Re: Bells, Duality, Metaphysics, schrodingers Cat Oh my!

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]Lets take a look at the list of parallels\homages not only between 2001 and the Sopranos, but all of Kubricks work itself as you will see.
[/SIZE][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]"Kennedy and Heidi"-
Tony tells Sonya Aragon that a roulette wheel works similarly to the principle of the solar system.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]2001: A Space Odyssey-
We see the Earth. Moon and Sun of our solar system in alignment. (along with the giant monolith. Also notice the similarities of the roulette wheel with the space station)[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Kennedy And Heidi-
A Pink Floyd song plays just prior to the car accident.[/SIZE][/font]

One of the characters is named Dr. Heywood Floyd.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Join The Club-
At the hospital where Tony is brought, Vito Spatafore tells Larry Boy Barese that Silvio Dante was also hospitalized for an Asthma attack. Larry Boy responds:
"A hundred percent disaster."[/SIZE][/font]

HAL the computer tells astronauts Poole and Bowman that the antenna setup is, in 72 hours, going to go to:
" One hundred percent failure."
Disaster and failure are synonyms of each other.
Made In America-
Everyone attends the burial of Bobby Bacala, even the FBI. A closeup is shown of Bacala's headstone.[/SIZE][/font][SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"](no picture available but I thought this one was appropriate)[/font][/SIZE]

A large monolith appears throughout the film.
Headstone/Tombstone and Monolith are synonymous.[/SIZE][/font]
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.[/font][SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]AJ quotes Nietzsche to his psychiatrist, using the phrase "God is dead."[/SIZE][/font]

A classical piece of music plays here. It was conducted by Richard Strauss. It's title was-"Also Sprach Zarathustra"
Thus Spoke Zarathustra (German: Also sprach Zarathustra, sometimes translated Thus Spake Zarathustra), subtitled A Book for All and None (Ein Buch fr Alle und Keinen), is a work by German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, composed in four parts between 1883 and 1885. It famously declares that "God is dead"...[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]
Janice Soprano contacts Bobby Baccalieri Junior on his computer. She uses the screenname "Rising Damp." (calling all cars)

2001: A Space Odyssey-
Actor Leonard Rossiter plays one of the Russian scientists. (Dr. Andrei Smyslov) Leonard Rossiter was also known for his role in the classic British sitcom "RISING DAMP."[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Made In America-
Tony enters Holsten's Ice Cream Parlor. In a weird camera POV, Tony sees HIMSELF sitting at one of the tables.[/SIZE][/font]

Bowman lands to where the monolith signal was broadcasting. He sees a room with a man sitting at a table. The man turns around. It is Bowman, older and in a robe. Bowman sees HIMSELF.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]The Sopranos Pilot + Made In America-
The character Hunter Scarangella appears. She is portrayed by Ingrid De Cesare, David Chase's daughter.[/SIZE][/font]

Dr. Heywood Floyd converses with his daughter while in outer space. She is portrayed by Vivian Kubrick, Stanley Kubrick's daughter.[/SIZE][/font]
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.[/font][SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"] Made In America-
Satriale's. Paulie complains that the cat keeps staring at the photo of Chris Moltisanti. Tony dismisses it, saying that the cat is probably attracted to the "Abstract Shapes."[/SIZE][/font]

When Bowman journeys to the planet, he sees a varied mix of colours and shapes go flashing by his space pod.
"Abstract Slit Scan" is the phrase used for this film technique.The shot includes a composite of backlit ABSTRACT graphic SHAPES. [/SIZE][/font]

Tony spots AJ out jogging.[/SIZE][/font]

A famous scene, where one of the astronauts JOGS on the ship, seeming to move around its entire surface.[/SIZE][/font]

A song by the group Journey plays in the final scene. Another Journey song was played in another episode of "The Sopranos." It's title was "Wheel In The Sky." (Episode "Bust Out")

The space station is another "wheel in the sky."[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Sopranos-
The bones of Emil Kolar, The Johnson Brothers and Willie Overall are seen throughout assorted Sopranos episodes. (Willie in 6B.)

One of the simians (MoonWatcher) tosses a bone up in the air and it converts into a space ship. (Great, great scene.) [/SIZE][/font]

Paulie Walnuts works on his tan outside of Satriale’s.[/SIZE][/font]

Astronaut Poole gets a tan from the ship's sunlamp.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"] Sopranos "Luxury Lounge"-
While in flight one of the Italian hitmen shows the other a MontBlanc set of pens.
(notice the Chase cameo)[/SIZE][/font]

While in flight, Dr. Heywood Floyd loses his pen, due to zero gravity.[/SIZE][/font]

Sopranos
Dr. Melfi prescribes pills for Tony's stressful panic attacks.[/SIZE][/font]

Bowman is determined to shut down HAL, the ship's computer. HAL advises Bowman to "take a stress pill."[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"] Sopranos "Made In America"-
American flags are seen in many places during this episode. All American flags have 50 stars. That's a lot.[/SIZE][/font]

Bowman's last words (partial)-
"...It's full of stars."[/SIZE][/font]

Shadow boxing in the restaurant between Tony and Silvio as an amused Bobby looks on.
(More meaning on this will be explored later)[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]A TV clip from the movie "Black Dahlia" where the two cops box each other plays on a TV in the background in the Bing.[/font][/SIZE]

Bowman shadow boxes as he jogs around the ship's centrifuge.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Sopranos "Mayham"-
Hospital Critical Care Unit- Carmela asks AJ if he remembered to bring her sweater.[/SIZE][/font]

Dr. Heywood Floyd enters the space station. He hears a loudspeaker announce:"A blue lady's cashmere sweater has been found in the restroom. It can be claimed at the manager's desk."[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"] Sopranos "Chasing It" + "Made In America"-Tony loses his (Meadow Gold) bet on the horse race. The voice of the track announcer slows down to a halt.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]AJ's car explodes as a Bob Dylan song plays on its sound system. The song slows and grinds to a halt.[/SIZE][/font]

Astronaut Dave Bowman disconnects HAL9000, the super computer.
HAL9000 reverts to his original circuitry and sings "Daisy Bell" or "A Bicycle Built For Two" until the words entirely degenerate with his voice rumbling lower and lower into distortion. HAL9000 slides into utter silence.[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Sopranos "Made In America"-[/font][/SIZE]
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Holsten's scene: Tony orders onion rings for the table. Carmela, AJ and Tony each eat one ring.
[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]So three rings here. What else has three rings ?[/SIZE][/font]

The planet Jupiter.
1. Inner HALo
2. Bright Main Ring
3. Outer Gossamer Ring

(Saturn has 7 rings; Neptune has 4.)
Jupiter's Rings
Distance Width Mass
Ring (km) (km) (kg)
---- -------- ----- ------
Halo 100000 22800
Main 122800 6400 1e13
Gossamer 129200 214200 [/SIZE][/font]
The finale is titled [/SIZE][/font]
[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]"Jupiter and Beyond The Infinite"[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Bowman meets his Monolith here.[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="6"][font="Times New Roman"]Monolith anyone???????[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]30. Sopranos-
Join The Club, Mayham and Cold Stones:
Near Death Tony/Kevin Finnerty sees a Beacon more than once.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Carmela sees a Beacon while in Paris with Rosalie Aprile.[/SIZE][/font]

Dr. Heywood Floyd investigates a Monolith dug up near the crater Tycho on the Moon. This Monolith emits a sound BEACON to the planet Jupiter. [/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]The Sopranos "Mayham"-
Tony Soprano/Kevin Finnerty makes a terrifying journey to the Inn at the Oaks. He meets "Man"/Tony Blundetto who informs him "You're Going Home."[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]The Sopranos "Chasing It"-
Nancy Sinatra asks Phil Leotardo and Tony Soprano "You two Going Home together ?"[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]The Sopranos "Made In America"-
A rumoured alternate title for the episode was "Going Home."
Phillip Leotardo is killed during this episode. [/SIZE][/font]

Astronaut Dave Bowman "Goes Home" (he returns to Earth as a Star Child).[/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]One of the Russian scientists tells Dr. Heywood Floyd-
Elena: Oh, we're Going Home.
( Elena was portayed by actress Margaret Tyzack. She also played Antonia in the BBC miniseries "I, Claudius.")[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]35. The fictional character of Tony Soprano had a sister named Barbara.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]The real-life Stanley Kubrick had a sister named Barbara.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]36. The Sopranos "The Blue Comet"-
Bobby Baccala asks the store owner what the price is for the antique model train set called "The Blue Comet." The owner replies EIGHT grand. Bobby agrees to pay the EIGHT grand. Then he is shot to death. Bobby passes on into the Infinite.

The familiar symbol for Infinity is the sideways number eight...[/SIZE][/font]

The finale of the film is titled:
"Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite"[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]37. The Sopranos "Made In America"-
The USA Guy gets coffee. On the dish are three white containers of half and half.[/SIZE][/font]

HAL9000, the super computer, cuts off life support for three scientists who are in three white, sarcophagus-like machines.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"]Other Kubrick movie references[/SIZE][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Thus concludes this fun exercise of finding connections between these films. In this last section we will take a look at the references to other Kubrick movies sprinkled throughout the Sopranos.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]1. Season 2, Episode 21, "Full Leather Jacket"--Besides the title, the
episode is rife with similarities to the movie FMJ, i.e. how young
"soldiers" take bullets because of the decisions of older irresponsible
authority figures. Of course, there's the existential ironic causality
of how the snubbed gift of Richie Aprile's full leather jacket leads to
the murder attempt on Christopher.[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"] Join the Club (ep. # 67)-
AJ: Don't you find this completely embarrassing?
Meadow: What?
AJ: This, our family. Our father gets shot by our Goober fuqqin' uncle ? What is that?
Remember When ? (ep. # 80)-
Tony Soprano: What the fuqq is wrong with you?
Paulie Walnuts: What?
Tony Soprano: You tell some fuqqin' Goober your life story? We're supposed to be layin' low ! [/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Goober Pyle was cousin to Gomer Pyle on the old Andy Griffith Show; Season Four.[/font][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (1987)-
One of the marine trainees gets the nickname "Gomer Pyle." courtesy of Sgt. Hartman.[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]3. Season 5, Episode 59, "In Camelot"--In the TV writer's apartment,
there's a vintage Dr. Strangelove poster. Christopher's use of rehab
doublespeak-type language to enable the ex-heroin addict TV writer's new
gambling habit to Chris's profit is very Strangelove. Chris Moltisanti hits JT Dolan with a framed picture denoting the movie "Dr. Strangelove." [/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]In the episode "Members Only", Tony finds Junior at home watching "Paths Of Glory."[/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Ralph Cifarreto complains that they didn't have flat top hairstyles in "Spartacus."[/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]The movie "Little Miss Sunshine" is playing when Tony visits Silvio in the hospital. There was a character named "Sunshine" in the Sopranos. He was the original Executive Game's card dealer. Sunshine was portrayed by actor Paul Mazursky. Mazursky was Private Sidney in the 1953 Kubrick film "Fear and Desire." [/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"] Actor/Producer/Director Sydney Pollack played Dr. Warren Feldman in the Sopranos episode "Stage Five." He also played Victor Ziegler in the 1999 Kubrick film "Eyes Wide Shut.” [/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="5"][font="Times New Roman"]The Sopranos "Kaisha"-
Fat Dominick Gamiello's ringtone is "Fur Elise" by Beethoven. [/font][/SIZE]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]A Clockword Orange-
Alex De Large loves the music of Ludwig Van Beethoven.
The Sopranos "Walk Like A Man"-
TOEJAM mentioned regarding Victor. [/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Dr. Strangelove-
Character: Radio-Radar-Man Lieutenant Terry TOEJAM. One of the crewmembers of the good jet "Leper Colony."
Full Metal Jacket-
Drill Instructor Hartman inspects the Marine recruits. "...TOEJAM.."
The Sopranos "Chasing It"-
Tony Soprano BETs on a horse named "MeadowGold". The horse is running in the FIFTH race. [/SIZE][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]Kubrick's 1956 film "The Killing"- Narrator:
"...Marvin Unger was...the only one among the... people at the track who felt no thrill at the running of the FIFTH race. He was totally disinterested in horse racing... Nevertheless, he had a...BET on every horse in the FIFTH race…" [/SIZE][/font]

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”