"Born Again" - Another book - another ending

I am seeing the beginnings of a pattern from DC using books to foreshadow potential endings to the Soprano saga.

First, "The Valachi Papers":

"In the 1960s a disgruntled soldier in New York's Genovese Crime Family decided to spill his guts. His name was Joseph Valachi. Daring to break the Mob's code of silence for the first time, Valachi detailed the organization of organized crimefrom the capos, or bosses, of every Family, to the hit men who "clipped" rivals and turncoats. With a phenomenal memory for names, dates, addresses, phone numbers -- and where the bodies were buried -- Joe Valachi provided the chilling facts that led to the arrest and conviction of America's major crime figures."

Second, "Born Again":

"Twenty years ago, against the backdrop of the explosive Watergate scandal, Charles Colson revealed the story of his own search for meaning during the tumultuous investigations that led to the collapse of the Nixon administration. A convicted former special counsel to the president, Colson paradoxically found new life not with success and power, but while in national disgrace and serving a prison sentence." According to the reverend, he found Jesus in prison and everything was different.

Two books and two possible endings. Will Tony work with the Feds and go into the witness protection program or go to jail and find God? In my opinion, as I've written in an earlier post, the latter is the only way (I can think of) that allows Tony to save his soul and his family. The former makes him a rat (never truely takes responsibility) and a target for future vendettas from the NJ and NY mob families.

Jtod

</p>

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”