Christopher - Full Circle

***************SPOILERS BELOW*********************
Season 4 Whoever Did This + Season 6b Heidi and Kennedy

When Tony and Chris are at Ralph's house killing time before they can dispose of the body at night, they chat about Chris bringing a child into this world with Ade and then Tony lying to Chris about finishing off Ralph after finding him there in that beaten-down state. Two very important things are said that come back full circle to Chris's death. First, Tony responds about a possible baby saying, "either jump in with both feet or don't....I'll tell you one thing, you can't be high on skeg and have children." (Tony's beliefs of being a serious parent + the mangled baby-seat and Chris telling him he won't pass the drug test). So first there's that refrence, but then MOST IMPORTANTLY these are Tony's exact words about Ralph:

"Listen about this fuckin' guy..,[I] came over, he was still moving, died almost right away, the ambulance wouldn't have helped him anyway..."

I don't think I need to reiterate how hauntingly this came true for Chris's own demise.

Re: Christopher - Full Circle

I'll say Great Catch! Please post some more like that! We'll probably end up with an entire thread on the past scenes, that in retrospect, really and truly point to the End that we now think we know, and shed alot of light on the whole interpretation. Your post reminds me how IMO that scene re-emphasizes the idea that Tony sees himself, or convinces himself, that he's really doing the world or his Family a favor-- by helping along the death process for undesirables.

i mean, by him taking out Christopher, his baby 'niece' will have far more chances to make it to adulthood and continue the family line/tradition than if Chrissie was alive and still driving her around...Tony doesn't seem to retain guilt, he's justified in his own mind- if not in the eyes of G-d. To Tony, thats the job of a Boss. Modern western therapy could never address this type of reality. And furthermore--don't be too horribly shocked-- IMHO, i think there's some truth to it, outside of societal norms.

Christopher reflects a young Tony Soprano. Tony, as we hear from stories and anectodals from other main characters that knew him as a young man (eg: in his twenties) will show that Tony was in fact a very tough, up-and-coming "family" man. However, even though Tony could get the job done even as a young man and was a future de facto Boss, he was never in full control of the family until the second season, where he was into his mid-early forties.

Let's all face facts. Tony Soprano is a ruthless killer, and a manipulative criminal. There are many examples of these. He's killed Ralphy, Pussy, and his own cousin Tony B., just to name a few. Tony does nothing good for society, and causes grief and heartache for many other human beings. We could see Chris emerging as the same way. Chris has done many hits as a young man (the Russian Comando, other small time crooks in the 1st and 2nd season), and by the sixth season, he was out of conrtol. Chris threw Little Paulie out of a window crippling him, and killed JT Dolan out of nowhere.

Imagine if a man like Chris grew to be as old as Tony Soprano did in the final episode. There would be extreme blood shed in this society, and countless more people would be wronged and taken advantage of. This can be considered a good thing that Tony Soprano took out this future mafia leader, before his own life was taken during a hit in that restaurant (final scene).

Nick, just chiming in to say what a terrific piece of foreshadowing you hilighted for us. It's been at least two years since I saw that episode. The remark about children and drugs immediately came back to me when you quoted it, but I had completely forgotten about the "mercy" killing part when he was lying about having found Ralph like that. Brilliant catch!
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

Wow, I had to add another one to the original observations in this thread.

My aunt and I rewatched "Strong Silent Type" tonight, the first time I've seen it in quite a while. During the (hilarious) "carefrontation" when Tony learns that Chris suffocated the dog by sitting on her, Tony says, "You killed little Cossette? I oughta suffocate you, you prick!"
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

FlyOnMelfisWall wrote:Wow, I had to add another one to the original observations in this thread.

My aunt and I rewatched "Strong Silent Type" tonight, the first time I've seen it in quite a while. During the (hilarious) "carefrontation" when Tony learns that Chris suffocated the dog by sitting on her, Tony says, "You killed little Cossette? I oughta suffocate you, you prick!"

Geeez- another great catch!- Tony made good on his threat. Tony came full circle.

Agreed, another great catch, Fly!

Especially given the fact that season five was originally going to be the last (I think. Do I have that right?), I really believe all these little things were intentional. I'm sure by the end of season four, David Chase already knew Chris' fate, and already had that in mind when working on S4.

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”