The Weather during Adriana's Death

Hello, I'm new to the board. I re-watch the Sopranos every few years and this seems like the only place where some people still talk about this work of art.

I don't think I've seen anyone on this board (correct me if I'm wrong) discuss the weather change in "Long-Term Parking". Everywhere is overcast and rainy, including Newark Airport when Chris drops off her car in long-term parking. When Adriana is with Silvio however, it's sunny and dry. I believe they reference Ramapo but so there could be a break in the clouds and have different weather but it seems to be intentional.

In the car, when Adriana is imagining herself driving south towards Georgia I presume, it's rainy and overcast as well.

Did anyone else notice this?

Re: The Weather during Adriana's Death

Just now noticing it. It's altogether plausible that this was done on purpose. Unless there was some type of time/budget constraint during shooting, which I would have trouble believing considering this was HBO, they were completely free to deliberately choose when to shoot each scene so that the type of weather conditions they wanted were present.

If you listen to the song in the car when Sil and Adriana are driving, which is Shawn Smith's "Leaving California," the lyrics are something like:

if you ever wanna get away from california
maybe in another life you'd like to stay
and the devil may call you when he thinks it's time

[cut from Adriana's dream about leaving alone to actually being in the car with Sil]

you know that he'll be knockin' if you're still here
. . .
...Wait too long, cause you're almost there
Don't Wait too long, cause you're almost there
Don't wait too long, till you see it undone..

I'm not sure what you made of the weather, but it seems like the song selection was made intentionally to highlight the fact that Adriana is about to die. Maybe the weather change was to highlight that as well?

Re: The Weather during Adriana's Death

jhalbert wrote:Just now noticing it. It's altogether plausible that this was done on purpose. Unless there was some type of time/budget constraint during shooting, which I would have trouble believing considering this was HBO, they were completely free to deliberately choose when to shoot each scene so that the type of weather conditions they wanted were present.

If you listen to the song in the car when Sil and Adriana are driving, which is Shawn Smith's "Leaving California," the lyrics are something like:

if you ever wanna get away from california
maybe in another life you'd like to stay
and the devil may call you when he thinks it's time

[cut from Adriana's dream about leaving alone to actually being in the car with Sil]

you know that he'll be knockin' if you're still here
. . .
...Wait too long, cause you're almost there
Don't Wait too long, cause you're almost there
Don't wait too long, till you see it undone..

I'm not sure what you made of the weather, but it seems like the song selection was made intentionally to highlight the fact that Adriana is about to die. Maybe the weather change was to highlight that as well?

"....but it seems like the song selection was made intentionally to highlight the fact that Adriana is about to die. "

Ya think?

Not trying to be confrontational as it is a legit a question I've have for awhile, not only of this show, but others. Do we tend to analyze and scrutinize the show too much in that we try to find some underlining meaning in every single scene and every single moment?
Could it be due to the fact that since the show ended almost eight years ago now we are just trying to find any new angle whether it IS/WAS an angle or not?

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”