Who still wants to get together?

Given my own disillusionment after the finale and the thoughts expressed in the "Anyone Else" thread by chaseisgod, who had previously committed to attending the convention, I think it's fair to ask who is still interested in getting together.

The last forecast was for a gathering in September or October. I had already concluded that I would be unable to do anything before October because I've been spread so thin lately between a heavy workload and a number of huge but very necessary household chores and projects. There was also a special project that I started months ago and wanted to present at the convention for the enjoyment of the attendees, but if I'm able to do that at all now, we would have to push the date as late in October as possible to allow time for its completion.

The other factor is Chase himself. My last communication with Jason Minter was about two weeks after the finale. I emailed him one night about the pictures in Holsten's. He replied early the next AM, just before departing for a trip to LA, and said he would be happy to answer my questions when he got back but didn't have the time at that moment. I never heard from him after that, although I presume he just forgot.

I've been deliberately holding off contacting him again because, frankly, my own enthusiasm for organizing the gathering has waned considerably after the finale. Some of that is a natural shift in life priorities, but most of it is due, I think, to the let down I described in CIG's thread.

It's a very awkward mix of feelings. On the one hand, I've been as obsessed as anyone with the show. I've been as vocal as anyone in suggesting that we do this and had volunteered to organize it all. My enthusiasm was through the roof at the start of season 6B. I had written a rough draft of an "award" that we would present to Chase at the event to express, hopefully with a lot of humor, our admiration for his masterwork. On the other hand, there's no denying that, right now, I just don't feel much enthusiasm for any of that. Yet I'm incredibly concerned about letting others down or being perceived as someone who talks big but doesn't deliver what's promised.

For that last reason alone, I'm more than willing to still put this together if the majority of those committed to coming still want to do it. And, of course, all this presumes that Chase himself hasn't been too put off by some of the negative commentary towards the finale/series ending generally by myself and others. I presume that if we still want to do it he would still do it out of respect for his prior commitment, but I don't know that for sure.

Who knows, perhaps if he were very open to talking about his thought processes and reasons for doing what he did long term with Tony and family as characters, I would have a different view of his ultimate choices. But he's not known for interpreting or explaining his work, so that may be an unrealistic hope.

In any case, this thread is to find out who still wants to get together and what time frame is acceptable, all assuming Chase still attends. Please weigh in.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Re: Who still wants to get together?

hmmm... sounds like things are still a bit foggy on whether or not there's the will to go forth on this. That being said, i still am hopeful we can have a gathering, and I will be there. Obviously we'll have to pinpoint a time, because my job and life is not flexible enough (unfortunately) to just drop everything and go without notice. If we get too far past October, we start running into Thanksgiving and all the other Holidays. Who knows- maybe thats a good thing? maybe we'll all want to meet for example, the weekend after Thanksgiving with other members thereby having another theme as a foundation for an experience of good cheer, in case some have misgivings or caution about a meeting when many feel negative about the Ending situation.

I realize its easy for me to be generous about my attendance, since i truly harbor no ill will about the whole thing- not a speck. i also understand that others may not share this feeling. so maybe they won't want my company anyway?! (misery loves company, and i may not be the best sympathetic-from-the-heart companion for that crowd...). But i completely 100% love the Thanksgiving holiday, because its not based on a religious holy day, so most people feel pretty happy to just eat and enjoy! maybe it would make Chase more comfortable knowing that the make everyone happy pressure won't be all on him, and guilt for him to keep his word, blah blah blah. Maybe we should be really generous and make it clear that no one will hold it against him if he wants to delay his attendance for another time...(but will we really not hold it against him if he needs to graciously back out?) o.k. i'm rambling sorry, but either way or whatever way you go Fly, i'm still with you and the group, such as i am! :icon_biggrin:

:icon_wink:
badabellisima wrote:hmmm... sounds like things are still a bit foggy on whether or not there's the will to go forth on this. That being said, i still am hopeful we can have a gathering, and I will be there. Obviously we'll have to pinpoint a time, because my job and life is not flexible enough (unfortunately) to just drop everything and go without notice. If we get too far past October, we start running into Thanksgiving and all the other Holidays. Who knows- maybe thats a good thing? maybe we'll all want to meet for example, the weekend after Thanksgiving with other members thereby having another theme as a foundation for an experience of good cheer, in case some have misgivings or caution about a meeting when many feel negative about the Ending situation.

I realize its easy for me to be generous about my attendance, since i truly harbor no ill will about the whole thing- not a speck. i also understand that others may not share this feeling. so maybe they won't want my company anyway?! (misery loves company, and i may not be the best sympathetic-from-the-heart companion for that crowd...). But i completely 100% love the Thanksgiving holiday, because its not based on a religious holy day, so most people feel pretty happy to just eat and enjoy! maybe it would make Chase more comfortable knowing that the make everyone happy pressure won't be all on him, and guilt for him to keep his word, blah blah blah. Maybe we should be really generous and make it clear that no one will hold it against him if he wants to delay his attendance for another time...(but will we really not hold it against him if he needs to graciously back out?) o.k. i'm rambling sorry, but either way or whatever way you go Fly, i'm still with you and the group, such as i am! :icon_biggrin:

Fly, I think it might be a good idea to send your original post in an email to all members, much like the "Future of the Chase Lounge" email you sent out a month or so ago. I'll bet there are still members who would be interested in attending, but haven't been on the site enough lately to even see the thread.

Just a thought.

Unfortunately, my attendence still seems highly unlikely. Especially since come October, I will officially be a college student and thus a pretty busy guy. It's too bad, as while my interest in this meeting probably isn't as big as it was around the begininng of 6B, I still think it would be a lot of fun.

And I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I have to say that there have been plenty of things I was really psyched about, eventually completely lost interest in, and then ended up following through with anyway. And despite lackluster feelings going into it, I was always glad I went along, and would enjoy myself much more than I thought I would.

One example of many: A few months ago, I recieved an unexpected call from a friend I had not had any contact with in about five years. He mentioned organizing a little "get together" for us and about six other previously good friends I hadn't talked to in about just as long - Sort of a whole "Let's get the old gang back together" thing. Initially, I thought this was an excellent idea, and was totally into it. I dug up some old stuff we did together hidden away in a box in the basement, thinking it would bring back some fun memories. I kept remembering things that I wanted to be sure to mention to them that would make for good conversations. I was totally prepared. Then, a couple weeks before this was all supposed to go down, the nerves really set in. I found myself hoping this friend would give me a call saying the whole thing was cancelled. Or maybe, I thought, I would just end up getting violently ill that weekend. Why the change of heart? I decided that my relationship with these people was buried way in the past, and any attempt to recapture that, even for one day, would be awkward and fruitless. I was so nervous a few days before, I refused to even think about it. Somewhere in my head, I think I was holding on to the comforting (but unfounded) feeling that this whole thing simply wasn't going to happen. Of couse though, the weekend came, and the couple of guys that didn't live in town anymore showed up. And I met up with them, because I just didn't have the heart to blow them off. And - big surprise! - It was an excellent weekend! I had so much fun. And "Remember When ..." may be the lowest form of conversation, but it certainly had us talking and laughing the whole time. Afterwards, I couldn't believe I hadn't been more excited prior to it, given how enjoyable the whole experience ended up being in the end.

It's a cliche story with a really obvious ending, but I figured it was worth mentioning. Though I must admit, I also said all that because it was a meaningful, wonderful experience to me, and I just like sharing it with people. Even though it's much less meaningful to them. I apologize for the long-winded nature of most of my posts, guys.

Perhaps finally seeing some of your fellow Chase Loungers in person would have a similar effect on you, and prove to be a satisfying send-off for your long-time "obsession"?

Surely I haven't posted much on this board and only recently signed up here, but I would welcome the opportunity to meet and chat with David Chase. As I live in Jersey it should be no problem to attend, given fair notice of a date. While it is highly unlikely that he would tell us "the real meaning" of the series ending, or any particular scenes from any episode, it would be a thrill to hear his perspective on just about anything he would want to talk about IMHO.

I'm in the camp of "the ending was brilliant" and I am sorry to hear of your change of heart, Fly. I hope you can still go ahead with trying to pull this meeting together. I think it would be enlightening, and like UP said, you may be surprised at how much fun you'll have! :icon_wink:

JerseyGirl wrote: While it is highly unlikely that he would tell us "the real meaning" of the series ending, or any particular scenes from any episode, it would be a thrill to hear his perspective on just about anything he would want to talk about IMHO.
I totally agree & I'm still all for it.

A date at or after Thanksgiving would be ok with me.

Return to “"Proshai, Sopranos: A Final Toast from The Chase Lounge"”