Re: AJ and Blanca

pitbullluv wrote:Blanca reminds me of a hood rat and it isn't far fetched to say she is attracted to the wealth of AJ's family.
You're making it sound like its a race thing. Blanca is no different than a trophy wife or any woman living off a sugar daddy, except she's never had wealth before (that we know of) and now she does through her boyfriend (who is younger than she... bonus!). And its not like AJ isn't getting something for himself out of this relationship. In addition to having somebody of his same intellect to pal around with (i.e. Blanca's kid :icon_mrgreen: ) in his wildest dreams AJ thought he'd get a piece of ass like Blanca's to screw him on a regular basis. It's a TV show, I know, Blanca and AJ each have needs/desires/emptiness that the other is filling quite nicely... for now.

True, true! Yes, you are correct. Remember that other girl he was dating? I think her name was Devin? She was WAY out of AJ's league. The downside of Blanca is her nationality and the fact she has a child from another man. I am sure Carmela and Tony don't look too favourably upon that.

jayneezy wrote:I think Blanca is bad for him and he is probably pussy whipped..........
I didn't think that Blanca was bad for him up until I noticed Tony's and Carmela's reactions to her being around during the course of this episode.

During the last episode on Season 6a when she was first introduced to the audience, I felt that there was a possibility that she could be a good influence on AJ. She made a sweet comment to Carmela about them having a great home... and Tony made that comment that "at least she's Catholic".

But now it certainly appears as if Blanca isn't merely not a good influence...but in fact she's a terrible influence. She almost plays to AJ's worst instincts of materialism, quick-fixes, and lies.

From the previews I thought since AJ looked older, he might be more mature. Wrong on the maturity part.

Good Show!!

AJ was asleep in the backseat and Meadow was in the driver's seat. Women don't usually pull the triggers in this show but they are definitely in control of their men (Livia, Carmela, Meadow, Angie B., Nucci... even from beyond the grave, Adriana consumes Chris' thoughts...)

If you watch that scene of Tony's lunch again, look closely at AJ standing next to the girl. I think they used make up on him to make him look "whiter," emphasizing the point that Tony wanted to leave because he was disgusted with AJ. If they didn't use white makeup, Rober Iler either had the flu or was coming off drugs...

Re: The Aftermath of Bobby's First Kill

I think it's a harbinger for AJ getting into OC.

So many people have dismissed this so many times for having no merit.

But a 14 year old weak and stupid AJ has little to do with AJ the adult.

I'd really love to know how AJ could go from working a $25 per hour construction job to working for min wage in a pizza parlor with a hot gf who has a kid. Did I miss something? Does anyone have any idea how that happened?

More than that, I must have missed where he is working in a pizza parlor. When did anyone hear that was the case?

I agree with Splishack. There was a disconnectedness in the definition of AJ given for the season in the short time he was a part of the episode.

1. Scene at house w/him and gf and boy. Shows his responsibility and being in love and being committed and part of their young family.

Comment when Tony comes home seems to in response to gf's dumb comment about Tony being home so fast. AJ covers quickly, what she means is in our neighborhood people don't come home so fast. A. he's quick to cover for her mispeaking and seeming odd at the moment to his family - everyone else is just happy Tony is back. But, second, it shows he's adjusted to "her" neighborhood as his own. Also shows that he will protect her stupid and awkward statement agains the judgement of his father and the rest of the family. He's with her. He's being whatever self he's defining and standing up for it.

2. AJ in back of SUV sleeping. Got the wrong suit for Tony because the light in the closet wouldn't turn on. ??? Slacker son. No responsibility. Shown sleeping against the side of the car with no care in the world even though his father is in jail.

He's melted away from being Tony's son, yet turned into nothing. It's hard to connect these two pieces given to us, but whatever Chase is defining AJ to be, it seems like a comment on failure. Maybe AJ's failure, but in the broader sense of the series, AJ being a complete F-up reflects on Tony and everything about him. How much time have we spent analyzing Tony's mom? Understanding how much of her Tony is, or how much she affected him. Parents make children on this show, and AJ is therefore a direct reflection on
Tony. Plus, he is the son.

AJ is being shown as like Tony - he hooks up with his girlfriend with her child and "plays" at being adult. But he has no interest in being responsible in most facets of his life - lazy, dishonest, drop out, slovenly. In a sense too old to be acting the way he does, and too immature to be playing house with a woman with a child. Bianca being apparently not too bright herself, and also an unacceptable ethnicity for the clan. So he is like Tony - taking the easy way and not willing to work. Clearly he is in line for falling into la cosa nostra.

Also, another interesting idea is when Bobby and Tony are in the bar with the two Pepsis, he says something to the effect of only a scumbag would take children away from their mother. He may have - if the idea plays out - killed Janice's son. Also, it lays down the problems he will have with Janice, who is clearly a rotten mother to his good father. Will he wake up to her miserable nature? Will he kill her? Will he stay with her and hate her because he thinks that is the way it should be?

Let's not forget that AJ didn't hesitate to show
his "killer instinct," when he was all too ready
to murder Uncle Junior after his father was shot.

This innate sense of revenge is precisely what
the mob is all about. Christopher and Bobby lack
that level of comprehension.

Monadax

Monadax wrote:Let's not forget that AJ didn't hesitate to show
his "killer instinct," when he was all too ready
to murder Uncle Junior after his father was shot.

This innate sense of revenge is precisely what
the mob is all about. Christopher and Bobby lack
that level of comprehension.

Monadax
I strongly disagree with this. That episode helped illustrate precisely why AJ is in such a rock and a hard place: his father set an example of what manhood is -- stealing, cheating, using violence to take what you want or to exact justice. But because Carmela protected him from Tony's violent impulses (and because Tony himself was far more reluctant to indulge them on his children than his own father was with respect to him), AJ has turned out "soft", raised without the toughening and violent instincts and capacities that come with having your own father whip your ass routinely and show you the seamy side of his mob work.

That's why AJ is in a prolonged state of adolescence: he fears growing up. He doesn't have what it takes to be a "man" by Soprano standards and doesn't have the work ethic or smarts to be a man by any other standard. He is the last person who could ever expect to succeed in OC, and Tony has known this about him for many years, thus his fear of what would happen to AJ if he tried. It would be Jackie Jr., only worse, all over again.

Though he is very much a worthless slug at this point (and for the last couple of seasons), I still have great compassion for AJ because, before his adulthood loomed, he was a fairly jovial, good-natured kid.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Return to “Episode 6.13: Soprano Home Movies”