Anyone Catch the Christmas Carol Reference?

New to the boards.

I thought last night was perhaps Chase's most genious moment in the show.

If you watch the scene where Tony is wheeled out of the hospital, you'll notice the bells ringing in the background, and Tony says "I'm supposed to be dead, but I'm not"

This is exactly how A Christmas Carol ends for Scrooge....think I'm off base? Consider this. Remember when Tony had the dream in season five where Annette Benning showed up as Finn's mom and Tony shoots Phil with his finger.

In that dream, he's walking thru his kitchen, and the end of A Christmas Carol is on the television. The bells are ringing and Scrooge is professing to his servant that he's not dead, he's alive.

I thought that Chase tying Tony's past dreams to his current reality was brilliant. I hope he does more of this in the future.

Anyone else pick up on this?

</p>

Re: Anyone Catch the Christmas Carol Reference?

...and this of course plays into the other discussions on this board about the 'new tony' the 'changed tony' the 'softer tony'... what have you. it's unreasonable to think that a person could go through such an experience as t has in these first episodes without changing in some way.. and probably a major change at that... tony's acquiescence about the 'prayer meeting' in his room before the closing operation was something that the old tony would never have sat still for... a sign that somewhere in his subconscious mind, the elements of his 'finnerty' persona are bubbling just below the surface.. in fact, I think he remembers more of it than he's letting on at this point. in any case, once again i was completely blown away by the sheer brilliance of the writing on this show. we will not see it's like again for a very long time.

</p>

Re: Anyone Catch the Christmas Carol Reference?

The main lesson of "A Christman Carol" is contained in these lines (which this thread made me think of right away). This is when the ghost of Scrooge's business partner, Marley, comes to visit him:

"Oh, woe is me! -- I wear the chain I forged in life. I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I crafted it of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?"
Scrooge trembled more and more.
"You were always a good man of business, Jacob" said Scrooge, "Business!" interrupted the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. My trade was so small a part of my business!"
"As part of my penance," pursued the Ghost. "I am here tonight to warn you, that you have yet a chance and hope of escaping my fate. A chance and hope, Ebenezer"

</p>

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”