Ralphie the Cat and other feline tidbits

I’m going through season 4 and watching the Christopher episode when I was hit by a couple of things. 1st, I’m noticing several tiger references. Furio bringing over the strufoli that he shares with Carmela as he waits for Tony is wearing a pretty loud shirt that upon closer look has several images of a tiger on it. I haven't checked yet but the image seems pretty reminiscent of the tiger image on Holstein’s wall. And is it just a coincidence that Carmela is wearing a leopard print? Then when Ralphie breaks ties with Rosalie and comes for Janice she is wearing a tiger strip print shirt. That’s when it hit me, Ralph is wearing a tan/orange colored suit that I’m pretty sure is the same color as the cat in MIA. He also wears the tan/overcoat throughout the series. Right up to the rug he’s wearing, that color does seem to be associated with him. Who does Ralphie piss off the most in the Soprano family more than anyone else? Who does that cat seem to irritate more than anyone else? Paulie. Not sure if the connection has been brought up before as I know we went quite deep into the cat symbolism at one point

Re: Ralphie the Cat and other feline tidbits

Interesting pick-ups on the shirts. I don't think I ever realized that. I'm not sure about the significance of Ralphie relating directly to the cat/color orange, but I do find it important that you found all of this in this specific episode. Think about the title... Christopher. Now, of course, we all know in this case the episode is named for Christopher Columbus, but I think it's interesting that the orange cat/tiger connections you mentioned appear here since in Made In America the cat stares at the picture of Christopher.

I actually just finished the PIE o Mie episode (2 episodes later) and a scene with Ralphie and Tony in Ade's office and not only is Ralph wearing an orange colored new jacket, but he has shoes to match (he has them up on Ade's desk while he's reclining). Shoes this ugly color!?! There has to be a reason. I'm convinced now more than ever that the cat's Ralph. And funny you mention the Chris photo as i'm starting to think that either, 1: this is Chase's way of including past captain's or important departed characters in the final episode or 2: showcasing two of Tony's murder's. There is a pretty good thread concerning the Cat in the MIA episode. Probaly should have placed this there but got excited about stumbling upon this theory I created the new thread before rereading the old one.

"It's physics. Schordinger's equation."-John Schwinn aka Mr Wizard

I just had a major revelation about the Cat in the last episode. It fucking schrodingers cat of course! Fucking brilliant!
Tony is alive\dead!!!!!!!!!
more analysis to come from me about this in another thread....
You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.

SilvioMancini wrote:"It's physics. Schordinger's equation."-John Schwinn aka Mr Wizard

I just had a major revelation about the Cat in the last episode. It fucking schrodingers cat of course! Fucking brilliant!
Tony is alive\dead!!!!!!!!!
more analysis to come from me about this in another thread....
Sil, I still haven't read your expose yet, but this is brilliant! I LOVE it!!
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

It explains why the Cat suddenly appears then as if out of thin air, then the quote to Paulie in the bing about cats staring into corners is a dead giveaway for schrodingers cat theory!
Im yet to finish what will be my metaphysical analysis of the final 2 seasons as it relates to the final scene. I will probably be done by next week. Thanks again for keeping this website as I think it has allowed me to take all the data from all the years and try to get into some areas maybe overlooked or not seen at the time for what ever reason. Especially on the themes of subliminal\metaphysics\and metaphors. Stay tuned, Im not done just quite yet!
You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”