How would you grade this episode on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best possible quality)

Total votes: 0

Grade This Episode

9 - This is an amazing episode. The Sopranos, in some viewing circles has come to be known as a show that you can sleep through the first couple of episodes as they only set up the conflict later on in the season. While I couldn't agree less with that statement, I see their point. The "action" usually happens in the last couple of episodes, and if that is all you are there for, the beginning of a season is typically slow-moving. This episode while not heavy on "action" (despite a hit on Phil Parisi) is moved forward by plot, amazing acting, and great direction.

We open with a musical montage, done in an incredibly classy and tasteful manner using "It was a good year". Pussy's return into the foray is a great place to start the season, as this season focuses heavily on his intentions and Tony's reaction to these intentions. We get a GREAT early peek of Tony's "mob boss view", as I have come to call it. At a cook-out in the Soprano back-yard, the camera and audio slow down, focusing on Pussy as Tony watches him cooking sausage. It is such an amazing scene because this becomes a recurring Soprano tool used to illustrate Tony's thought process in regards to mob-decisions.

Tony's conversation with Melfi at the dinner stands out as some of the best work that pair of actors have done together. Melfi also stands up to Tony using a sentence which I think epitomizes the entire series, "How many people need to die for your personal growth?" That quote has such a bite to it and when Bracco growls it at Gandolfini, it is just a scene which is integral to both characters.

Finally, Gandolfini's scene with Carmela at the BBQ after he discovers Janice took the "for sale" sign down is an amazing scene to watch. Many times we see Tony's anger muster itself in mob scenes in front of the guys. Never with Carm. This is a first. Gandolfini punching the wall is an amazing touch and is so entertaining, that it becomes easy to forget that the reason he is acting so angry is due to his lack of therapy. As he is walking out the door, "That fucking BITCH!" is laugh out loud, hilarious, but also states volumes about Tony, Carm and their relationship.

Re: Grade This Episode

It should be understood that I've loved every season of the show nearly equally, and season 2 might be up there as a personal favorite. With that said, I think that the second season got off to the slowest start in the history of the show. The problem for me was that Chase never knew the show would last more than one season, and he ended the first season almost as if it was the series finale, with very few loose ends to continue onwards.

So the second season has to pick up with compelling characters that were absent in various ways (Melfi, Junior, Livia, Pussy) that now need to be back, with new characters being introduced as well. It's a very tall order that the show pulls off admirably, but it does bog down plot development for a few episodes. I don't think the show rights the ship until they come back from Italy, which is pretty much the middle point of the season.

With all this said, I gave the first episode an 8. They have a lot to do in terms of getting out of the corner the writers painted themselves into, but they eventually pull it off. The final (nearly wordless) scene between Tony and Carmella is an all-time Sopranos classic.

AJColossal wrote: With all this said, I gave the first episode an 8. They have a lot to do in terms of getting out of the corner the writers painted themselves into, but they eventually pull it off. The final (nearly wordless) scene between Tony and Carmella is an all-time Sopranos classic.
Yeah, that ending is amazing. It is a classic!!!! Enough can never be said for Gandolfini & Falco, and it just knocks me out of my seat how a show can have a virtually wordless ending to an episode and how powerful it can be.

Re: Episode 2.01: Guy Walks Into a Psychiatrist's Office - G

Season 2 is one of my favorite seasons. I'm not sure if I agree that the start of the season is "slow". But I would say there is a lack of "action" at the beginning of season 2, but the overall story, acting, and characters are all dealt with perfectly. And of course you have Richie Aprile, one of the most disgusting characters in the show, which really puts the pressure on Tony. Overall I think "Guy walks into a Psychiatrist Office" is a brilliant episode, I won't say much about it because everything has been said. I give it a 9.

WhistlingInTheWheatfield wrote:The return of Big Pussy was also well done and set the table for the season finale episode.
Very strong episode with a great opening montage and scene. Vincent Pastore in the first two seasons didn't have a lot of opportunities to show his talent but in Pussy's return he holds his own with James Gandolfini. I gave it a 9.

Re: Episode 2.01: Guy Walks Into a Psychiatrist's Office - G

6-Good episode.Not my favorite , but good.Like the acting between Melfi and Tony.Specially the comment:"How many people have to die to your personal growth"

And also Terrence Winter is in that episode..Melfi's patient...:) So He will shortly join the writing team to Sopranos.He is excelent writer.I watched the whole 5h interview with him on the emmytvlegends.org.It was super.

great music again!

But slow is the good word for that episode..

And Janice.Even if she wants to be honest, Tony never will take her as the honest person and that battle between them is super to watch.

I think that in this episode Tony realize that Pussy is a rat and even his subconsios and panic attacks again tells him that but fornow he chooses not to belive..

:confused:

Return to “Episode 2.01: Guy Walks Into a Psychiatrist's Office”