How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Grade This Episode

8 - I have always enjoyed this episode. And, as opposed to some other episodes lately which have caused a sway in my opinion. This episode stays the same for me. Tony's view of "The Happy Wanderers" in life has always struck a chord with me. It was always a viewpoint I could relate to and it always just seemed to be very true to his character. Tony ALWAYS has so much on his mind, this must be how he feels. It is just so fun watching Tony in these therapy sessions trying to figure out his feelings by using his words as opposed to his anger. It is just great to see that switch. The way he mentions how he wants to pound Melfi's face accentuates this change.

The story with David, Tony's friend is also a good one. It really puts Tony through the wringer as to how he should react when his two lives intersect. I find it so interesting as to why Tony gives Meadow the car. Certainly he wishes to rub Meadow's nose in the fact that he is powerful enough to get Eric's car. Hell, Tony doesn't even remove the ornament on the rear-view mirror. I feel like this choice should be connected to the theme of happy wandering. Tony feels like his children are the epitome of what he was complaining to Melfi about early in the episode. They are wandering through life whistling without a worry in the world. Instead of letting his children live their naive life of luxury through his misdeeds, he symbolically bashes Meadow's face in by giving her Eric's car. Not exactly Tony's best, pro-social moment.

One last thing I noticed that I absolutely love. We finally see a new side to Silvio. We see an angry, frustrated Silvio who is ready to throw Matt out the window at the Executive Game. This certainly keeps a regular viewer on their toes, as none of us, at this point have seen Silvio act like this. What makes this scene even more hysterical is how Tony completely sets up the situation to make Sil act out in exactly that manner. Watch this episode again if you have never noticed, Tony grins before Matt even sweeps the cheese from between Sil's feet. It is a grin that lets the viewer know that Tony is up to something. Perhaps this is another slap in the face to a happy wanderer. Interesting, if this is in fact true, that Tony manages to back-handedly slap a member of his "family" as well as a member of his real family. Even more interesting is how he lets Meadow know (whether that decision be conscious or not) he was the culprit behind the car issue, while the issue with Silvio, he hides behind Matt. You boarders are all smart people and if you made it this far through my review, you can make your own conclusions as to why Tony made that decision.

Re: Grade This Episode

7 here. One of those typically good Sopranos episodes that have a few funny scenes, a few dramatic moments, and nothing much happens in terms of plot progression. And it seemed short for some reason. (Minute for minute, season 2 has to be the shortest Sopranos season ever.)

This one's about the big poker game, and the whole episode more or less revolves around it. The Davey Scatino business with him offering his son's car as payment on his debt is interesting, although Tony being stupid enough to give Meadow her friend's car as a gift is questionable. I always like episodes that explore Tony's business interfering with friends and personal life, and this one's a good one in that sense.

Another all-time Sopranos moment: when Carmella tells Tony that Livia is at Meadow's recital, and the camera pans to her with the most deadened blank expression on her face. I laugh everytime I see that.

AJColossal wrote:7 here. One of those typically good Sopranos episodes that have a few funny scenes, a few dramatic moments, and nothing much happens in terms of plot progression. And it seemed short for some reason. (Minute for minute, season 2 has to be the shortest Sopranos season ever.)

This one's about the big poker game, and the whole episode more or less revolves around it. The Davey Scatino business with him offering his son's car as payment on his debt is interesting, although Tony being stupid enough to give Meadow her friend's car as a gift is questionable. I always like episodes that explore Tony's business interfering with friends and personal life, and this one's a good one in that sense.

Another all-time Sopranos moment: when Carmella tells Tony that Livia is at Meadow's recital, and the camera pans to her with the most deadened blank expression on her face. I laugh everytime I see that.
Well I don't know if I'd classify Tony's move as "stupid". I prefer to think of it as complex, for the reasons I mentioned in my first post. But the recital has some GREAT moments, despite it being a relatively short scene. I am amused every time I see Tony sniffing the flowers he brings for Meadow. It is almost as if he is trying to "stop and smell the roses", like all the Happy Wanderers do. But maybe that is pushing things a bit far. Nonetheless I ALWAYS laugh everytime I see that short shot of AJ wincing at the ceiling after the music starts. SO funny to me.

garthman00 wrote:Well I don't know if I'd classify Tony's move as "stupid". I prefer to think of it as complex, for the reasons I mentioned in my first post. But the recital has some GREAT moments, despite it being a relatively short scene. I am amused every time I see Tony sniffing the flowers he brings for Meadow. It is almost as if he is trying to "stop and smell the roses", like all the Happy Wanderers do. But maybe that is pushing things a bit far. Nonetheless I ALWAYS laugh everytime I see that short shot of AJ wincing at the ceiling after the music starts. SO funny to me.
That AJ moment was hilarious as well. The recital just started and he was already bored, lol. I know there's a lot of people who complain about AJ's character, but in the first 2 seasons, I thought he was responsible for some of the funnier moments on the show. His character didn't retain that innocent dopeyness as he got older, and his character got more serious, but overall, I think Robert Iler has done a fine job on the show, and is due a little more credit than he gets.

Garthman, I'm writing about a lot of these episodes from memory and I've forgotten some of the subtleties of these episodes, so good call about Tony giving Meadow the car. You're right, it was brought up in a session with Melfi about "wanting to rub his daughter's face in it" by forcing her to see the ugly side of his business, and wasn't just thoughtlessness on Tony's part. Another great thing about the show are these subtle points about Tony wanting to protect his family from his business, but also confront them with it when he so chooses.

AJColossal wrote:That AJ moment was hilarious as well. The recital just started and he was already bored, lol. I know there's a lot of people who complain about AJ's character, but in the first 2 seasons, I thought he was responsible for some of the funnier moments on the show. His character didn't retain that innocent dopeyness as he got older, and his character got more serious, but overall, I think Robert Iler has done a fine job on the show, and is due a little more credit than he gets.

Garthman, I'm writing about a lot of these episodes from memory and I've forgotten some of the subtleties of these episodes, so good call about Tony giving Meadow the car. You're right, it was brought up in a session with Melfi about "wanting to rub his daughter's face in it" by forcing her to see the ugly side of his business, and wasn't just thoughtlessness on Tony's part. Another great thing about the show are these subtle points about Tony wanting to protect his family from his business, but also confront them with it when he so chooses.
Agree on all points. I am a super fan, as many of you are, but the only reason I remember all the subtleties I mention in these reviews is that I am watching each episode (for probably close to the 15th time each). There is no way I would remember that hairband or whatever it was that was hanging from the rear view mirror. And in fact, I don't remember ever noticing it before in the previous viewings. I still can't believe how many different facets of this show there are. Not many shows or even movies can be compared to an onion in the that way. The more you peel, more is revealed.

Good analogy garthman00, with the onion comment. I also feel that way about this show. I think this is why I live The Sopranos, there is so many things that traspire on The Sopranos that yoy can't just watch it once and be done with it. I could watch almost every episode over and over.

This episode is one of my favorites, I scored it an 8, but is probably and 8.5. I love Tony's explanation of the happy wanderer. The executive card game is also well done. Highlighted my Silvio's rant on the Beveloqua kid over the cheese at his feet. I love the fact that Tony set the whole thing up and enjoyed watching him sit back and watch the whole thing play out. Adding to the whole thing is that Christopher warned Matt and Sean not to engage Silvio when he is gambiling, "Because he can be a sick f**k when he is gambiling" Good job of foreshadowing what happened. I also enjoy the scene with Paulie in the car with the crooked cop. When the guy asks Paulie for his liscence and registration, I thought he was going to get arrested for something. Then when he pulls the gun out and says, "how bout I give you one of these" and when the cop says he is wearing a vest, Paulie tells him if he uses it, it's going in his brosciule. Not only a funny scene, but it does a good job explaining how Tony and company are able to get away with so much criminal activity.

Return to “Episode 2.06: The Happy Wanderer”