Re: Yet another question! FISH this time!

Also on the whole 'Pepper' theme, when Tony called Perry Annunziata in the back of Satriale's telling him to go warm up the car - he refers to him jokingly as the famous spicy Italian pasta dish "Penne Arrabiata", upon Chris' laughing, Tony exclaims "A real hothead this one, he has red pepper flakes up his a$$!"

Do all these pepper references allude to anything or just a coincidence - guess well find out!

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge.showUserPublicProfile?gid=giuseppesoprano>GiuseppeSoprano</A> at: 4/21/06 2:35 am

I just remembered one of my favourite lines from the show and the extra significance it has. Junior, referring to Carmine says, " he's a slippery f**k, with those big fish lips of his "? This could be a subtle reference to the singing fishes that upset Tony so much because of his dream of Pussy on the fish-stall at the waterfront. Also, there's the Godfather symbolism of " sleeping with the fishes", especially as Carmine dies later on. Of natural causes admittedly but still, the idea holds up I think.

dsweeney wrote:I just remembered one of my favourite lines from the show and the extra significance it has. Junior, referring to Carmine says, " he's a slippery f**k, with those big fish lips of his "? This could be a subtle reference to the singing fishes that upset Tony so much because of his dream of Pussy on the fish-stall at the waterfront. Also, there's the Godfather symbolism of " sleeping with the fishes", especially as Carmine dies later on. Of natural causes admittedly but still, the idea holds up I think.

I thought Junior was referring to Parisi as Richie and he were plotting Tony's demise, in one of the early episodes...
biker 2
from frigid Ottawa Canada (near Harpo!)

No, the quote I'm referring to is definitely in the context of Carmine. It's to do with Johnny Sac and Ralphie and the beef between them. Carmine, deciding Ralph is too good an earner in the construction industry, says John, his own underboss, has " to go", and not Ralph. Hence, Jun refers to him as " a slippery fuck", like a fish I suppose. And the " big fish lips of his" reminded me of the singing fish and olso of Pussy as the speaking fish in Tony's dream, in " Funhouse" I think.

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”