Re: The role of bystanders

You are right that in the great scheme of things and in the vastness of space we are, "all in this together". But are you suggesting then there is no such thing as right and wrong? That people like Tony who wreak havoc on other human beings for their own corrupt and selfish ends are no better or worse than anyone else?
You sort of touched on the ideas expressed by the guy in hospital with Tony whose name I can't think of. You know the guy I mean? He was played by Hal Holbrook when they were watching the fight on satellite. His idea,if I got it correctly, was that we are all really just atoms in the universe and not really separate entities at all. Now my humble reaction to this was to say "when the guy in the blue corner knocks the guy in the red corner into a coma,tell him the two fighters are not separate entities!". Do you see my point? While yes we are all connected on some grand cosmic level, on another,day to day level we are distinct individuals. We bleed alone. We hurt alone. In fact I sometimes think Livia was right. What was it? "It's all a big nothing. People let you down and you die in your own arms". Something like that anyway.
I guess what I'm trying to say is there are evil people in the world and people who try to live decent lives usually get the worst of it. I like your idea of redemption bada but for me the point is he is incapable of it. He not only goes back time and again to his old ways but in my opinion regresses even further. An earlier Tony didn't kill Chris but this one did. Tony of old would never treat a life-long friend of his and of his father like Hesh so appallingly. Over money! Degenerate gambling debts. In the superb 6b.1. Carm shouts at Janice "Tony is not a vindictive man". He then orders Bobby to commit his first murder purely because Bobby beat him in a drunken brawl. Pathetic. Where is "every day is a gift" gone?

Re: The role of bystanders

richjcrouch wrote:For me, black people are an anomaly when the Mafia is concerned. The only time anyone black has been mentioned was either Noah, or when Chris used it as an excuse not to bring his new Goomah around. Other than that, they were only ever used as hired guns, and only once to take out someone big, which they failed on.

The only time? What about Massive G and his entourage in "A Hit is a Hit"? How about the Reverends James Sr. and Jr. in "Do Not Resuscitate"? Or the cop (played by Charles S. Dutton) in "Another Toothpick", who is probably one of the most moral and incorruptible people in the entire show? Maurice Tiffen, the head of the non-profit organization involved in the HUD scam in "Watching Too Much Television"?

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm nitpicking, but you made it sound like the only black people on the show were Noah and a few pairs of failed assassins.

Regarding the bystander thing, I think it was also a commentary about society in general. I don't know if anyone else can relate, I'd assume someone can, but I've been witness to plenty of incidents where there's an accident, someone is attacked, etc, and the majority of people just stand around watching, as though it were a made-for-TV movie.

I can't find anything about it at the moment, but there was that incident last year in NYC where a homeless man was fatally stabbed while trying to save a woman from the attacker. This guy crawled around on the sidewalk bleeding to death for hours, all caught on surveillance cameras, as dozens of people just walked by. Some gave him a glance, others shrunk away as he tried to reach out to them, and even others used their cell phones to take pictures and film him as he died in public.

In my opinion, with shit like that actually going on, the bystanders Chase wrote through out the series actually got off light.

EDIT: Bystander Effect - Wikipedia

The man's name was Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax.
What violin?!

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”