Arizona

Anyone notice the references to Arizona? I'm pretty sure Chase intended this to symbolize death. I think the first time I'm conscious of its reference is when Big Pussy says that's where he's going to relocate after he's testified against Tony. Of course we know that he died. There were some other references, if I remember correctly it was in correlation with people who would either eventually die or who had already died. Tony also says something about it being a nice idea to move to Arizona.

Then there's that comment by Carmela while on the trip with Ro in Paris in Cold Stones. She says, "when you go to a place you've never been before, it's like all the people were imaginary till you got there. It's like until you saw them they never existed. And you never existed to them," going on to say "it's the same as when you die. Life goes on without you. Like it does in Paris when we're not here."

Seems like Chase is making the allusion that "going to Arizona" is equated with death.

Re: Arizona

I'd always viewed Arizona as the idealized 'what-if' of the people who had escaped or wanted to escape the orbit of Tony/the mafia/whatever. A.J.'s top two schools he wanted to go to for college were University of Arizona and Arizona State - his failure to actually buckle down and focus himself on getting into college could be read as his own failure to push himself to escape Tony's orbit.

You could then read Big Pussy's interest in Arizona as fitting within that paradigm - Arizona was his escape plan.

Of course, the biggest what-if of all was Kevin Finnerty, a salesman from Arizona, the man who Tony was or wasn't. He's from Arizona when he's actually escaped his earthly body for awhile.

It doesn't really fit everyone though, because Meadow and Carmela's idealized places to escape to appear to have been California and Paris.

Re: Arizona

TimSchultz wrote:Of course, the biggest what-if of all was Kevin Finnerty, a salesman from Arizona, the man who Tony was or wasn't. He's from Arizona when he's actually escaped his earthly body for awhile.

I actually made a long post about this a couple days ago. I really think the Finnerty dream was a prediction about Tony's death. Remember, Tony in that dream was a precision optics salesman, and Finnerty was a solar heating salesman. I kind of took that as Chase equating precision optics with foresight, and solar heating, which was sold by the man Tony was slowly becoming, as hell, where Tony was going. i.e. Tony had the foresight to know he was going to hell.

Carmela and Meadow presumably wouldn't get killed because it was a known rule that family doesn't get touched.

Maybe you're right though, because your interpretation would fit very well with everything else. Maybe Chase was saying the only way to escape was through death?

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”