The Baccalieri lake home/Tony & Michael Corleone

I don’t remember Godfather II well, but I do remember Michael Corleone staring out at Lake Tahoe, I believe, after his pyrrhic mafia victory. Doesn’t Tony, sitting alone by the lake, remind you of the alienated don, Michael Corleone? The lake is a cipher for Tony’s North Caldwell pool. The nanny sings duckling songs and birds fly away. Tony longs for a happy family; yet, despite his gun and his golf clubs, the gift that really matters -- the one that stings -- is the DVD of his family of origin. Janice can tell that her brother is miserable, lounging in his chair. Perhaps she sees their father’s pain knotted in Tony’s shoulders. Sibs can read each other, especially sibs who’ve experienced the trauma of life under the roof of Johnny Boy and Olivia Soprano. Tony may be turning 47 (he’s a stripling, barely a Boomer), but he seems more the lost lion in winter. He’s another Michael Corleone.

The Baccalieri lake home

For some reason the Baccallieri lake house reminds me of the one in tahoe from GF. Im a fan of the Godfather movies but not really and expert like some people. I thought it would be interesting if anyone noticed any similarities between them and if there may be some sort of foreshadowing or maybe just homages to the GF. I just have a feeling there's something more there and there was some sort of reason they we're at a house on a lake. I hope this is a good idea for a thread. This is my favorite time of year. Can't wait for the discussions over the next 8 weeks.

Re: The Baccalieri lake home

I didn't recognize the connection between the Godfather home and this one, but I can definitely see where you got that from. The thing that struck me the most was the water. I feel that water may be the central symbol for this part of the season. (Like wind for the first half.) I'm not sure of the implications...water can mean the subconscious. I really liked the scene where Tony just sat staring at the water and Janice commented on how she had seen that pose before. He was contemplating, sorting through his feelings. After he sat there for a while, sifting through his thoughts, he came up with the perfect way to get Bobby back, which was both ingenious and cruel.

Re: Tony Soprano/Michael Corleone

I didn't consciously think "Godfather II" when I saw that, perhaps because the most emblematic shots at Tahoe took place in the fall when leaves were flying across the lawns. But after others have pointed it out, I can see the similarity.

I love the close shots of Tony's face in that sequence, the one where Jan watches and comments to Bobby from the house. His face is battered like we've never seen it before, and there's this weathered, sad, angry, weary, defeated look to him. Another one of those great Gandolfini moments where a closeup of his face tells you all you need to know about how he's feeling.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Re: The Baccalieri lake home/Tony & Michael Corleone

I agree, first thing I thought of when Tony was looking over the water was The Godfather. Other than that I didn't see any other similarities. Although I wouldn't be suprised if we see this lake again in the coming episodes with someone sinking to the bottom, then that would be a more direct link to The Godfather.
"The quickest way to get ahead in life is to step on those who stand in front of you."

Re: The Baccalieri lake home/Tony & Michael Corleone

At one point, Janice something like, "I know that look when he's sitting in a chair like that." It really puzzled me and I was hoping someone would discuss it so that I might be able to understand it.

My first thought was that it meant he was planning some horrible revenge. Like in the Godfather movies, just before Michael has all five of his rivals executed.

By the way, I always love finding new words and try to look them up whenever I can. You used the word "pyrrhic" and I fould this meaning at dictionar.com "an ancient Greek warlike dance in which the motions of actual warfare were imitated". Somehow, I can't seem to understand how it fits. If you have the time and/or inclination, I'd sure appreciate if you could let me know. If you'd prefer to send me a private message, that would be fine.

Return to “Episode 6.13: Soprano Home Movies”