Tony's small hands?

I think this is the episode where Tony is eating dinner at Juniors home and Tony gets pissed because junior keeps bring up some varsity football conversation that Tony just hates.

Anyway...junior says that's why Tony never could have made it in collage football because he had small hands, and Janis laughs and agrees..lol, Are you kidding us!! Tony's hands are as big as the rest of his body. Remember the scene when he grabs Gloria Trillo's head in his hands cause she gave Carmela a ride home that day, Tony's frickin' hands were as big as her head. He could have crushed her head like a canolop because of those gaint hands of his.

Anyway...unless I missed something it didn't seem like the right thing to say about a huge guy like TS....He's never had small hands.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Tony's small hands?

I always took the remark to be first and foremost a denigration of his "manhood", if you catch my drift. Hands and feet size are (however accurately or erroneously, I wouldn't know) correlated by many to the size of another part of male anatomy. This would explain Janice's snickering response ("Yeah, that's what Daddy always said.") and the subtext passing over Tony's face when he looked at her.

BTW, episodezero, I'm moving this thread to the Where's Johnny forum, as I'm pretty positive that's the episode this scene came from and not Two Tonys.:wink:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Thanks for the input...Maybe it could be as you say? But then again junior was suffering from his alzheimers so taking shots at Tony's manhood would seem unlikley. And T's father making remarks about Tony's "hand size" doesn't seem correct either. That's more something you would hear Livia say to put Tony down but how knows for sure?

C-ya

I think you're quite right in that any swipe at his masculinity by Johnny and Junior in those words would have been much less related to the size of his package than the size of his competitive, violently aggressive instincts and thus the connection I've made would have been unconscious and unintentional. But I still think that unconscious meaning is plausible, and Janice's snickering reaction and Tony's response to her reaction were, to me, absolutely pregnant with their own subjective attachment of that subtext to the remark.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:I think you're quite right in that any swipe at his masculinity by Johnny and Junior in those words would have been much less related to the size of his package than the size of his competitive, violently aggressive instincts and thus the connection I've made would have been unconscious and unintentional. But I still think that unconscious meaning is plausible, and Janice's snickering reaction and Tony's response to her reaction were, to me, absolutely pregnant with their own subjective attachment of that subtext to the remark.
If you've ever watched 'Soprano Home Movies' with the commentary on , you'd have heard Steven Schirripa describe James Gandolfini as having hands 'the size of canned hams', lol......I believe he was describing the fight scene..
Historically, that's been the case.

Return to “Episode 5.03: Where's Johnny?”