How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Grade This Episode

7 - This is a good solid episode. Some of the best Tony/Junior moments of the series history. It is great seeing how their shared dynamic has changed, yet also stayed the same after the attempt on Tony's life. It also is a great reminder for more contemporary viewers about Tony & Junior's history and how they were constantly butting heads. I particularly love the ending with Tony cradling Junior in his arms to take him to the hospital. Very touching. This act alone speaks volumes about their relationship and especially Tony who, even after an attempt on his life, still loves and cares for his Uncle.

We also get our introduction to Bobby. Bobby has been criminally under-utalized in recent years, but he is amazing and hilarious here. I also enjoyed the Masarone Construction plot. It does not dominate the episode, but just gives everyone a taste of what organized crime does in day to day life.

This episode does have its demerits, however. On a show that rarely re-uses plot devices, it is odd to see AJ once AGAIN giving information to Livia. Remember he was the one who spilled the info about Tony seeing Melfi, a mere 5 or 6 episodes ago. And now he is telling Livia about the family's plan for a DNR. I just expect more from the writers.

The directing is well done, but nothing which stands out, a lack of Melfi and any plot which goes deeper then the superficial story prevent this episode from earning a higher score.

Re: Grade This Episode

This is a "7" for me, and maybe one of my five least favorite episodes . Part of my problem was the storyline with the protesting construction workers. It felt too much like episodic TV for my taste in the sense that you knew this plotline would never be revisited or talked about again, just like the experiences that characters in a lesser show would have, and then be forgotten about altogether.

My least favorite Sopranos episodes (this one, Christopher) tend to redeem themselves with a great final scene, and Tony carrying his uncle to get help after falling in the shower is just one of those scenes.

AJColossal wrote:This is a "6" for me, and maybe one of my five least favorite episodes . Part of my problem was the storyline with the protesting construction workers. It felt too much like episodic TV for my taste in the sense that you knew this plotline would never be revisited or talked about again, just like the experiences that characters in a lesser show would have, and then be forgotten about altogether.

My least favorite Sopranos episodes (this one, Christopher) tend to redeem themselves with a great final scene, and Tony carrying his uncle to get help after falling in the shower is just one of those scenes.
Yeah, I can definitely see your point. I agree that going into it, the viewer seemed to understand that the construction stoppage was something that wouldn't be visited again, but that didn't really bother me, yet I can see how it would to some viewers. Although, just as a note, I noticed that no one has voted a "6" yet, so if in fact you did grade this a 6, make sure you vote so we can have a good poll. Although, as always, reviews and reasoning speak higher then point values. ;-)

[quote="garthman00"]Yeah, I can definitely see your point. I agree that going into it, the viewer seemed to understand that the construction stoppage was something that wouldn't be visited again, but that didn't really bother me, yet I can see how it would to some viewers. Although, just as a note, I noticed that no one has voted a "6" yet, so if in fact you did grade this a 6, make sure you vote so we can have a good poll. Although, as always, reviews and reasoning speak higher then point values. ]

I accidentally voted a "7" and I can't revote, so let's call it a 7! (I edited the original post as well.)

Re: Episode 2.02: Do Not Resuscitate - Grades & General Revi

I would give this episode a 7. I just started watching Season 2 again and I forgot how great these earliers seasons were to watch. I too enjoy the Bobby Baccala scenes and I also find Chris's two buddies (Mathew Bevilaqua & the other kid in the suspenders) really funny.

I always thought it was strange that Tony would forgive Uncle Jr. and allow him to keep earning. HE TRIED TO HAVE TONY KILLED! And after all that drama, he just lets him off the hook. I understand he wanted Jr. to appear as the Boss of New Jersey but...

Then later in this season, doesn't Jr. test the waters again? Doesn't he have Richie Aprile ask around?

AJColossal wrote:This is a "7" for me, and maybe one of my five least favorite episodes . Part of my problem was the storyline with the protesting construction workers. It felt too much like episodic TV for my taste in the sense that you knew this plotline would never be revisited or talked about again, just like the experiences that characters in a lesser show would have, and then be forgotten about altogether.
The plotline isn't revisited, but the episode does bring to the forefront the theme of black oppression that's highlighted in many different episodes. The New Jersey crew often hands off jobs to black people in order to avoid drawing attention to themselves. For example, Juniors crew hires two black guys to clip Tony in season 1, and in s02e04 we again see two black guys robbing a family for their Mercedes SUV, and in the next scene see Tony flipping through Polaroids that include said vehicle.

I don't know, your post just made me see this (thanks). And, as for this episode, I also only think it was good, but not great. I especially liked the theme of fatherhood that was visited towards the end of the episode. I think Tony forgive Junior because he understands that Juniors decision to have him clipped was strictly business, and more his mother's doing than Junior's; and also because Tony seems to have this thing about respecting strong father figures (Hesh, the Reverend from this episode, and to a lesser extent, Junior).

5-Good scenes with Livia and Janice.We can see how much they are look alike.Deep down very bitter and sad persons.Two woman in Tonys life who makes the portion of depression in him.Janice is veru manipulative person and it is almoust disgusting to watch , on the other hand she makse the same moves towards her mother as Livia does every time.Its like a ping pong ball...Umcle juniors commets :"How did I look on TV?" was just hillarious..It just the only thing what mattered...

Now, on my roughly 10th time through the series, I am noticing that Tony is extremely sweaty in his first meeting with Junior in the cardiologist's office. At first you notice a bead of sweat down Tony's left cheek, then as the scene progresses, it becomes obvious that he is drenched in sweat. I seriously doubt that this was by accident - what is DC trying to convey in this? Is it Tony in the early stages of another (possibly aborted) panic attack, now speaking with his uncle face to face for the first time after his attempted assassination? Is it the "make peace with your mother" conversation, and Tony once again seeing Junior as a parallel to his own father, and unable to deal with it? Just some thoughts :)

Return to “Episode 2.02: Do Not Resuscitate”