Re: Dream Squence Thread

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>BTW, does anyone know what "Cosa Mesa" means? I assume "coast" something. Mountains?<hr></blockquote>Costa Mesa, CA, my home for many years, is near Orange County Airport. Its main geographic feature is a mesa that has a view of the ocean, overlooking Newport Beach. Not likely to have wildfires there, as it's pretty well developed. But there are a few hotels there that cater to business travellers and conventioneers. No Omni hotel there, either.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>But 'blackened' food doesn't mean it's burned. It's a matter of seasoning and spices that results in 'blackening'.<hr></blockquote>

I have to disagree on that one. It's cooked at a very high temperature until the surface coatings are burned. That's what imparts the black color.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>BTW, does anyone know what "Cosa Mesa" means?<hr></blockquote>

I think it was 'Costa Mesa.' 'Costa' does mean 'coast' - 'mesa' means 'table.'

I think that the light represents life - whenever Dream Tony gets hit with a light full-on, it's the lights at the hospital making their way into his dreams. The beacon light is way into the distant, fading in and out - he knows it's there, he keeps looking at it, but he just can't find his way to it.

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>I have to disagree on that one. It's cooked at a very high temperature until the surface coatings are burned. That's what imparts the black color. <hr></blockquote>

Okee, but i eat my filets blackened and rare. *shrug*

</p>

Johnny Sac said

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>I think it was 'Costa Mesa.' 'Costa' does mean 'coast' - 'mesa' means 'table.' <hr></blockquote>

To add to this.
www.costamesa-ca.com/home/history.html

The city was renamed in the 1920's. It means "coastal tableland." One interesting fact I've found looking around the net is that a good deal of miltary personal have retired there. Seems to fit with the theory that Tony wants out of the mob.

If you read the link. Notice that the town has had three different names and was know for cultivating oranges(Godfather anyone?) in the past. It's more then likely just me digging to deep, but i thought that was interesting.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge.showUserPublicProfile?gid=porkstore>Pork Store</A> at: 3/20/06 2:51 am

Ok, granted I have only seen the episode once. But, many of my thoughts about the mistaken identity have already been posted. What has not been posted (as far as I have seen) is the ending with Tony in the hotel room. Essentially, Tony (in his coma-dream) is a Tony without the mob, living a different life. Many would say that this is what Tony, despite his monetary gains from the mob-life, really desires. A life without crime (I am reminded of Coma-Tony stating "It's fraud!" in a purely innocent voice). But I digress, in the last few minutes of the episode, Tony considers "calling home" once more before going to sleep, this is his connection with his "real life". Ok, this has also been covered before, but is required to establish my analysis. Furthermore, some have conjectured the light on the horizon is his death or also his way back home. Either way, it is relatively unimportant for my points. After considering his call back home, Coma-Tony places the phone back down.

To me this ultimately showed how unhappy Tony is with his mob life. He is considering not calling them, and thereby breaking his ties to the phone. Furthermore, Coma-Tony is a completely different person. A person who is having an utterly BAD day. Losing his ID, being slapped by a monk, being turned down by a co-worker, unable to get home, unable to go to work, on a trip he never wanted to go on, falling down the stairs, finding out he has alzheimers, going through hell to get a hotel room, and all alone in strange city. However, even on such a bad day, he would rather stay in that life then make a connection to his real life back (with Carm and Silvio and the rest, but to me this is a real metaphor for organized crime). To me that is VERY powerful, he is MORE happy in this life on the worst day of his life, then he is in his life of crime with the millions of dollars he has made. This might not be the deepest observation, and maybe I am stating what the rest of you all know, I had not see it mentioned previously. So shoot some observations back!

</p>

In the scene where the helicopters flew overhead and shined their searchlights on Tony and his potential paramour, she remarked to him that "they were looking for perps." We've often heard accounts of folks near death seeing a blinding light ("go toward the light" etc), with the supposition that it is God / heaven.

What if the light from the helicopter is Satan (who is looking for "perps" for, well, obvious reasons)?

Cosa Mesa seems to have the earmarks of purgatory ... on one side we've got the wildfires raging (hell?), on the other we've got a light on the horizon (heaven?).

(and in a bit of stretch, Tony's comment "I'm lost" made me think of the TV show "LOST" whose viewers are constantly theorizing that the castways are in purgatory)

</p>

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”