Re: Bells, Duality, Metaphysics, schrodingers Cat Oh my!

(Continued)
"Long Term Parking", Adriana offers to make Christopher eggs after admitting she has been working with the FBI. She is killed shortly after.
"You want some EGGS?"-Ade
"I need to clear my head."-Chris
"You didn't even sleep."-Ade
"This is a lot to process. I gotta think. I'll be back in a little while."-Chris
"Stay, wait."-Ade
In "Watching Too Much Television" Irina offers to make egg salad before Tony beats Zellman with a belt.
"She's taking a class at the community college, English as a Second Language."-Zellman
"You sound great."-Tony
"Ronnie, I'll go make some lunch, some egg salad?"-Irina
"Great."-Zellman
"You hungry?"-Irina
"No."-Tony
“Pie O My”
In a scene where Adrianna talks to Chris about moving to California she offers to make him some scrambled eggs. Later on the Horse gets sick which leads to it eventually being killed.
"You hungry? Want some scrambled eggs?"-Ade
"Yeah, all right."-Chris
"I'm thinking maybe we should try someplace else.I saw this thing on TV, a tour of this house in Santa Barbara you should've seen the flowers they had, the ocean."-Ade
"I was in California, I didn't like it."-Chris
"I'm just saying, we're young. We got our whole life in front of us."-Ade
In "Whoever Did This" Ralph offers to make Tony eggs for breakfast just before they fight and Tony murders him.
"Look, Ton' I just made some coffee, if you want, EGGS. Sorry about the timing."-Ralphie
"No"-Tony
"I actually just got some good news on Justy. They think it's just gonna be speech.
The poor kid will have to learn how to talk all over again. Years of rehab."-Ralphie
"That's good."-Tony
"He'll walk. He'll use his hands."-Ralphie
"Life goes on."-Tony
In "Two Tonys" Carmine Lupertazzi suffers a stroke when eating egg salad;
"Carmine, you all right? You barely touched your egg salad."-John
"Too much gherkins. You smell that?"-Carmine
"What?"-Tony
"Burning hair."-Carmine
"Rat Pack"
Uncle Junior asks Bobby to make Tony an egg, then calls Tony B. "Tony Egg" by mistake, right before the phone rings and it is announced that Carmine has died.
"I'll take an egg. You want an egg? Bobby, make my nephew an egg."-Jr
"I don't want an egg."-Tony
"Tony B. Like a welcome home present."-Jr
"What's that, a Motorola?"-Tony
"Yeah."-Boby
"Supposed to be the best."-Tony
"You know, I figured he could use one. Call me when he needs me."-Bobby
"All the fellas are gettin' out, huh? The class of 2004. Old rats on a new ship.
I think I'll take an egg. Make us a couple eggs."Jr
"I'm doin' it. You told me. He don't want one."-Bobby
"You and Tony Egg again."-Jr
"Tony Egg? Tony B."-Tony
Tony Soprano's goomah, Valentina, has her kimono catch on fire from the stove while preparing egg substitutes for Tony in "The Test Dream".
"You must be hungry."-Valentina
"You're not gonna cook, are ya? Just sayin', don't trouble yourself."-Tony
"How about some Egg Beaters and Tabasco?"-Valentina
"That's fine."-Tony
Richie Aprile offers to make Tony eggs when Tony finds him sleeping in Janice's house. He is shot by Janice a few episodes after that.
"I'm making breakfast, you want some eggs? "-Richie
"Do i want some eggs? Why don't you put your fuckin' pants on?"-Tony
"Let's have some coffee."-Richie
"So, what the fuck, rich? The mattress at the shelter a little too lumpy?"-Tony
(To Be Continued)
You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.

(Continued)
Before Mikey Palmice is killed in "I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano", Carmela is seen making scrambled eggs.

AJ offers Carmela a poorly made poached egg in the episode "College", later Tony kills Fabian Petrullio.
"Why, thank you, kind sir.”-Carmela
"What? You said poached eggs.”-AJ
While Tony and Junior discuss putting out a hit out on Johnny Sac (the "Lou DiMaggio" story), they're watching Who Want to Be a Millionaire; the answer to the question shown on-screen is "eggs.”
At Uncle Pat's, the family is having eggs while discussing nuclear weapons.
Seven million containers. The news team put radioactive shit in one of 'em.
It wasn't even detected."-Tony S
"Please, my ears. Sit down. Sit. Come on. I made eggs."-Pat
"Could've been a goddamn A-bomb."-Tony
Tony Soprano steps in broken eggs just before resolving to murder his cousin, Tony Blundetto in "All Due Respect” where he's lamming it at Uncle Pats now vacated house.
Silvo tells the guys he's going to buy them an egg cream when Tony and Gigi enter the room to talk in private. Gigi dies in his next scene.
"This prick treating you okay?"-Silvio
" No complaints."-Gigi
"C'mon, little paulie, everybody, i'll buy you an egg cream."-Silvio
Angie drops a carton of eggs just before Pussy leaves to kill the Elvis impersonator.
Janice makes a frittata (egg dish) before Tony instructs Bobby to commit his first murder.
"I hope you're hungry. I made a frittata."-Janice
"And Ramos fizzes."-Bobby
Chris is having eggs when Carmine calls to tell him that Ben Kingsley "passed" on their script.
(To be Continued)
You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.

(Continued)
Carmella offers Furio some eggs right before he goes back to Italy to see his dying father.
"Here, I made it with a lot of milk and sugar. It's more comforting that way.You sure you don't want some eggs or an English or something? You're coming back?"-Carmela
" I hope so. Immigration, they make problems."-Furio
Janice tells her young boyfriend to eats his eggs before Tony calls to tell her to come to her mother's funeral.
" Eat your eggs, baby. Ace garage."-Janice
"You're not coming to your own mother's fucking funeral? "-Tony
"May i speak?"-Janice
Now that we got your eggs covered, believe me theres more to be found, lets move onto the subject of oranges shall we......

Oranges and Onions, both make people cry for different reasons....
"The Sopranos" is full of references to the Godfather trilogy. One of the more regular nods to the movie is the use of not only orange as a fruit but as a color scheme associated with impending death. Onions get a small mention as well at the very end of this section. Theres probably more instances that I will list, but this is my best shot at compiling some of the more obvious ones. With out further ado, lets peel back some layers and see whats inside shall we??
Mikey Plamice puts on an orange running jacket as he goes for his final jog. A few minutes later he is chased through the woods by Chris and Paulie and executed.
Tony buys Orange juice at the newsstand before the shooting in Isabella.

"Members Only"- Tony pours Tropican Orange Juice in a coffee cup while talking to AJ about family being the only people you can depend on. Later, he is shoot by Junior.
Tony eats an orange in "Made in America" at Carmella's new project house.
Tony is seen having orange juice right before Meadow takes the bugged lamp back to school. Agent Harris says the operation is dead.
Before Fat Dom is murdered by Sil and Carlo, he mentions the Syracuse Orange lost again.
After Chris dies, and before Nucci dies, Chris's step-father mentions the Syracuse Orange losing.
Before AJ and friends beat the college kid for not paying his gambling debts, the kid mentions wanting to transfer to Syracuse.
Ralphie brings back oranges from Florida before Johnny Sack plans to have him killed. He gives them to Tony, who later kills him.
Chris is having orange juice with his breakfast when Carmine calls him to tell him that Ben Kingsley "passed."

Surely these are just a few of the many uses of oranges, but you get the drift Im sure at this point. Now lets take a look at these Onions.....

(Continued)
In "Army of One" in the scene before Jackie Jr gets killed, Tony is drinking OJ at the breakfast table
Onions and death impending....
Theres a few examples in Season Six where we see Onions being used in a similar fashion as oranges.
Tony orders onion rings at holstens in the final scene of "Made in America"...
"Mmm, onion rings."-AJ
"Best in the state as far as I'm concerned."-Tony
Soon after being released from the Hospital after Jr.'s shooting, Tony returns to Satrieles but he can’t eat onions in his bialy anymore or it might be too much for him in "Mr. & Mrs. John Sacrimoni Request..."
"We got you your bialy as soon as we heard you were coming in today. Nuke that joe so it's hot."-Bobby
"Oh, fuck. The onions I can't."
In Silvios hospital room in "Made in America" a commercial is heard playing very distinctly the following dialogue;
"Man on tv: Easiest omelet ever.
In 10 seconds you can open a can of instant soup Or you can make homemade soup from scratch, Ready to eat and serve! In 10 seconds you can begin Grating cheese for a snack Or you can grate cheese, shred chicken, Chop ONIONS and peppers to make a zesty filling That you can heat and serve For hot delicious quesadillas the whole family will love-- All three ready to heat and serve - oh.
- All in 10 seconds or less With the original MAGIC BULLET-- The versatile personal countertop magician That does any job in 10 seconds or less.
Now you can do small everyday jobs Like chopping garlic or onions Without the sticky, smelly mess in just three seconds."(Emphasis added)
Well now that we got our oranges and onions out of the way,lets take a closer look at this Magic Bullet referred to in the commercial. The Magic Bullet and JFK.....

(To Be Continued...)

The Magic Bullet or the Magic Hat? JFK and the Sopranos, a brief Journey....
Richard Belzer: I was working with Steve Schirripa [Bacala] recently. We were judging “Last Comic Standing” for NBC and we were talking about a lot of things and he was saying he heard all of these theories for the show that had nothing to do with your intention and wasn’t anything the actors thought. Like little hints along the way, like a word, like when Tony and Steve are on the boat at the lake and they say “‘you never know its gonna happen” or “you never know its gonna hit you”

David Chase: That was part of the ending.

Richard Belzer: Oh, it was? see, what do I know? Were there other things in previous episodes that were hints towards it?

David Chase: There was that and there was a shooting in which Silvio was a witness. Well he wasn’t a witness, he was eating dinner with a couple of hookers and with some other guy who got hit and there was some visual stuff that went on there which sort of amplified Tony’s remark to Bacala about you know “you don’t know its happened” or “you won’t know it happened when it hits you”. That’s about it.

Richard Belzer: That’s what John Kennedy said.
Another constant thread that goes thought out the show literally from the 1st episode to the last is the theme of The Kennedy Family, specifically JFK. Evocations of Camelot are numerous and range anywhere from subtle to downright obvious. One episode is even titled “In Camelot”. In this section we will explore these different references. While there are many references throughout all 6 seasons, these are some of the more noteworthy.
"The phone keeps ringing, and then they hang up.”-Jr
"It's probably salespeople.”-Tony
"I know who it is! Pussy Malanga, I know. We'll get J. Edgar Hoover right on it.”-Tony
When Junior says Pussy Malanga is prank calling his house Tony says they will get FBI director J. Edgar Hoover to investigate in "Members Only”.
"If you have any more questions you're going to have To call my lawyer.”-Carmela
"When he was taken into custody, Junior made pointed references to the Mcguire Sisters, Sam Giancana.”-FBI Agent
"You mean the Kennedy assassination? You mean as related to this?”-Carmela
" I had to ask.”-FBI Agent
"My husband was three years old.”-Carmela
Policemen tell Carmela they have to ask her about Tony's knowledge of the John Kennedy Assassination, after Junior mentioned some details about it to them in "Join the Club”.
"He's still up on his cross, huh?”-Junior
"Junior, you shot him.”-Bobby
"Yeah well it's not that simple. I know a few things you don’t. Like maybe I wasn't acting alone.”-Junior
"Junior, JFK was 40 years ago.”-Bobby
"That's all I'll say about that. You see that one over there? An attorney. I'm mounting my case.”-Junior
Junior references the JFK assassination to Bobby Bacala when he says he "didn't act alone" in the shooting of Tony in “Keisha"
"Uncle jun', I'm afraid I have bad news. Bobby's dead.”-Janice
"The ambassador hotel.”-Junior
When Janice tells Junior that Bobby is dead. He just says, "Ambassador Hotel", thinking she is referring to the 1968 assassination of Bobby Kennedy at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles in "Made in America".
(To Be Continued)

(Continued)
"You were admiring my handkerchief. Check out the initials.”-Fran
"JFK? Holy shit! This was his? You know, I have a hat of his. A captain's hat I bought at an auction. A lot of the friends don't like him, you know, Ruby and all that shit. But, fuck, I was in grammar school.”-Tony
"That's my lipstick. We had a little thing. When he was president? March ’61. Right before the Bay of Pigs. I was at the Copa with a girlfriend.”-Fran
"Hey, you better not be messin' with that hat! Goddamn! Come on! That's J.F.K.'s hat! I bought it at that auction.”-Tony
Tony's ownership of John F. Kennedy's sailing hat, that he keeps on his boat The Stugots, is established in the Pilot episode. He later shows it off on the season five episode "In Camelot”.
"We want Johnny Sack. But more than him, we want Mangano and Teresi.”-FBI Agent
"I wanna fuck Angie Dickinson. See who gets lucky first.”-Junior
Being questioned while under arrest, Junior jokes to his interrogator that he would like to have sex with Angie Dickinson. This is a reference to the actress who was reputed to have had an affair with JFK, with whom Junior is obsessed in “I dream of Janine Cusimano”.
"Are you smoking marijuana? I want to watch the tv.”-Livia
"Well, we should get another one for your room.”Janice
Listen to her. Like Rose Kennedy with all our money to throw around.
Gives me agita.”-Livia
Livia references Rose Kennedy, wealthy matriarch of the Kennedy family in “A hit is a hit”.
"You taking good care of this young man?”-Dr. Kennedy
"Jesus, Dr. Kennedy.”-Jr
"How you doing, guy? I been busy, you alright?”-Dr. Kennedy
"Doc, don't bullshit a bullshitter. Is this shit gonna work or should we go back in the room?”-Jr
"You got a top guy here.”-Dr. Kennedy
“Him?”-Jr
" The guy i'd go see if i needed to.”-Kennedy
"I'll be a sonofabitch.”-Jr
"The important thing is you stay strong an d keep fighting, alright? That's my home number. You start to feel punk, you call me.”-Dr. Kennedy
"Thanks, Dr. Kennedy.”-Jr
Dr. Kennedy informs Junior and Bobby Baccalieri that they have found more malignant cells and would once again like to perform surgery. Uncle Junior agrees, since he puts his full confidence in Dr. Kennedy. However, Tony believes that Uncle Junior is fascinated that his doctor happens to have the same name as President John F. Kennedy in “Second Opinion”.
"Ralphie's a good earner.”-Tony
"Guy like that loose cannon. You'll be leaving your house and he'll pull a Jack Ruby on you.”-Silvio
Silvio warns Tony that Ralph is the type to pull a "Jack Ruby" on you, referring to the sneak-attacking shooter of Lee Harvey Oswald in “He is Risen”.
(To Be Continued)

(Continued)
In Tonys dream in “Test Dream” Lee Harvey Oswald shoots at Tony from an apartment building window, when Tony is running from the angry mob.
John Sacrimoni to Tony Soprano about about Tony B killing Billy Leotardo. “I’ve heard it, the fucking lone gunman theory" in “Long Term Parking".
"For christ's sake! Show of hands.How many people think J.F.K.
Is still alive? Come on. They should take a zapruder film of your salad bar? Hello? Help me out.”-Comedian
In Livias retirement home, the comedian makes a reference to the “zapruder film” in “Legend of Tennesee Multisanti"
In “Made in America”:When Tony visits Silvio in the hospital a commercial from the hospital room television for a product called “The Magic Bullet” is heard. This is a reference to the Kennedy assassination where John F.Kennedy was shot in the back of the head,
"Oh my God. Look at this.”-Tony
"Like a movie star.”-Silvio
"Jackie Kennedy.”-Tony (In “Heidi and Kennedy”)
So there you have it, a few of the many Kennedy references sprinkled throughout. Have fun finding the other ones. Well that brings us to our final chapter in this Sopranos Odyssey. Quasimodo predicted 9-11 and the finale of the Sopranos; Terrorism and the Sopranos (cut to black) Coming soon...

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”