A Flashback to Chase and Rockford

For those of you who enjoyed the Rockford Files TV series, David Chase was a producer or writer on most of the 125 hours produced.

There were several actors who have appeared on both series, including George Oros who played "Anthony Boy" in two of the Rockford shows and who played the older mobster/rat on TS. He was the one who died while sitting in the front seat of the female FBI agents car (the second FBI agent who handled Ade).

Another actor who appeared in both series was Joyce Van Patten who played a counsellor to Janice. She starred in a two-part Rockford show called "To Serve & Protect".

Another was Joe Santos who played Dennis Becker on Rockford and Angelo Greppo - the aging mobster who shared a cell with Tony B.

But the most interesting one of all was Lauren Bacall who played in a two-part Rockford called Lions, Tigers, Monkeys & Dogs. It was so interesting because she played almost exactly the same scene as she did with Chris. In Rockford, she was walking along a sidewalk and got waylaid and fell to the sidewalk and hurt her arm. I have to wonder about the conversation she had with Chase about doing this show. I wonder if he told her it would be easy because it would be almost exactly the same scene that she did some 25 years before. The exact date that was released was 79/10/12.

Re: A Flashback to Chase and Rockford

Nothing to add to your lovely post, but to agree with your sentiments. It is heartening to see characters from "Jimmy's" old gang reappear in this new incarnation.

I do not recall LB's appearances, but vividly remember Dennis Becker as well as Joyce Van Patten's character as the crime scene/police groupie. It was a kick to see them both again.

TRF was a wonderful show. I catch glimpses of James Garner from time to time; his participation in stunts and action shots has really taken a toll on him physically...but what a charming and authentic guy.

</p>

I remember how when Jimmy would cross paths with LCN types, he would take on an attitude of dismissive disgust and always refer to them as "those guys." From TRF I think we may detect Chase's blueprint for his current thugs: menacing, at the same time hapless half-wits.

I haven't seen the show in syndication, but would like to one of these days.

</p>

I loved TRF when I was little, but haven't seen it since then. Thanks for sharing the information, especially about Lauren
Bacall -- I agree that it makes the scene more appreciated as a nod to TRF scenes.

I think there might be information on this board somewhere about TRF actors in Sopranos as well because I remember reading something and I haven't read too many other places.

</p>

ObservingEgo wrote:I remember how when Jimmy would cross paths with LCN types, he would take on an attitude of dismissive disgust and always refer to them as "those guys." From TRF I think we may detect Chase's blueprint for his current thugs: menacing, at the same time hapless half-wits.

I haven't seen the show in syndication, but would like to one of these days.

</p>
I bought the DVDs of Season 1 to 3 of the Rockford Files and confirmed my recollection. Several episodes do involve LCN types but they never have an obviously Italian sounding names. In fact, they almost always have totally un-ethnic names that cannot be traced to any groups. I always thought that this was a requirement of the network lawyers. In this way, they avoided some of the criticism levelled later at the Sopranos for allegedly defaming Italian-Americans.
biker 2
from frigid Ottawa Canada (near Harpo!)

Splishak wrote:For those of you who enjoyed the Rockford Files TV series, David Chase was a producer or writer on most of the 125 hours produced.

There were several actors who have appeared on both series, including George Oros who played "Anthony Boy" in two of the Rockford shows and who played the older mobster/rat on TS. He was the one who died while sitting in the front seat of the female FBI agents car (the second FBI agent who handled Ade).

Another actor who appeared in both series was Joyce Van Patten who played a counsellor to Janice. She starred in a two-part Rockford show called "To Serve & Protect".

Another was Joe Santos who played Dennis Becker on Rockford and Angelo Greppo - the aging mobster who shared a cell with Tony B.

But the most interesting one of all was Lauren Bacall who played in a two-part Rockford called Lions, Tigers, Monkeys & Dogs. It was so interesting because she played almost exactly the same scene as she did with Chris. In Rockford, she was walking along a sidewalk and got waylaid and fell to the sidewalk and hurt her arm. I have to wonder about the conversation she had with Chase about doing this show. I wonder if he told her it would be easy because it would be almost exactly the same scene that she did some 25 years before. The exact date that was released was 79/10/12.
And let's also not forget about Phil Leotardo's right-hand-guy, Butch. Greg Antonacci was in a couple Rockford episodes as well both written by David Chase - "The Jersey Bounce" & "Just a Coupla Guys".

ObservingEgo wrote:Nothing to add to your lovely post, but to agree with your sentiments. It is heartening to see characters from "Jimmy's" old gang reappear in this new incarnation.

I do not recall LB's appearances, but vividly remember Dennis Becker as well as Joyce Van Patten's character as the crime scene/police groupie. It was a kick to see them both again.

TRF was a wonderful show. I catch glimpses of James Garner from time to time; his participation in stunts and action shots has really taken a toll on him physically...but what a charming and authentic guy.

</p>
FYI, I have seen several movies in which JVP appeared and I couldn't believe what a fox she was in her younger years.

Anyone who is interested can find a list of all her films at IMDB.COM.

Return to “David Chase B.S. ('Besides Sopranos' of Course!)”