Doctors Plepler and Tashlan

Hi all! I'm a new poster here. Very impressed by the level of discussion.

Just a note on the names of the Doctors. Dr. Plepler: there is a Richard Plepler who is associated with HBO and the Sopranos. If you do a Google search on his name you can find him.

Dr. Tashlan: As a lifetime fan of C. S. Lewis, I recognized the name Tashlan as being from the last book of the Narnia series. Aslan is the Jesus figure in Narnia. The name of the anti-Jesus or devil is Tash. In "The Last Battle" there is a character that is against the Narnians and he tries to convince everyone that there is only one "god", Tashlan....Tash and Aslan are one and the same.

If this post belongs in one of the existing threads, my apologies.

</p>

Re: Doctors Plepler and Tashlan

Fantastic post, Reffy! "Shadowlands" is one of my favorite all-time movies, not least because of Anthony Hopkins and the George Fenton score, but I also was very moved by the love story between Lewis and Joy. It motivated me to learn a little about C.S. Lewis' life, and I bought the Narnia Chronicles for my niece, although I have read very little of it myself. And, sadly, I really didn't get much out of the "Lion Witch and Wardrobe" movie that recently came out.

So thanks for that "Tashlan" catch. That makes perfect sense of the percieved duality in the "Finnerty" character (a duality that -- in a more muted way -- was also true of Coach Molinaro in Test Dream). Finnerty sells heating systems and is from the hottest state in the country, is from a town famed for "Route 66" (one six shy of a satanic inference) and has pissed off some monks by selling them defective heaters. Yet at the same time, he's from "Kingman" Arizona; Route 66 is known as the "Mother Road" as it represents the way to a new life and to opportunity; and the monks that were pissed were pissed because Finnerty's heaters failed to provide the needed warmth and because he failed to respond to their "letters and phone calls". Since these were pretty aggressive monks hanging arouond Costa Mesa (waiting area for vegetables on their way to hell, LOL), you could conclude that the monks were pissed at God, not Satan, and that their beef with Finnerty was a beef with God, thus they were on their way to hell too.

The duality explains why some have seen Finnerty as a Satanic figure and why I (and others?) see him as a representation of God (and more specifically, Jesus).

Further, the Tashlan angle you articulated also explains why Tashlan is strangely never seen (like Finnerty) even though his presence is promised. The Asian doctor promises Carmela, "Tashlan will stop by". Next morning, Plepler asks what "Tashlan had to say", and Carmela informs him that he never showed. This doctor is MIA yet seems to have input into Tony's treatment and fate.

Meanwhile, in parallel to this, the mysterious Finnerty enters Tony's coma life, is never seen either, but is clearly a major force in Tony's fate . . . having sparked his identity crisis with the briefcase switch, having financed his stay at the Omni when he couldn't find lodging elsewhere (i.e., prolonged his life in the coma), and having paid for his trip to the ER, where Tony gets an unusually early diagnosis of his pathology and encouragement to seek help "back home". Fascinating additional piece to the puzzle.

You are 100% correct on the "Plepler" angle. Chase confirmed somewhere that the name was chosen in "honor" of the HBO Plepler, even though the character apparently isn't so honorable.

</p>

What a brilliant summation Fly! It's nice to have it all pulled together so succinctly as we head into the next chapter tonight.

Just a note on the Narnia movies. In my opinion, great visual movies have and will be made from the Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and the Harry Potter series. The books really have to be read to get the most out of the stories.

I also enjoyed the Shadowlands movie. During the only week I have ever been to England, I went to the Eagle and Child in Oxford to toast Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien. So much of the writing I have enjoyed over the years was discussed there.

Do Soprano message boarders have a gathering place or do all of the meetings take place online? Perhaps we could have a big get together when the series ends.

</p>

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Fantastic post, Reffy! "Shadowlands" is one of my favorite all-time movies, not least because of Anthony Hopkins and the George Fenton score, but I also was very moved by the love story between Lewis and Joy. It motivated me to learn a little about C.S. Lewis' life, and I bought the Narnia Chronicles for my niece, although I have read very little of it myself. And, sadly, I really didn't get much out of the "Lion Witch and Wardrobe" movie that recently came out.

So thanks for that "Tashlan" catch. That makes perfect sense of the percieved duality in the "Finnerty" character (a duality that -- in a more muted way -- was also true of Coach Molinaro in Test Dream). Finnerty sells heating systems and is from the hottest state in the country, is from a town famed for "Route 66" (one six shy of a satanic inference) and has pissed off some monks by selling them defective heaters. Yet at the same time, he's from "Kingman" Arizona][/i]

I don't know how I missed this one, but it is GREAT Fly! I have a feeling that this will play into these last 8 more than people expect.
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][color="DarkSlateBlue"]I didn’t want to show crime pays, I didn’t want to show crime doesn’t pay...David Chase on the ending[/color][/SIZE][/font]

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”