Situation with bobby shooting.

I think there could possibly be a situation with the guy ripping the piece of bobbys shirt off with dna evidence, I might be wrong though.

Great start to the new season. From the previews of next weeks show looks like some interesting things are going to happen, especially the part the showed agent harris and the other guy talking to tony at the end of his driveway.

Re: Situation with bobby shooting.

i dont think it will turn out to be much at all, first off Bobby will get rid of any evidence from the crime, second it was in Canada or just near the border. the FBI would not even have this on the radar, it will be a real reach. Third, the FBI has been so f***ing dumb throught the series that i would really doubt that now they would be actully smart. if anything it will just be a riff between bobby and tony, but really i think it woulnt turn out to be much.

proimagemaker wrote:Also related to the shooting is Janice telling Bobby to get rid of any "hollow point" bullets in his gun. Most likely did not before he went to Winnepeg that weekend. Any thoughts on the bullet getting back to the FBI, now in charge of Tony's gun case, could they be the same and therefor linked?
Not only could they be linked...but if it was the same type of bullet, and Tony was arrested for the hit, I don't see Bobby stepping up to take the fall.
I didn’t want to show crime pays, I didn’t want to show crime doesn’t pay...David Chase on the ending

For the piece of shirt to come back and haunt bobby....there would need to be 2 things:
1. skin or hair on the shirt--> which is almost a certainty
2. bobby would have to have his dna in the fbi database or he would have to be a person of interest who would be subpoenaed into submitting his dna...and chances are the local Canadian police are not gonna search the entire american dna database, cause even a 2 person comparative dna analysis takes 2 weeks ....

and from what i gather from religiously watching the episodes on dvd...bobby hasnt ever been arrested at least from the stories presented on dna....

so i think he is cool

The Aftermath of Bobby's First Kill

In the beginning of the episode, Tony makes it clear to Bobby that he feels that he can depend on Christopher less and less. While the heir apparent for several years now, Christopher’s lack of devotion – and diverging interests – have left Tony uncertain that his nephew can effectively carry the family after Tony’s gone. Unfortunately, this realization about Chris couldn’t have come at a worse time for Tony. He feels old and tired, and seems to recognize the end of his tenure as boss approaching rapidly. At a time when he feels the need to solidify someone in the position to take charge of the family, Tony feels that he must turn to someone else. And that someone turns to be his brother-in-law Bobby. His brother-in-law is a loyal, dependable soldier – a man whom Tony decides deserves more responsibility and a chance to step up.

However, the next responsibility Bobby is given is to commit murder, something he has managed to avoid for his entire life. Tony, feeling threatened and bitter about being beaten up by Bobby the night before, vindictively uses Bobby’s pride in never having killed another human being against him. And being the loyal person Bobby is, he commits the deed – despite his extreme desire not to. The act clearly shakes Bobby up. He isn’t a hardened killer like his peers, desensitized to even the most grizzly acts of violence. Bobby is hesitant and timid, as he not only commits an act he never wanted to do himself, but knew his father always wanted him to avoid as well. The episode ends with Bobby reuniting with his family, but through his warm smile, we can see a change in his face. He seems regretful, remorseful, and we see just how quickly one can be sucked into Tony Soprano's world of uncertainty, lament, and evil. And kudos to Steve Schirripa, by the way, as that thoughtful gaze he gives at the end is eerie as hell! Almost as strikingly hard and chilling as Gandolfini’s signature stare.

So what effect will taking another life have on Bobby's psyche now? He has been unquestionably devoted to the life in the past, but never at a time when he was put in such a compromising and psychologically-damaging situation. Will Bobby forever resent Tony for knowingly forcing him to “pop his cherry”? Will he attempt to gradually isolate himself from his boss, in an attempt to isolate himself from the possibility of having to commit such an act again? I can see Bobby – hopelessly rueful and troubled by the killing – begin to try to distance himself from the life. He was comfortable within that world, only as long as he never committed murder, but that is something he can no longer tell himself, which could really destroy him.

What effect will this change have on his new position in Tony’s eyes? Tony will most likely find Bobby too weak to carry on his legacy, and find Bobby as unsuitable for the position as Christopher. Of course, this would be a detrimental blow to Tony; what a terrible thing, to be on the way out without having anyone around him fit to take over. It would leave Tony in an extremely unfavorable position, made worse only by the fact that he will know it was his own actions – motivated by his trivial need for revenge – that brought about that position. Even as he tried to convince himself that Bobby was too weak and unfit, he would still struggle with his own part in his brother-in-law’s downfall. Who would be next in line, if not Christopher or Bobby? Silvio would appear to be next in line, but he discovered last year just how heavy the crown lies, when he proved to be in no way able to deal with the stress of being boss. Paulie? He is a great soldier, but I just could never picture him as the boss of the family (though I’m not exactly sure why not).

I believe this is the function the storyline will serve in the long run. This quiet, simple episode was merely a setup that showed us where Tony now is both mentally and physically, and in both regards he is becoming more and more exhausted. And as the realization that he has more years as boss behind him than ahead becomes clearer to him, the need to name and train an heir seems all the more urgent. But it is Tony’s own ill-treatment of his own men that will leave him alone and helpless. In this case, it was the need for revenge over a ridiculous fight that could leave Tony and Bobby’s relationship stressed beyond repair, and leaving the options for Tony’s successor even more limited than it already is.

Do you guys think I’m off-base? Could there be a more likely turn Bobby will take as a result of this? What exactly will his emotional response be to taking another man’s life for the first time?

veddertrey wrote:For the piece of shirt to come back and haunt bobby....there would need to be 2 things:
1. skin or hair on the shirt--> which is almost a certainty
2. bobby would have to have his dna in the fbi database or he would have to be a person of interest who would be subpoenaed into submitting his dna...and chances are the local Canadian police are not gonna search the entire american dna database, cause even a 2 person comparative dna analysis takes 2 weeks ....

and from what i gather from religiously watching the episodes on dvd...bobby hasnt ever been arrested at least from the stories presented on dna....

so i think he is cool
I really don't know about how DNA evidence is used or obtained, but sounds like you make a good point. Interesting, though, is the idea that started this thread. What a twist it would be, that all these mobsters get away with murder over and over, but Bobby gets pinched after his very first one - that he was extremely reluctant to do in the first place! And Tony would ultimately feel responsible for Bobby's downfall, having vindictively ordered him to commit the murder to begin with. That would make for an interesting plot twist, I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out and what consequences arise as a result of that hit.

Return to “Episode 6.13: Soprano Home Movies”