Sushi

Hopefully this hasn't already been discussed ad nauseum, but I was just thinking about the recurring symbolism on the show, its growing preoccupation with death, and the idea that Tony's own head, as well as the "sinking ship" of the "Members Only" opening monologue, are surrounded by the souls of the dead a la the Season 5 cover art. Someone pointed out that sushi has symbolized sex or oral sex, which I agree with, but since this show is so rich that symbols often have multiple meanings, I'd like to suggest that it also represents the dead.

From Godfather to the Funhouse dream to Carmela's "other fish in the sea" comment upon Ade's death, fish have represented the dearly departed. I think Chase having Tony and Carmela chowing down on sushi was rather subtle, disturbing symbolism that they are figuratively "dining on the dead," so to speak.

</p>

Re: Sushi

'dining on the dead ' -- that's absolutely perfect. spot on.

this connection is maybe a bit weak, i admit , but i will throw it out there anyway: remember when T couldn't look at the 'billy big mouth bass' without totally losing it? now he's happily gorging on billy's friends. tony is repressing (in no small part with food) and in major denial ('it's a nursing home;' i didn't think about smothering my mother,etc.)

interesting thing though, IMHO, people often go into major denials/repression when they are just on the verge of a major `breakthru' - what was once deeply repressed is now bubbling just below the surface. that's why the denial/repression gets more intense - a frenzied effort to avoid dealing with whatever breakthru realization is screaming to get out (we can 't know for sure what this will be in T's case, but we've had 5 seasons worth of all sorts of good hints...)

</p>

Any thoughts why Tony and Carmela never went back to Nori's after the shooting?
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][color="DarkSlateBlue"]I didn’t want to show crime pays, I didn’t want to show crime doesn’t pay...David Chase on the ending[/color][/SIZE][/font]

WhistlingInTheWheatfield wrote:Good point. It is one of those things that starts up and gets dropped, like Tony's coke use in Season 5.

IMO, I think it is important to the final 5. I can't explain why. But I have a feeling that something is out of sequence.
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][color="DarkSlateBlue"]I didn’t want to show crime pays, I didn’t want to show crime doesn’t pay...David Chase on the ending[/color][/SIZE][/font]

WhistlingInTheWheatfield wrote:It is one of those things that starts up and gets dropped, like Tony's coke use in Season 5.

That was never a big issue or an important plot or whatever. We just saw one episode where Tony did coke twice
Doing a little coke for a short period won't send you over the edge, unless you got an addiction like Chris did

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”