Motorcycle Emptiness

Decided to begin on rewatching series 6b again yesterday.

I've not revisited it, except when it was repeated on TV, so decided to spend yesterday watching with the 'intensity' I've watched the other 6 series.

Something I noticed in Chasing It, and stop me if this has been mentioned, was that when Tony gets the money from Slava to give to Marie Spatafore, and decides to bet it on football, the deciding factor, aside from his own greed, to bet on the game was a story about one of Miamis players being run over by a truck whilst on his motorcycle.

Tony commented that the helmet saved his life.

Obviously we see this when Sil gets hit, almost painfully out of place and unneccessarily, a motorcyclist suffers the exact same fate as the footballer player in Chasing it.

Is there anything in the link here? It seems odd to have two distinct references to something that, whilst can be seen as serious and tragic, are relatively mundane and inocuous in the Sopranos world, let alone completely out of place.

A few things I've been thinking, and I'd love it if you guys on here could try and expand a little.

1. The footballer didn't die, so we can assume the motorcyclist when sil was hit didn't die. Is this a representation that Sil doesn't die?

2. If the motorcyclist does die, and we don't know, does this represent that someone cannot escape an inevitability? A motorcyclist being hit and not dying is lucky. If this one wasn't so lucky, what is it saying? Tony has been 'hit' before, and was lucky. He said so himself in Chasing It 'if you think about it up, I'm up. Maybe he was (metaphorically) that second motorcyclist.

3. Is there Vito link here? The original story in Chasing It was a catalyst in Vito Jr being dragged off to Iowa for 'tough love'.

4. Tony stated that his luck changed since Christopher died. Maybe this is embodied by the motorcyclist. Christopher was present when talking about the guy from Miami, and the motorcyclist surviving. He obviously wasn't present later on. Maybe Tonys 'bad luck' run extended purely to money, but he was on a 'good luck' run regarding his mortality. A change in luck saw him win some money, but at what cost. (I just realised that this one ties in quite well with #2)

5. Tony mentioned that the 'helmet save his life' when being told of the story of the guy from Miami. Did Tony have a helmet?

I have a few more theories, but they are all as tenuous as those mentioned above.

The only thing I can be fairly sure of is that Chase didn't make two refernces to this by accident.

As I said, any expansion on this would be great.

If it's already been covered, perhaps point me in the direction of it. I couldn't find anything that specifically related to the two incidents (footballer and biker in MIA) being tied together.

Oh, and a bonus point if anyone knows why I chose the title I did!

Re: Motorcycle Emptiness

re, No.5, "Does Tony have a helmet?": Do you remember the scene where Tony takes AJ out to the garage during one of AJ's soporific yet angry-young-man tantrums? Tony explodes violently while he SMASHES a helmet with brutal force into the windshield of the SUV. He was actually trying to parent AJ more directly, and i think, with tough love. There was a brief screen shot where for a moment, Tony is facing the helmet in a pose that is reminiscent of Hamlet looking into the skull- the helmet eerily resembling a skull. i have a bunch of posts about this, but i couldn't find them just now! -maybe lost, but i'll look later. Helmet=Hamlet? Tony's eternal question: To be, or not to be?

Meanwhile, for the bonus point: How 'bout any connection to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? The awesome power of nothiness-emptiness?

rich, I have no response to your post at the moment except to say that I find the coincidence you hilighted interesting and something I will keep with me when I rewatch those episodes in the future. I'm glad bada chimed in with some actual ideas.:icon_biggrin:
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

badabellisima wrote:re, No.5, "Does Tony have a helmet?": Do you remember the scene where Tony takes AJ out to the garage during one of AJ's soporific yet angry-young-man tantrums? Tony explodes violently while he SMASHES a helmet with brutal force into the windshield of the SUV. He was actually trying to parent AJ more directly, and i think, with tough love. There was a brief screen shot where for a moment, Tony is facing the helmet in a pose that is reminiscent of Hamlet looking into the skull- the helmet eerily resembling a skull. i have a bunch of posts about this, but i couldn't find them just now! -maybe lost, but i'll look later. Helmet=Hamlet? Tony's eternal question: To be, or not to be?

Meanwhile, for the bonus point: How 'bout any connection to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? The awesome power of nothiness-emptiness?

Excellent point.

My train of thought did take me to Holstens and the images behind Tony.

Football is a big factor throughout the series, a sport synonymous with helmets, yet is seems a different kind of helmet to what this footballer would usually wear to protect him saved his life. Something in that?

I'm just finding it hard to shake the idea that these events were put in for the hell of it. Tony could have bet on the game without sil reading the story, and I think just about everyone commented on how random the guy falling off the bike in MIA was.

Also, Bada, I love your Zen philosophy! Motorcycle Emptiness is actually a song. I thought the lyrics sum up vast elements of the Sopranos quite well:

Culture sucks down words
Itemise loathing and feed yourself smiles
Organise your safe tribal war
Hurt maim kill and enslave the ghetto

Each day living out a lie
Life sold cheaply forever, ever, ever

Under neon loneliness motorcycle emptiness

Life lies a slow suicide
Orthodox dreams and symbolic myths
From feudal serf to spender
This wonderful world of purchase power

Just like lungs sucking on air
Survivals natural as sorrow, sorrow, sorrow

All we want from you are the kicks youve given us

Drive away and its the same
Everywhere death row, everyones a victim
Your joys are counterfeit
This happiness corrupt political shit

Living life like a comatose
Ego loaded and swallow, swallow, swallow

It's a cracking song.

How about the signifigance of the Helmet in Kubricks 2001 A space oddessy? Maybe a slight homage to Kubrick and also maybe speaks to Tony being an astronaut of sorts through his life?? Just another helmet analogy.......
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]You know, Vito called me “skip” the other day. Slip of the tongue, no doubt. But I noticed he didn’t correct himself.[/font][SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

Do you guys think there could be someting in the helmet stuff?

Do the motorcycle incidents both specifically have to be about the helmets?

It's frustrating as I am 99.9% certain that the inclusion of two identical events like this MUST mean something, I just don't know what!

richjcrouch wrote:Do you guys think there could be someting in the helmet stuff?

Do the motorcycle incidents both specifically have to be about the helmets?

It's frustrating as I am 99.9% certain that the inclusion of two identical events like this MUST mean something, I just don't know what!

I think we're "over reaching". But to keep going, Phil's head being squashed??

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”