Re: Indian Saying

Or the anti-Poor you.

Did anyone catch a glimpse of the kind of scary woman turning around in the door of the mansion that Steve Buscemi was trying to get Tony to enter? I thought of Livia.

Actually, never mind my stupid musings, that blurb is part of a longer poem:

(from a longer poem, I can't remember all of it...maybe it's online)

I Sing, I sing

You cannot harm me
You cannot harm
One who has dreamed
A dream like mine.

Sometimes I go about
in pity for myself
And all the while
a great wind carries me
across the sky.

It is not true, it is not true
we come to live here
we come here only to sleep,
we come here only to dream.

-Ojibwa

What that means, well, have fun tossing it around

</p>

The vast majority of references to this saying I have found online are worded:

Sometimes I go about
In pity for myself,
And all the while,
A great wind
Is bearing me across the sky.

- Ojibwa saying

It seems like this is another "bear" tie-in.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p098.ezboard.com/bthechaselounge.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jackiejr@thechaselounge>JackieJr</A>
at: 3/27/06 3:53 pm

Centering in Word and Silence
This story is taken from Walking Toward Morning, by Rev. Victoria Safford.

A few years ago a friend of the family had [lost his way home. He had] a great gravity of need. His partner in life was leaving, and his four teenage children, whom he’d held as babies and loved and raised all this time, had all but stopped speaking to him. He’s a baker and an artist, and his business was in tatters…One night…he called to tell us about an anonymous note someone had mailed to his bakery. We weren’t at home, so he read it into our answering machine.

“Hey guys. Listen to this note that someone sent today: ‘Sir. You have saved my life with bread. Thank you. An old friend.’”

Our friend was silent for a long while…Then came his voice again, asking, as if we could answer through the tape, “What do you think of that?” He was quiet, then said, “It makes me think of an old Ojibwe song, the ‘Song of the Bird’: ‘Sometimes I go about in pity for myself, and all the while the wind is bearing me across the sky.’”

That was his whole message, and not long after that, it seemed…by grace and his own will…our friend was healed.” And found his way back home.

www.uucb.org/sermons/2003092101

</p>

The Ojibwe saying, I felt, paid homage to mystery of a higher power and a leap of faith into spirituality...that there just may be something bigger than ourselves. We do not know who tacked it on the board, but we are getting glimpses of Tony's reconstructing value system, existential choices and near death. In a rather highly metaphysical season, this is just but one more glimpse of the possibility for an emergently more contemplative Tony.

</p>

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”