Your favourite whacking?

Just started watching the show from the beginning again (must be the 100:th time!), and even though the "whackings" isn't my favorite part of the show I must admit I sometimes catch myself smiling when one of my favorite sociopaths commits another murder for the family.

I had a project about a year ago to collect them all into one video (see link below), and even though I realize the question is a bit morbid (especially after finishing my video and watching it!), I asked myself; which whacking was the best?

I cant really decide, but I think it would be either the Doc Santoro-hit or Eugene Pontecorvos old school shoot-and-drop-the-gun-while-walking-out-hit. :icon_cool:

Anyway, here's my video of all murders in the Sopranos (in chronological order)

http://www.vimeo.com/3274060

Enjoy! :icon_wink:
- "Juan Valdez has been separated from his donkey"

Re: Your favourite whacking?

In terms of whackings I could watch over and over, my favourite would have to be the Gerry Torciano hit. Great directing in this scene. I love how disorienting it is, and how it puts you into the shoes of a bystander to the whacking.

Another favourite of mine is the Joey Peeps hit. Again, great directing in this one, with the camera moving from Tony B's cigarette all the way to Joey's car, with a reflection of TB's crazed face in the window. And all of this to "Bad N' Ruin". Brilliant.

Silvio whacking Adriana had to be the most chilling moment in the sopranos. I didn't even see it coming till after she realized. That moment will be with me forever. I felt sorry for Adriana but I still loved Silvio. (I blamed the fbi mostly)

Second would be Phil where the car rolls over his head. Thought that was awesome. Phil was, imho, the biggest scum in the show (and that's saying alot!) and when he went out like that it was just too good.

Third would be Tony and Pussy shooting Matt. I felt sorry for him despite all his mess ups. Just the way he screamed "mommy" was really moving for me. you realize he was just a little boy in the end, way over his head. but he did mess up royally so you understand tonys point of view. later in the series tony has a flashback to that moment when he hears a little lost girl in the mall scream out "mommy" and tony remembers Matt's last cry before being shot to death.

I liked the Ralphie murder because they managed to make it gut-wrenching. Ralphie had always been kind of an interesting character you loved to hate, then in "Whoever Did This" you suddenly see this whole new sympathetic human side to him, only for him to be brutally murdered. They actually made this character's death gut-wrenching. As far as pure shock value, this is by far the best killing of the series. It wasn't planned or premeditated, they just walk into the kitchen and it escalates into violence.

Bobby Baccalieri's death was well-staged, the way the shot of his corpse is framed entirely in the miniature town makes him look like some kind of giant monster that had just been felled. Even in death, after earning so much respect in life, he winds up the butt of another visual gag about his weight. I can picture the cops showing up at the crime scene and laughing at this spectacle, a terribly undignified end to a genuinely likable character.

I also like the matter-of-fact way they disposed of Jackie Aprile, Jr. He certainly had it coming, but the abruptness of it was pretty disorienting.

Return to “The Kitchen Sink”