Re: Motorcycle Emptiness

did you already talk about the scene where the kid on the bike crashes in the street and gets beaten up by AJ's new 'friends'? -And it sends AJ into a tailspin of depression and yet realization, leading to a therapy visit and a more heightened self-consciousness...a turn-arounnd really. Where did the biker's helmet figure in this scene?

Yeah- helmets are definitely an important theme and symbol in the show...

When Phil Leotardo returns (I think it's episode 2 s6b) he talks about getting a motorcycle, then dismisses it by saying 'and go over the handle bars and suffer major head trauma'.

It seems that motorcycles, in the Sopranos, equate to death.

Ironic that Phil did suffer a major head trauma in the end.

I still find that scene to be completely misplaced in the series. The reactions of those watching was more akin to some form of 'Scary Movie' gag, rather than the Sopranos.

Irishwiseguy wrote:Did AJ want a motorcycle at one point? Or am I mistaken?

Irishwiseguy.

I think it was mentioned in the episode where Ralphie is having dinner at Tony's, and winds up with Janice in the bathroom.

I seem to remember Ralphie telling a story about his Harley, and AJ commenting that a friend has bought some form of bike.

CArmella responds with something along the lines of 'if you get on that bike I will cut your legs off before the bike can' or something to that effect.

Can't remember the scene verbatim, I'm afraid.

Obviously there is also the Vito biker boy stuff.

I'm not entirely convinced that these incidents have as much of a bearing on the ending, or indeed the series, as the references made during the final 9 episodes.

I don't want to keep harping on about it, but it is too coincidental to have so many references to what is effectively one incident, namely a motorcycle crash.

Hmm, just thought, I don't know if you guys in the states have the same sort of terminology, but over here if something is gruesome, but you want to see it, it's referenced metaphoricalyl as a 'car crash' (car crash TV being the most used phrase).

I wonder if Chase was commenting on the way the audience is both repulsed, and yet seemingly turned on, by the lifestyles led by these Mafia guys?

I wish I could ask Chase, as I'm so sure there must be a reason behind it!

It's far too coincidental that we saw a guy fall off his bike and get run over, for no real reason.

The scene was highly unneccessary to the obvious plot. A bit like two girls in a car using each others names when they are speaking.

The oddness of it jumps out at you.

This is really getting me worked up! Damn you Chase! :icon_wink:

richjcrouch wrote:I think it was mentioned in the episode where Ralphie is having dinner at Tony's, and winds up with Janice in the bathroom.

I seem to remember Ralphie telling a story about his Harley, and AJ commenting that a friend has bought some form of bike.

CArmella responds with something along the lines of 'if you get on that bike I will cut your legs off before the bike can' or something to that effect.

Can't remember the scene verbatim, I'm afraid.

Obviously there is also the Vito biker boy stuff.

I'm not entirely convinced that these incidents have as much of a bearing on the ending, or indeed the series, as the references made during the final 9 episodes.

I don't want to keep harping on about it, but it is too coincidental to have so many references to what is effectively one incident, namely a motorcycle crash.

Hmm, just thought, I don't know if you guys in the states have the same sort of terminology, but over here if something is gruesome, but you want to see it, it's referenced metaphoricalyl as a 'car crash' (car crash TV being the most used phrase).

I wonder if Chase was commenting on the way the audience is both repulsed, and yet seemingly turned on, by the lifestyles led by these Mafia guys?

I wish I could ask Chase, as I'm so sure there must be a reason behind it!

It's far too coincidental that we saw a guy fall off his bike and get run over, for no real reason.

The scene was highly unneccessary to the obvious plot. A bit like two girls in a car using each others names when they are speaking.

The oddness of it jumps out at you.

This is really getting me worked up! Damn you Chase! :icon_wink:

In NZ the phrase is a train wreck.

richjcrouch wrote:When Phil Leotardo returns (I think it's episode 2 s6b) he talks about getting a motorcycle, then dismisses it by saying 'and go over the handle bars and suffer major head trauma'.

It seems that motorcycles, in the Sopranos, equate to death.

Ironic that Phil did suffer a major head trauma in the end.

I still find that scene to be completely misplaced in the series. The reactions of those watching was more akin to some form of 'Scary Movie' gag, rather than the Sopranos.

Actually he said when he was down in Florida recovering from a heart attack he was glad to be near the beach. And the obese guy whose one of his consignalari says something like "you should go get a bike and check out all that beach pussy!" And Phil responds with something like "You crazy? And fly over the handlebars and break my neck??" Or something like that.
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.[/font][SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

SilvioMancini wrote:Actually he said when he was down in Florida recovering from a heart attack he was glad to be near the beach. And the obese guy whose one of his consignalari says something like "you should go get a bike and check out all that beach pussy!" And Phil responds with something like "You crazy? And fly over the handlebars and break my neck??" Or something like that.

You're exactly right, although he definitely states 'head trauma' rather than broken neck.

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”