Re: Bells, Duality, Metaphysics, schrodingers Cat Oh my!

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]The Two Davids, Chase and Lynch[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]When it came to writing the show's pilot, Chase took Brad Grey at his word. He didn't want that stuff they did on the networks. Chase would give him something different. "I didn't really watch much television until the first season of Twin Peaks, in 1990," he explains. "That was an eye-opener for me. There's mystery in everything David Lynch does. I don't mean, Who killed Laura Palmer? There's a whole other level of stuff going on, this sense of the mysterious, of the poetic, that you see in great painting, that you see in foreign films, that's way more than the sum of its parts. I didn't see that on television. I didn't see anybody even trying it.”
[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]There is no doubt that Chase is also influenced by his contemporary and fellow great filmmaker, David Lynch. Especially in storytelling style and visual feel.There are lots of Lynchian overtones to the Sopranos. For example, the brown panelling in Melfi's office is reminiscent of the many interior shots on Twin Peaks.[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Even the final Holstens scene has shades of Twin Peaks[/font][/SIZE]

[img]http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/uploads/2007/06/ep86_02[1].jpg[/img]
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]
But no doubt where the Sopranos and Twin Peaks meet the most visually and textually is in the dream sequences. The lighting and everything is very Lynch like. No doubt Chase borrowed a few techniques from a fellow master of the craft. Heres a few examples.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.[/font][SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Salon:David Lynch likes to talk about “films that make you dream.” Few people have compared you to David Lynch, probably, but I would argue that the two of you are approaching American experience through a similar lens. Of course when he says that, he’s mostly talking about Bergman, Fellini and Hitchcock, the filmmakers that matter the most to him. Which I imagine …
Chase: Yeah, they’re mine too. And David Lynch is also someone I look up to. I have a great deal of admiration for him. Nobody does dreams like he does[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Its easy to say that Chase, with his show "The Sopranos", was onto many similar surrealist type themes like Lynch. Also like Lynch, Chase is one of those rare gifted filmmakers that can pull it off on film. Lets look at some examples of this surrealism in the Sopranos.
[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]The last photo is a scene from Livias funeral where Pussys ghost makes an appearance in case you missed it. In the scene, after Tony closes the door, he looks over in the direction of the reflection and pauses as if sensing the presence. Very much remicisant of Twin Peaks and another example of a nod to Lynch. [/font][/SIZE]
[SIZE="6"][font="Times New Roman"]I look at the world and I see absurdity all around me. People do strange things constantly, to the point that, for the most part, we manage not to see it. That's why I love coffee shops and public places – I mean, they're all out there.-David Lynch[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]In the episode "remember when" there is a character named Professor Brian Lynch played by Charley Morgan who bears a very Lynch-ian resemblance. This episode is arguably one of the most Lynch-ian of them all.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="6"][font="Times New Roman"]Lets take a look at what wikipedia says about David Lynch[/font][/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Lynch says that his work is more similar in many respects to those of European film makers than American ones, believing that most films that "get down and thrill your soul" were by European directors.Lynch has commented on his admiration for such film makers as Stanley Kubrick, Federico Fellini, Werner Herzog and Jacques Tati.He has also stated that Billy Wilder's Sunset Boulevard (1950) is one of his favourite films,as is Kubrick's Lolita (1962).
There are several recurring themes within Lynch's work, leading film critics Le Blanc and Odell to state that "his films are so packed with motifs, recurrent characters, images, compositions and techniques that you could view his entire output as one large jigsaw puzzle of ideas".[108] One of the key themes that they noted was the usage of dreams and dreamlike imagery and structure within his works, something they related to the "surrealist ethos" of relying "on the subconscious to provide visual drive". This can be seen in John Merrick's dream of his mother in The Elephant Man, Agent Cooper's dreams of the red room in Twin Peaks and the "dreamlike logic" of the narrative found in Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.[109] Discussing his attitude to dreams, Lynch has stated that "Waking dreams are the ones that are important, the ones that come when I'm quietly sitting in a chair, letting my mind wander. When you sleep, you don't control your dream. I like to dive into a dream world that I've made or discovered; a world I choose ... [You can't really get others to experience it, but] right there is the power of cinema."[110] His films are known for their use of magic realism.(emphasis added)[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="6"][font="Times New Roman"]Lets take a look at what wikipedia says about Lynchs use of imagery:[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Another of Lynch's prominent themes include industry, with repeated imagery of "the clunk of machinery, the power of pistons, shadows of oil drills pumping, screaming woodmills and smoke billowing factories", as can be seen with the industrial wasteland in Eraserhead, the factories in The Elephant Man, the sawmill in Twin Peaks and the lawn mower in The Straight Story.[111] Describing his interest in such things, Lynch stated that "It makes me feel good to see giant machinery, you know, working: dealing with molten metal. And I like fire and smoke. And the sounds are so powerful. It's just big stuff. It means that things are being made, and I really like that."[112]
Another theme is the dark underbelly of violent criminal activity within a society, such as with Frank's gang in Blue Velvet and the cocaine smugglers in Twin Peaks. The idea of deformity is also found in several of Lynch's films, from The Elephant Man to the deformed baby in Eraserhead, as well as death from head wounds, found in most of Lynch's films. Other imagery commonly used in Lynch's works are flickering electricity or lights, fire and stages upon which a singer performs, often surrounded by drapery.[111]
With the exception of The Elephant Man and Dune, which are set in Victorian London and a fictitious galaxy respectively, all of Lynch's films have been set in the United States, and he has stated that "I like certain things about America and it gives me ideas. When I go around and I see things, it sparks little stories, or little characters pop out, so it just feels right to me to, you know, make American films."[113] A number of his works, including Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks and Lost Highway are intentionally reminiscent of the 1950s American culture despite being set in the later decades of the 20th century. Lynch for this era that coincided with his childhood by stating that "It was a fantastic decade in a lot of ways ... there was something in the air that is not there any more at all. It was such a great feeling, and not just because I was a kid. It was a really hopeful time, and things were going up instead of going down. You got the feeling you could do anything. The future was bright. Little did we know we were laying the groundwork then for a disastrous future."[114]
Lynch also tends to feature his leading female actors in "split" roles, so that many of his female characters have multiple, fractured identities. This practice began with his choice to cast Sheryl Lee as both Laura Palmer and her cousin Maddy Ferguson in Twin Peaks and continued in his later works. In Lost Highway, Patricia Arquette plays the dual role of Renee Madison/Alice Wakefield, while in Mulholland Drive Naomi Watts plays Diane Selwyn/Betty Elms and Laura Harring plays Camilla Rhodes/Rita and in Inland Empire Laura Dern plays Nikki Grace/Susan Blue. By contrast, Lynch rarely creates multi-character roles for his male actors.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]In the shows finale "Made in America" AJ Soprano delivers a very David Lynch type line.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]"We were discussing "dream girls."-Jason Parisi
"Don't you see it? You people are fucked.YOU'RE LIVING IN A DREAM. You still sit here talking about the fucking Oscars? "what rough beast slouches toward bethlehem to be born?" -AJ[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]POST: How important are sound and music to you?
“For a long time, I’ve always done a lot of my conceptual thinking while listening to music — mainly rock and blues, so it starts right there. When I first got into TV, my whole basis for anything was dialogue, because I was skilled at it, and TV back then was pretty primitive visually. Then Michael Mann came along, and for me was the first person to focus more on the cinematic side of a story. That really impressed me, and then you had David Lynch and Twin Peaks, and his great use of music and sound, and all that changed the whole TV landscape for me.”-Chase[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]There is also the instance of actors who have worked for both Chase and Lynch. First being Alicia Witt with her part in "D Girl".[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]She was also in Twin Peaks[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Second and maybe more recognizable for his role in Lynchs "Lost Highway" is actor Robert Loggia who plays Feech Lemana on The Sopranos.[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]And Mr Eddy on Lost Highway[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Another Lynch technique that the Chase Machine employs is Actor Allusions. Heres a list of occurrences of this on The Sopranos from allthetropes.com:[/SIZE][/font]

1. [SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]In one episode, Paulie says, "I lived through The Seventies by the skin of my nuts when the Colombos were goin' at it." Tony Sirico, the actor who plays Paulie, actually was an associate of the Colombo crime family before turning to acting.[/font][/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]There are several references to Bruce Springsteen in the show (Chris: "The turnpike is jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive."), whom Steven van Zandt has played with for years. But it's difficult to tell if it's a deliberate Allusion because, hey, it's Jersey.[/font][/SIZE]
  3. [font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Gloria Trillo really loves a song played on the radio, Steve Van Zandt's Affection[/SIZE][/font]
  4. [SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]A recursive one. The lead in Christopher's movie Cleaver is named Michael. The character is based on Chris himself, who is played by Michael Imperioli. In-universe it is probably a Shout-Out to Michael Corleone from The Godfather.[/font][/SIZE]
  5. [font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Chris shoots a bakery worker in the foot for taking too long with his order. In Goodfellas, he was shot in the foot for taking too long making a drink.[/SIZE][/font]
  6. [SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]The murder of Angelo Garepe referred back to the death of Billy Batts in Goodfellas; both were beaten, thrown into a car trunk, and shot while pleading for their life. Batts was played by actor Frank Vincent (Phil Leotardo) who reverses his role from victim to executioner.[/font][/SIZE]
  7. [font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Michael Imperioli wrote five episodes of The Sopranos and was the only actor to write multiple episodes. This would probably explain Christopher's interest in screenwriting and production.[/SIZE][/font]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Another trope is called Celebrity Paradox which both Davids use. Heres some examples on The Sopranos[/font][/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Celebrity Paradox:[/font][/SIZE]
  1. [font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]In one episode, Tony watches The Fugitive -- oddly, he doesn't notice that Ralphie has a minor role in it.[/SIZE][/font]
  2. [SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Goodfellas. It's mentioned quite a few times in the series, even though half of the major cast are in it, including but not limited to Michael Imperioli (Christopher), Vincent Pastore (Pussy), Tony Sirico (Paulie), Frank Vincent (Phil) and Lorraine Bracco (Dr. Melfi), who played a major supporting role in the film as the main character's wife.[/font][/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Similarly, The Godfather Part II is referenced a number of times, in which Dominick Chianese (Uncle Junior) has a supporting role as Johnny Ola.[/font][/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Frankie Valli is mentioned several times, is an acquaintance of Tony's and the names of some of his songs are used in a few episode titles. He appears in later seasons playing the New York underboss Rusty Millio.[/font][/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Chris references Bruce Springsteen in one Episode even though Steven Van Zandt (Silvio) is guitar player in the E Street Band.[/font][/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]So as we see, although there isn’t a long list of homages to Lynch like there is with Kubrick, its still noteworthy to point out if not Lynchs influence at least Chases respect for his technique and treatment of surrealism on the screen. For without a doubt Lynch was\is the original master of the TV genre with his still hugely popular cult classic Twin Peaks. Showtime is even planning on running a new version of Twin Peaks coming soon, thats how huge it still is. So its important to point out this "Other David” in order to understand the techniques Chase and Co. use in their storytelling. What we begin to realize if we look real close, is that the Sopranos is practically a Lynch-ian treatment of the Mob genre via Chase. Now lets go a little deeper down the rabbit hole, I think Artie has a recipe….[/font][/SIZE]
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.[/font][SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

[SIZE="6"][font="Times New Roman"]This is an ongoing piece of work. I encourage you to come back frequently and look for anything that has been added and or edited. Im not always able to catch gramatical stuff on first or second pass, so it'll be a minute or two while I work on editing it. Im not just editing grammar though, as the entire piece here is a process in itself. So once again I politely ask you to "Bear with us". Although it will always remain a living document, When the time comes where it feels mostly complete I will let it be known. Enjoy it as it is in the meantime warts and all and enjoy watching or participating even in the editing process. I appreciate comments that add to the discourse but I encourage you to wait until I unveil this piece in its entirety. More new stuff to come so if you're paying attention, stay tuned.....[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]So now that I have your attention, lets now turn to some of the other subtextual things going on in the Sopranos. Theres a few different ones I’m going to touch on but before I continue I want to say some things.
In deciding which topic to tackle next I found myself dizzy by all the different options, the mountain of material that the Chase Machine left behind. Yes indeed, “It goes on and on..” ITS THAT MUCH when you really look at it. And its funny because Chase has been saying this all along yet I feel a lot of us are missing out on so much of the experience. Thats my main motivation for making this. The amount of connections and free association going on is staggering, And in this age of wikipedia it allows us to almost instantly find answers to questions. When the shows were still airing, especially the first 3 seasons, this wasn’t the case. These days compared to then we can more easily and readily find answers to trivial pieces dropped throughout the show than most of us could back then. I feel that the Chase machine was well aware of the oncoming digital age and ended up defining the way DVDs were presented in many ways. They even joke about this fact on the show. So its safe to say, they intended for us to go back someday, and find this stuff. Kinda like a sleuth, or maybe a crossword puzzle, or maybe we see how everything truly is connected, not just on the show, but in life itself. Thats all about that for now. Lets move onto the next subject I want to cover.[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="7"]“Anybody wants to WATCH it, it's ALL there”-David Chase[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]"I don’t need a gynecologist to know which way the WIND BLOWS!"-Tony (to Melfi in they Last session)[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]HAL the Wizard and the BELL (because a BELL is what rings at the beginning and the end of each ROUND)[/SIZE][/font]

[URL=http://s341.photobucket.com/user/Allardyce99/media/Sopranos-tv-
17.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]As discussed in detail already, Chase loves Kubrick, as do most students of film. And why do most people love Kubrick? I would argue because they know that his movies, especially the ones made from the 1960s on, were full of subconcious information, that there was more going on than a person watching something for the first time can fully comprehend. The idea that metadata exists within a myth yet also exists in a multi dimensional space beyond the myth into reality. That one “easter egg” in itself could be a goldmine of further information and study. This is fascinating and makes film a living thing rather than just some straight forward experience. Yet they can feel these things they can’t fully understand. [/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]I say all this because every good story needs a wizard, and even the Sopranos has one or two. The first one being Chase of course. The second one being HAL Holbrook aka John Schwin aka Mr Wizard on the show exclusively in the Episode “The Fleshy Part of the thigh.” It is essential that we examine not only this episode but most importantly the words of John Schwin within it.
Lets deal with the title of the episode HAL is most featured in. Wikipedia offers a few interesting interpretations of what “The fleshy part of the thigh" refers to. Lets take a look.[/font][/SIZE]
-When discussing ways to increase Marvin the rapper's popularity, Bobby proposes delivering to him a relatively benign gunshot wound to "the fleshy part of the thigh". This would be done to increase his reputation, popularity, and his appearance as a gangster to his fans.

-The title could also obliquely reference a Native American story featuring Manabozho, an OJIBWE trickster figure. Common to various tellings of the story are Manabozho's initial encounter with a group of WATERFOWL and his use of song to convince them to dance with their eyes shut for an extended period of time during which he kills many of them. Before Manabozho lies down to rest after the remaining birds have escaped, he tells a part of his lower body, typically his thigh, to wake him if anyone comes to steal the bodies.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]The second explanation is most interesting and one idea I had never uncovered until recently. But considering the quote we see popping up thoughtout this episode, from Ojibwa origins, its seems fair to say this second explanation is a very rich goldmine naught explored much before. [/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]First of all to have the myth referenced to involve of all things WATERFOWL aka DUCKS! Then he essentially is protecting the ducks. Even though he has captured them to eat, the point is Manabozho is ultimately still their protector\caregiver. This very much resonates with the one of the biggest storylines running thorough the show. The ducks and their connection to the family. As we will further see, this episode, episode[/font][/SIZE][SIZE="6"] #69 [/SIZE][SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]i might add, offers many other interesting nuggets that touch on the larger things at play through the entirity of the whole series. It also reveals and communicates to us more directly than any episode, that the Chase Machine is running strong, and has been since the "PILOT episode", incase we hadn’t noticed, Mr Wizard has come to tap his magic Hollywood wand on our head and reveal to us many of the metaphysical aspects of this show that have been at play since day one all the way through to the end....[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]"Sink the Bismarck"[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Now that we have had a look at the significance of the title of this episode, lets slip further into the rabbit hole of the episode itself. This JOURNEY, if you will, begins with a quote in the very beginning from Carmela.[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="6"][font="Times New Roman"]"There was something on "Sink The Bismarck," but half the pages were gone.” Carmela[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Seems sorta innocent at first listen when you hear it on the show but after a few times of watching this episode I couldn’t help to wonder what the (mouths the words fuck) she’s talking about with this Sink the Bismarck stuff. And then to mention how she also mentions its missing half its pages which if one READS into that could see a wink at the viewer that maybe theres more than meets the eye. I think its telling us that the pages are missing because the writers of the Sopranos have taken a page out of that movies book metaphorically speaking. One interesting point about “sink the bismarck” in relation to The Sopranos as a cultural phenomenon is this little excerpt from wikipedia I found...
[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]The films Ulysses and I'll Never Forget What's'isname (both 1967) are contenders for being the first film to use the word 'fuck,' although the word 'fucking' is clearly mouthed silently in the film Sink the Bismarck! (1960)[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]So, one could argue that is definitely a wink to the use of the word FUCK which the Sopranos clearly took to another level for a TV show. But also if we look at the plot of the movie “Sink the Bismark” we see some other parallels that explain why some “pages” are missing. Someone is clearly taking pages out of a book. Lets see what wikipedia says about the plot.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]In 1939, Nazi Germany's largest and most powerful battleship, Bismarck, is launched in a ceremony at Hamburg with Adolf Hitler attending. The launching of the hull is seen as the beginning of a new era of German sea power.(launching of Phil)

Two years later, in 1941, British convoys are being ravaged by U-boats and surface raider attacks which cut off supplies which Britain needs to continue the war. In May, British intelligence discovers the Bismarck and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen are about to break out of the Baltic and into the North Atlantic to attack convoys.

The man assigned to co-ordinate the hunt is the Admiralty's chief of operations, Captain Jonathan Shepard (Kenneth More), who has been distraught over the death of his wife in an air raid and the sinking of his ship by German ships commanded by Admiral Günther Lütjens (Karel Štěpánek). Upon receiving his new post, Shepard discovers Lütjens is the fleet commander on the Bismarck. Shepard's experience of conflict with Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine and his understanding of Lütjens allow him to predict the Bismarck '​s movements. Shepard is aggressive to his staff but comes increasingly to rely on the coolness and skill of his assistant, WRNS Second Officer Anne Davis (Dana Wynter).

Lütjens is also bitter. After the First World War, he considered that he had received no recognition for his efforts in the war. Lütjens promises the captain of the Bismarck, Ernst Lindemann (Carl Möhner), that this time, he and Germany will be remembered in greatness.

The break-out of the Bismarck and its escort Prinz Eugen includes the sinking of HMS Hood in the waters south of Iceland. The battleship's escape is shadowed by smaller British ships. Shepard, obsessed with Bismarck, must endure the likely death of his son as an air-gunner on a Fairey Swordfish torpedo bomber from HMS Ark Royal, one of the British ships deployed to the hunt. He gambles that Lütjens is returning to friendly waters where U-boats and air cover will make it impossible to attack.

Shepard commits large forces stripped from convoy escort and uses Catalina flying boats to search for the battleship. His hunch proves correct, and Bismarck is located, apparently steaming towards the German-occupied French coast. British forces have a narrow window to destroy or slow their prey before German support and their own diminishing FUEL supplies prevent further attack. Swordfish aircraft from HMS Ark Royal have two chances. The first fails: they misidentify HMS Sheffield as Bismarck; the new magnetic torpedo detonators are faulty and most explode as they hit the water. Switching to conventional contact detonators, the second attack is successful, with damage jamming Bismarck '​s rudder.(emphasis added)

Unable to repair the rudder, the German battleship steams in circles. A night attack by British destroyers torpedoes Bismarck, but the battleship returns fire, destroying one of the pursuing destroyers.[N 2] The main force of British ships (including battleships HMS Rodney and HMS King George V) find Bismarck the next day, raining gunfire on her. Lütjens in his final moments insists to Lindemann that German forces will arrive to save them, but he dies when a shell destroys Bismarck '​s bridge.

After the sinking of the Bismarck, and having been told that his son has been rescued, Shepard asks Davis out to dinner, believing it to be nine o'clock at night, only to realise it is nine in the morning. Davis suggests breakfast, and they walk off together.[/SIZE][/font]

So just plug in Tony“I’m your Captain” Soprano as Shephard in the plot line and we see some more paralells. For the sake of time I’m not going into a further analysis rather leave up to you to see the ambiguity of Carmelas statement for what it is. Its very revelatory yet done so plainly and quickly we don’t even think to give it any meaning. The Chase Machine at its best.One thing I will point out as an interesting parallel is the last part about how he asks her out to dinner not realizing its actually nine in the morning rather than nine at night. Kinda speaks to the Holsten scene. But let us not stop here, we have much further to go down this rabbit hole…..[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]Deep throat aka John Schwinn aka Mr Wizard aka HAL Holbrook[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]Deep Throat loses his throat and is silenced after explaining to Tony [/SIZE][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="7"]"everything is everything"[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]For those who don’t get the reference, the actor Hal Holbrook famously played “Deep Throat” in the blockbuster expose “All the Presidents Men”. Of course the writers of the Sopranos never miss a chance at metaphorical irony [/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Upon dissecting the episode “The Fleshy part of the thigh” I discovered that it touches on a theme. This theme is one not only resonates with all of Season 6 until the “end” but arguably the entire series. The theme is something called Quantum entanglement. Now of course, most of us are not rocket scientists, so I will attempt to translate into something understandable to most of us. Lets start this part of this analysis by looking at what wikipedia says about this subject;[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Quantum entanglement is a physical phenomenon that occurs when pairs or groups of particles are generated or interact in ways such that the quantum state of each particle cannot be described independently—instead, a quantum state may be given for the system as a whole.
Such phenomena were the subject of a 1935 paper by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky and Nathan Rosen,[1] and several papers by Erwin Schrödinger shortly thereafter,[2][3] describing what came to be known as the EPR paradox. Einstein and others considered such behavior to be impossible, as it violated the local realist view of causality (Einstein referred to it as "spooky action at a distance"),[4] and argued that the accepted formulation of quantum mechanics must therefore be incomplete. Later, however, the counterintuitive predictions of quantum mechanics were verified experimentally.[5]Experiments have been performed involving measuring the polarization or spin of entangled particles in different directions, which—by producing violations of Bell's inequality—demonstrate statistically that the local realist view cannot be correct. This has been shown to occur even when the measurements are performed more quickly than light could travel between the sites of measurement: there is no lightspeed or slower influence that can pass between the entangled particles.[6] Recent experiments have measured entangled particles within less than one part in 10,000 of the light travel time between them.[7] According to the formalism of quantum theory, the effect of measurement happens instantly.[8][9] It is not possible, however, to use this effect to transmit classical information at faster-than-light speeds[10] (see Faster-than-light → Quantum mechanics).(emphasis added)[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Heres an visual representation;[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]So in simpler terms one could say that what we have is two equal yet opposite and opposing entities who appear separate but are actual equal. Theres a quote later on in the episode where Schwinn says just that, but we will get to that quote in a bit. This theme is ever present if one looks at not just the last 2 seasons, but the entire show itself. [/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]Notice a similarity (robes) yet an opposing character? [/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Notice the appearance of the word BELL again in the article. We will get back to that. The important thing to note for now is the ideas about pairs, twins, or dual, or even duel, as in boxing. Now we got that idea started lets get back to our main man in this episode, Mr Wizard aka John Schwinn. Lets take apart this character the one time he appears on the show. As we talk about him we will talk about parts of the episode as well as, keep in mind, “everything is connected” which is why its hard to find out where to start this entire analysis even. Its almost as if The Sopranos itself has been turned into a representation of a complicated physics equation that has to do with Creation. Lets take a look at the characters first scene and dialogue with Tony. I’m going to capitalize a couple words I want to emphasize. [/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]"Hope you got some sleep last night. I was snoring like a son of a bitch.”-Tony
"Oh, I hope you got some sleep.I was cutting farts like SONIC booms. John SCHWINN.”-John
"Oh, bicycle heir.”Tony
"Unfortunately no relation. I was just a foot soldier at BELL Labs."
“Oh? You guys invented stereo. Tony Soprano.What're you in for?"-Tony
"Sinus infection.They were going to enlarge the opening in my lower right maxillary sinus, And then they saw some stuff they didn't like, So they're running tests.”-John
"Another guinea pig.”-Tony[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]So here we are being introduced to a Mr Schwinn aka HAL (3000) Holbrook for the first time. Apparently Schwinn is not your normal patient at the hospital. Remember, this is the hospital where Tony just had a Near death experience (NDE). Schwinn works for the Bell Corporation. This is significant on many levels. Lets look at one of those levels as looking at one level will reveal the rest of them. This whole episode “The fleshy part of the thigh” is based on themes directly related not only to Tonys coma revelations but also the entire series itself. This episode came out in 2006. Well 2000 was a particular important year for Bell labs. Lets see what Wikipedia says about Bell labs in the year prior to 2001 (a space odyssey):[/font][/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]2000 was an active year for the Laboratories, in which DNA machine prototypes were developed; progressive geometry compression algorithm made widespread 3-D communication practical; the first electrically powered organic laser invented; a large-scale map of cosmic dark matter was compiled, and the F-15 (material), an organic material that makes plastic transistors possible, was invented.[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]This resonates back to an episode called "No Show" where:[/SIZE][/font]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Chris later visits the construction site where Patsy, Benny Fazio, Little Paulie, Donny K. and Vito Spatafore are enjoying their no-work jobs. The guys have noticed valuable FIBER OPTIC CABLES lying around; they mention this to Chris and he seems interested.[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]also inventions of note credited to (Ma) Bell labs;[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]In December 1960, Ali Javan and his associates William Bennett and Donald Heriot successfully operated the first gas laser, the first continuous-light laser, operating at an unprecedented accuracy and color purity. Also in 1960, Dawon Kahng and Martin Atalla invented the metal oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET); the MOSFET has achieved electronic hegemony and sustains the large-scale integrated circuits (LSIs) underlying today's information society. In 1962, the electret microphone was invented by Gerhard M. Sessler and James Edward Maceo West. In 1964, the Carbon dioxide laser was invented by Kumar Patel. In 1965, Penzias and Wilson discovered the Cosmic Microwave Background, for which they were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1978. Frank W. Sinden, Edward E. Zajac, Kenneth C. Knowlton, and A. Michael Noll made computer-animated movies during the early to mid-1960s. Ken C. Knowlton invented the computer animation language BEFLIX. The first digital computer art was created in 1962 by Noll. In 1966, Orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM), a key technology in wireless services, was developed and patented by R. W. Chang. In 1968, Molecular beam epitaxy was developed by J.R. Arthur and A.Y. Cho; molecular beam epitaxy allows semiconductor chips and laser matrices to be manufactured one atomic layer at a time. [/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Bell Labs has played a prominent part in New Jerseys history for a long time. As we see a lot of their inventions deal with understanding the principles of the universe, or quantum theory. We shall get back to that when we return….[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="7"]The Division BELL[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Aerial Shot of Bell Labs. Notice how the layout of the Lab resonates visually with 2001: A Space odyssey?[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Heres some more visual similarities between the two:[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"]Getting the drift here? Theres a real deep connection going on, that hasn’t been explored as much as it should. The rabbit hole goes deeper.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]
2000 was the year arguably that put Bell on the Map like never before and the Sopranos was also putting Jersey on the map at the same time. Bell labs is located in where else but New Jersey, Tony’s home state. Bell is also responsible for the medium of television as we know it today. Bell is also what rings at Holstens diner in "Made in America" Before we leave the subject of Bell labs, lets quickly explore their connection to Kubrick just for "shits and giggles". Heres an interesting piece of info I have never heard before.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"] Stanley Kubrick explained why he used the song Daisy Bell for the death of HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey.(It should also be noted that HAL’s name comes from the letters before IBM.)One of the more famous moments in Bell Labs’ synthetic speech research was the sample created by John L. Kelly in 1962, using an IBM 704 computer. Kelly’s vocoder synthesizer recreated the song “Bicycle Built for Two,” with musical accompaniment from Max Mathews. Arthur C. Clarke, then visiting friend and colleague John Pierce at the Bell Labs Murray Hill facility, saw this remarkable demonstration and later used it in the climactic scene of his novel and screenplay for “2001: A Space Odyssey,” where the HAL9000 computer sings this song as he is disassembled by astronaut Dave Bowman.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="6"][font="Times New Roman"] Let us get back to Mr Wizard, now that we know "from whence he came" at Bell labs and the Jersey\Kubrick\Bell \Schwinn connection.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="7"][font="Times New Roman"]DING DING DING DING DING DING DING! And in this corner, facing themselves...[/font][/SIZE]
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]Mr Wizards Boxing Tornados[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]So Mr.Wizard, You were talking about tornadoes.….-Tony Soprano[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]"It's the old never-ending battle against crime and corruption," - to quote Superman.-Matthew Weiner (cameo)[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]So here we are again, full wheel, i mean, cycle, I mean circle…
We see that obviously we are subconsciously being directed to search for the deeper meanings at play in the show, we feel them yet we don’t know why. Lets dig deeper…..[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Let look further at the dialogue in the most prominent scene that feature Mr Wizard. I numbered the quotes as I will deal with the theme in each one separately later on. [/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"](watching the boxing match in hospital room)"I tell ya, we each and every one of us, We're alone in the ring, fighting for our lives, - Just like that poor prick."-Paulie
"Well, that's one way to look at it."-Mr Wizard
"You got a better one?" -Paulie
"Don't get me started. It's complicated."-Mr Wizard
"You think I'm stupid?!"-Paulie
1."It's actually an illusion those two boxers are separate entities."-Mr Wizard
"What the fuck?Illusion?" -Paulie
2."Their separate entities is simply the way we choose to perceive them."-Mr Wizard
"I didn't chose nothing."-Paulie
3."It's physics. Schordinger's equation. The boxers, you, me we're all part of the same quantum field."-Mr Wizard
"You ever substitute teach at Carver Middle School?"-(rapper Deluxes friend)
"He's a rocket scientist, for Christ's sake. Bell Labs.'-Tony
'Shit. Lift it up, nigga!"-Deluxe (to his friend trying to get reception with a satellite dish)
" You were saying?"-Tony
4."Well, think of the two boxers as ocean waves or currents of air, two tornadoes, say.They appear to be two things, right? Two separate things. But they're not. Tornadoes are just wind, the wind stirred up in different directions. The fact is, nothing is separate everything's connected."-Mr Wizard
"Everything is everything. I'm down with that."-Deluxe
"Get the fuck out of here."-Paulie
5."The universe is just one big soup of molecules bumping up against one another.
The shapes we see exist only in our own consciousness."-Mr. Wizard

"Keshawn, don't make me come over there."-Deluxe
"You're so fucking smart, fix that TV."-Paulie[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]While we are paused here in the David Chase Machine Universe, lets throw out a couple META-nuggets from that dialogue above. First the last quote from Paulie about "fix that TV" referring to the satellite signal not working. Bell Labs, which built the first active telecommunications satellite, Telstar.Thats a good one! But then theres this other one I discovered.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]During the scene in the hospital as Tony and Paulie watch the fight, Schwinn makes a comment of everything being related to which Da Lux responds "Everything is everything, I can dig that." The actor playing Da Lux is Lord Jamar from the rap outfit Brand Nubian. Brand Nubian's third album is titled Everything Is Everything.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]One last thing about Deluxe. In the episode, he was shot 7 times. 7 bells at Holstens. Wow! Can you wrap your spaghetti noodle around that? Now that we have that out of the way lets further explore what Mr wizard says and how it relates to the entire show.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]1."It's actually an illusion those two boxers are separate entities."-Mr Wizard[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Lets take a journey down the rabbit hole for a moment and look at as many boxing references we can find on The Sopranos.[/font][/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]The Back Wall of the Bada Bing has many boxing posters, heres a capture of a couple but theres a lot more;[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]-AJ watching training scene from “Million Dollar Baby" on the TV as Tony comes into living room[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]-Tony sings rocky theme as he picks up a jogging AJ who then tells Tony of his intentions of joining the military (Made in America)[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]-When Cavalleria Rusticana starts playing on the radio during their meeting at Nuovo Vesuvio, Tony and Silvio begin mimicking boxing in slow motion. The intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana was used as the main theme of Martin Scorsese's Raging Bull, a biographical film about the boxer Jake LaMotta. (Blue Comet) [/font][/SIZE]

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”