Re: Motorcycle Emptiness

richjcrouch wrote:I think it was mentioned in the episode where Ralphie is having dinner at Tony's, and winds up with Janice in the bathroom.

I seem to remember Ralphie telling a story about his Harley, and AJ commenting that a friend has bought some form of bike.

CArmella responds with something along the lines of 'if you get on that bike I will cut your legs off before the bike can' or something to that effect.

Can't remember the scene verbatim, I'm afraid.

Obviously there is also the Vito biker boy stuff.

I'm not entirely convinced that these incidents have as much of a bearing on the ending, or indeed the series, as the references made during the final 9 episodes.

I don't want to keep harping on about it, but it is too coincidental to have so many references to what is effectively one incident, namely a motorcycle crash.

Hmm, just thought, I don't know if you guys in the states have the same sort of terminology, but over here if something is gruesome, but you want to see it, it's referenced metaphoricalyl as a 'car crash' (car crash TV being the most used phrase).

I wonder if Chase was commenting on the way the audience is both repulsed, and yet seemingly turned on, by the lifestyles led by these Mafia guys?

I wish I could ask Chase, as I'm so sure there must be a reason behind it!

It's far too coincidental that we saw a guy fall off his bike and get run over, for no real reason.

The scene was highly unneccessary to the obvious plot. A bit like two girls in a car using each others names when they are speaking.

The oddness of it jumps out at you.

This is really getting me worked up! Damn you Chase! :icon_wink:

Oh ya thats it, thanks for reminding me.

I do agree that there seems to be a lot of references to motorcycles, and possibly they are too coincidental. But I personally don't see much to it. I do agree that the motorcyclist falling off his bike in "The Blue Comet" was rather odd and random. But I think that was the point. I watched the episode with a friend of mine, his reaction to the whole scene and the subsequent man falling off his bike was "What the Fuck!!". I think it was added to the scene to heigthen the drama, tension, pace and the crazyness of the whole scene. I thought the man falling off his bike and the strippers reactions was hilarious.

I think it highlights the absurdity of the lives these men lead and how oblivious these men really are to it. Silvio kept his gun in the back seat for crying out load. I see the viewers as the excited but also repulsed strippers, and the biker as another test to us from Chase. I imagine him saying; "You want more violence? Huh? More? More violence and pain and hurt? Wanna be excited? Well here ya go!!!" To me, I don't think Chase is comfortable with the violence of the show and the viewership it generated. After all, he really only wanted to write about his mother.

Irishwiseguy.

Irishwiseguy wrote:Oh ya thats it, thanks for reminding me.

I do agree that there seems to be a lot of references to motorcycles, and possibly they are too coincidental. But I personally don't see much to it. I do agree that the motorcyclist falling off his bike in "The Blue Comet" was rather odd and random. But I think that was the point. I watched the episode with a friend of mine, his reaction to the whole scene and the subsequent man falling off his bike was "What the Fuck!!". I think it was added to the scene to heigthen the drama, tension, pace and the crazyness of the whole scene. I thought the man falling off his bike and the strippers reactions was hilarious.

I think it highlights the absurdity of the lives these men lead and how oblivious these men really are to it. Silvio kept his gun in the back seat for crying out load. I see the viewers as the excited but also repulsed strippers, and the biker as another test to us from Chase. I imagine him saying; "You want more violence? Huh? More? More violence and pain and hurt? Wanna be excited? Well here ya go!!!" To me, I don't think Chase is comfortable with the violence of the show and the viewership it generated. After all, he really only wanted to write about his mother.

Irishwiseguy.

Good points, indeed it was exactly how I felt about the scene with the guy on the bike until last week, when I rewtached the final series.
I noted the story Sil reads out about the guy playing for Dolphins coming off his bike on the road and a lorry going right over him.

This story could have been anything. It could have been that he'd gotten into a drunken brawl, it could have been that he had broken a finger in the fridge door, whatever.

However, they seem to explicitly talk about a guy coming off his bike, and then being run over.

It just strikes me as too coincidental to see the events talked about in that episode happen in 'The Blue Comet'.

It was only after this overly striking similarity did I even begin to pay attention to other motorcycle based things.

I think some of the spots link into it intentionall, but a lot are a case of 'seeing what you want to see'.

I definitely think Phil saying he doesn't want a bike in case of head trauma is connected to it.

Indeed, that could be the whole point of it, as he ends up with serious head trauma from a 4 wheeled vehicle, whereas the Miami player had no head trauma because of his helmet.

richjcrouch wrote:...

I definitely think Phil saying he doesn't want a bike in case of head trauma is connected to it.

Indeed, that could be the whole point of it, as he ends up with serious head trauma from a 4 wheeled vehicle, whereas the Miami player had no head trauma because of his helmet.

This ties into desweeney's oracle scene theory. desweeney, please come back, sorry i made fun of your whacking.

I don't think he can come back until his ban is over.

This isn't really the place to discuss it, but, he did make some very valid points, and was interesting to have a fresh perspective around here.

The downside was that he didn't seem to want to respect any authority, and was really quite rude toward the admins.

Plus, he didn't use a space when he used a full stop. That's annoying enough in itself! :icon_biggrin:

badabellisima wrote:This ties into desweeney's oracle scene theory. desweeney, please come back, sorry i made fun of your whacking.

The key point with this for me is not the content of the story read out,more the WHO reads it out,i.e. Sil. He reads about a guy who comes off his motorcycle and is then hit by oncoming traffic. After Sil is shot a guy comes off his bike and ....The point is anybody in the Bing could have read out the story but it's Sil who reads it and the scene is virtually re-enacted at his shooting.
Another example of this is from Phil. On deciding on all-out-war with Tony he says to his crew "we DECAPITATE and do business with what's left". After being shot Phil's head is crushed under the wheels of his car.
Johnny Sac shouts at Ralphie "I should have let Tony cut your head off". We later see this is exactly what happens.
Again,Johnny Sac,referring to the bad influence Rusty is having on the other captains says,prophetically "he's a CANCER, I can't let it spread".
Chris, listening to the soundtrack of "The departed" says "it's killer" only to suffocated by Tony moments later. These, and there are probably more, are surely enough to indicate that the fates of certain key characters are portended in dialogue and subtext throughout the show.

Another head trauma reference; Phil is acknowledging the hit on Rusty but Tony is being coy and feigning innocence. Phil says fair enough, "we'll chalk it up to the headless horseman". By itself not much but when you look back with hindsight it jumps out at you.
There is another scene with a bicycle incident that I can't quite remember but I'm sure it's in there. Isn't there a scene when Pussy is in his "FBI Operative" mode and is tailing either Chris or Paulie on their way to hi-jack a truck? He gets distracted and crashes his car causing some cyclist to go over the handlebars? I'm sure there's something like that, I remember Pussy being concerned for the kid.

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”