tells involves a pool: "Pilot" and beyond.

From his clothing, AJ appears to be working at Beansy's pizzeria: Season 2.

While talking to Carm, Janice brings up being hit by a man(Richie Aprile): "Night in White Satin Armor."

Tony and Bobby discuss Bobby's father "The Terminator." Old man Baccilieri from "Another Toothpick."

Carm's present to Tony is a new set of Golf clubs. In "White Caps," Carm throws his clubs out the window and Tony runs them over as he enters the driveway.

"White Caps" itself is mentioned by Carm as the four of them sit on the dock.

Tony:"My estimate? Historically? Eighty percent of the time it ends in the can like Johnny Sack. Either that or the loading dock at Cozarelli's." Phil also leers at a pic of JS while his crew are busting his balls. "All Due Respect" and others.

In the monopoly scene, Bobby considers buying a railroad. "Members Only"

Janice making a Frittata. Eggs!

Janice's son Harpo. I don't think Bobby killed him but the French Canadian link is there.

Carm notices the Fish jumping out of the water. The dreams from "Fun House" and Tony's friend Billy the Big Mouth Bass.

Carm gives Tony a BJ for his birthday. Very reminiscent of ideas expressed in Season one's "Boca."

Janice speaks of Tony sitting in a chair stewing. A recurring shot in the show, especially in the last two seasons.

I consider the scene were Tony hangs up on Chris a reversal of the past. In "Collage," Chris faces the elements to speak with T on a pay phone. It's perfect example of the collapse of there relationship.

Re: Ducks and eggs and fish! Oh my!

i was just thinking of that myself, yeah i saw the duck fly over quickly while tony was sitting in that chair near the lake.
it flew over him, i guess it could represnt something like the other time in previous episode/s maybe where ducks were seen to fly 'over' him.....like when he killed Frederick Peters.

mkay0 wrote:Better watch it again, its the nanny. One of the main themes in the episode is how often the nanny is actually taking care of Nica, and Janice just comes over to bitch.
Correct - Does this remind anyone of the way Livia treated her housekeeper? She was always accusing them of stealing from her and drove that very calm woman to quit after a few days.

Janice always gave her help the dirty work and also complained "What are we paying you for, put her to bed" after she witnessed the fight.

tomahawk wrote:Correct - Does this remind anyone of the way Livia treated her housekeeper? She was always accusing them of stealing from her and drove that very calm woman to quit after a few days.

Janice always gave her help the dirty work and also complained "What are we paying you for, put her to bed" after she witnessed the fight.

seems like this is a case where Janice's laziness/selfishness is serving the larger good. can you imagine if poor Nica had to endure Janice 24/7?

Pork Store wrote:This episode was filled with references to the past. Detective Hunt joked about listing them all in the general episode thread. So shall we? Obviously, Johnny Boy and Livia loom largely but there are plenty of others, so lets list and discuss.

As always, the newspaper is present. Except Tony is in his bathrobe going down the driveway, this time he is being lead by the cops.

Nicca and her nanny are singing five little ducks. Also, the story Carm and Tony tells involves a pool: "Pilot" and beyond.

From his clothing, AJ appears to be working at Beansy's pizzeria: Season 2.

While talking to Carm, Janice brings up being hit by a man(Richie Aprile): "Night in White Satin Armor."

Tony and Bobby discuss Bobby's father "The Terminator." Old man Baccilieri from "Another Toothpick."

Carm's present to Tony is a new set of Golf clubs. In "White Caps," Carm throws his clubs out the window and Tony runs them over as he enters the driveway.

"White Caps" itself is mentioned by Carm as the four of them sit on the dock.

Tony:"My estimate? Historically? Eighty percent of the time it ends in the can like Johnny Sack. Either that or the loading dock at Cozarelli's." Phil also leers at a pic of JS while his crew are busting his balls. "All Due Respect" and others.

In the monopoly scene, Bobby considers buying a railroad. "Members Only"

Janice making a Frittata. Eggs!

Janice's son Harpo. I don't think Bobby killed him but the French Canadian link is there.

Carm notices the Fish jumping out of the water. The dreams from "Fun House" and Tony's friend Billy the Big Mouth Bass.

Carm gives Tony a BJ for his birthday. Very reminiscent of ideas expressed in Season one's "Boca."

Janice speaks of Tony sitting in a chair stewing. A recurring shot in the show, especially in the last two seasons.

I consider the scene were Tony hangs up on Chris a reversal of the past. In "Collage," Chris faces the elements to speak with T on a pay phone. It's perfect example of the collapse of there relationship.

Great list. A possible addition might be the shot of the stuffed deer in the lake house? I immediately thought of the deer in the woods in 'Pine Barrens' (and for some reason I think there was another deer at some point in the series? though I can't place it --- was it a deer that caused Tony and Ade's car accident in 'Irregular Around the Margins?' )

and one more is Tony mentioning Janice taping him and Barbara when they were kids. Tony mentions this to Melfi at some point in season 6 part 1

EdaMaria wrote:Great list. A possible addition might be the shot of the stuffed deer in the lake house? I immediately thought of the deer in the woods in 'Pine Barrens' (and for some reason I think there was another deer at some point in the series? though I can't place it --- was it a deer that caused Tony and Ade's car accident in 'Irregular Around the Margins?' )

and one more is Tony mentioning Janice taping him and Barbara when they were kids. Tony mentions this to Melfi at some point in season 6 part 1
Awesome EdaMaria! Re: "Pine Barrens" it echoes Bobby and his father going hunting together.

I'm almost positive it wasn't a deer in "Irregular Around the Margins." I remember it as more along the rodent variety.

Janice taping Tony and Barb was discussed in "Moe and Joe."

Return to “Episode 6.13: Soprano Home Movies”