Re: The Number "3"

Hey guys from what I can remember the number 3 has been a symbolic number for a long time in the story telling world going back to times such as Shakespeare. For example the three witches in Macbeth. Maybe Chase is using this traditional story telling symbolic device which everyone has picked up on so well!

hev9078 wrote:Hey guys from what I can remember the number 3 has been a symbolic number for a long time in the story telling world going back to times such as Shakespeare. For example the three witches in Macbeth. Maybe Chase is using this traditional story telling symbolic device which everyone has picked up on so well!

Was it not true that the number 3 was uncle june's superstitious theory that bad things happen in three's? IF true, no need to look further than that reason for the occurances of the number three.

I enjoy reading much of this, also I want to point out how Chritopher came back from his own coma dream in season2 with the message from Junior's consiglieri: "Three o'clock." Three lingered ever since.
I do like the idea of the three killing attempt against TS. Perhaps the third one really is from Chris (however unwantedly) when he flips the car.
Also what about the three with T's "other" family? Since basically its Sil Paulie and Chris....
You can't have everything- Where would you put it? -Steven Wright

watcher wrote:
6) If tony was wacked (who really knows...) it would have been the "3rd" time someone/people actually tried to kill him, e.g., season 1 by the two black guys, season 5 by Junior, and at the diner (if that is what happened...again, who knows?).

Maybe the symbolyism is 3rd strike and your out? 3rd attempt on Tony's life (if that is what the cut to black symbolized) is his 3rd strike. Who knows. I just don't believe in conincidences, especially in a show where every detail is carefully scripted and thought out.

No that's not right. There are at least 2 more attempts to kill Tony.

The rat in College who did want to kill Tony in front of the motel, but it failed...

Patsy Parisi in Season 3 wanted to kill Tony in front of his house but in the end he only peed into the pool.

So there were at least 5 attempts to murder Tony.

I mentioned it in another thread a while ago, and whilst I think it's tenuous at best, some of the other '3 sightings' are equally so!

The new car AJ gets is a BMW M3, he makes reference to wanting one when Tony is in hospital.

Probably not really worth a mention, but if you're '3 collecting' it's another one to add to your collection!

DaViE wrote:No that's not right. There are at least 2 more attempts to kill Tony.

The rat in College who did want to kill Tony in front of the motel, but it failed...

Patsy Parisi in Season 3 wanted to kill Tony in front of his house but in the end he only peed into the pool.

So there were at least 5 attempts to murder Tony.

I would argue against these two instances being attempts to murder Tony. They may have WISHED to murder him but that is not nearly the same thing. The rat in "College" has to abort because of too many people around, and all Patsi does in the end is p**s in Tony's swimming pool. In no way can these be counted as " attempts" on Tony's life. Likewise, Tony survives two car crashes ( with Ade and then with Christopher ) but these can't be regarded as attempts on his life either. They are accidents, nothing more.

Just as I type this it occurs again to me what a lucky SOB Tony really is. To survive in the world he lives in is lucky enough but walk away without a scratch from two car accidents ? That must be some rabbit's foot he carries around. Or maybe Pie's horseshoe ?

OK, here is my take on threes. It is a MAJOR theme throughout al the seasons.

Remember christopher's meesage to tony from hell: 3 o'clock.

In the episode: another toothpick, it is clearly disccused that death comes in threes.

How about the soprano home movies: "Three little ducks
Went out one day..Over the hills and far away"

So Chase did not just randomly do this. It is mentioned many times.

Now, Tony was only shot at on two seperate occasions. By the black guys and by junior. The next time he gets shot at would be the third. As for the bells, once the journey song starts there a three bells 1. carmela 2. AJ and the members only guy on the same ring. 3. meadow

The 3 o'clock warning was directed at Paulie as well.

Paulie was obsessed with that time, even setting his alarm clock to be prepared for any possible hit.

This might suggest that Paulie was eventually eliminated off screen.

But 3 o'clock does not have to represent the time. It also can mean a warning of some threat at the immediate right to the person being warned. Geometrically it is 0 degrees.

But 3 o'clock does not have to represent the time. It also can mean a warning of some threat at the immediate right to the person being warned. Geometrically it is 0 degrees.[/QUOTE]

The Members only jacket guy went into the bathroom at Tony's right... 3 o'clock.... hmmmmmm

Return to “Sopranos Symbolism and Subtext”