Re: Favorite Quotes from The Sopranos (all seasons)

Here's one of my favorite exchanges, back in season 1 between Tony and Mikey Palmice. Mikey brings up the incident when Christopher and Brendan were jacking Uncle Junior's trucks.

Tony- "Hey Mikey, how's the boy?"
Mikey P.- (looking around)- "What boy is that Tone?"
Tony- "The one you sleep with"
Mikey-(scoffs)
Tony- "Hey I'm just kidding around, right?"
Mikey- "What's with your nephew, what is he retarded or something. He likes playing with trucks?"

Tony- "Ah, what if Jerry Lewis heard you talking like that?"
Mikey- "That's Muscular Dystrophy, Tone"
Tony- "To bad they don't have a tele-thon for fuck face- itis, they find a cure yet?"

Classic Stuff!

After they killed the Cuban guy, Paulie's phone call to Tony to confirm it.

Paulie- "Juan Valdez has been seperated from his donkey"

This is one of the things I love about this show, to protect themselves from wire taps they come up with code words to avoid trouble. Some of the ones they come up with are hillarious. Actually here is another example:

In The Pine Barrens episode from Season 3, Tony is on the phone from home with Paulie (in the woods) and they are discusing if the Russian got away or he was dead.

Tony- "Did the package survive?"
Paulie- "What's that Tone, I can't hear you, you're breaking up?"
Tony- "The package, did it survive?!"
(As AJ sits on the couch and raises his eyebrows in confusion as to what Tony is talking about)

Season 4- "For All Debts Public and Private"
This exchange between Tony and Bobby Bacala at a diner.

Bobby- "Mom started going downhill after the World Trade Center." You know Quasimodo predicted all this."

Tony- "Who did what?"
Bobby- "All these problems. The Middle East, the end of the world."
Tony- "Nostradamus. Quasimodo's the Hunchback of Notre Dame."
Bobby- "Oh right. Notre Damus."
Tony- "Nostradamus, and Notre Dame. Two different things completely."
Bobby- "It's interesting though, they'd be so similar, isn't it?" And I always thought okay, Hunchback of Notre Dame. You also got your quarterback and halfback of Notre Dame."

Tony- "One's a fucking cathedral."
Bobby- "Obviously. I know, I'm just saying. It's interesting, the coincidence. What your gonna tell me you never pondered that? The back thing with Notre Dame?"

Tony- "No!"

A classic underated exchange of dialougue on the show. Bobby is such a dumb ass! It is great.
And no, I didn't remember that scene word for word. I may be a Sopranos junkie, but I'm not that good. I just happened to be watching that episode again and always loved that exchange.

Season 5 - Unidentified Black Males

Tony and Melfi are talking in her office. Tony tells her that his cousin Tony B. has an IQ of 158.

Melfi: So, you think he's smarter than you are?
Tony: Honestly? I think he's smarter than you are.

-----------------------------------------------

Later, Tony & Carm meet at Artie's restaurant where Carmella tells him that she plans to go ahead with the divorce.

Carmella: "I just want what I'm entitled to."
Tony: "You're entitled to shit!"

Then Tony calls over to Artie: "She's ready to order now!"

Splishak wrote:Season 5 - Unidentified Black Males

Tony and Melfi are talking in her office. Tony tells her that his cousin Tony B. has an IQ of 158.

Melfi: So, you think he's smarter than you are?
Tony: Honestly? I think he's smarter than you are.
Wanted to make one minor correction to this one, splish, as the text you left out makes me laugh on its own.

Melfi: So we can assume you think he's smarter than you?

Tony: Honestly I think he's smarter than you the way you keep shittin' on the test.

LMAO! He stung Melfi with that one, too. You could see she had a hard time accepting that one in silence.
Tony, his spirits crushed after b-lining to the fridge first thing in the morning: "Who ate the last piece of cake?"

I've been re-watching some of the episodes from Season Five lately. Some of my favorite moments concern some scenes between a child and an adult.

Cold Cuts has always been one of my favorite episodes. Mostly because of the masterful acting and writing in the scene at the end of the episode where Tony causes Janice to explode in anger when he pushed her buttons re Harpo. It was as if he was saying to himself, "So. You think you have been cured of your anger problem? Well, let's just see how cured you are!"

Janice had been attending some Anger Management classes and was acting as if she had been cured and was now a new happy person. Tony reacted badly to that. It was almost as if he felt Janice was goading him in a way, as if she was saying that she was doing better with her therapy than he was with his and I think Tony was determined to show her that she was in no way "cured" or close to it. Very childish, no?

I also loved the song at the end of that episode. It was by The Kinks and was one of the best songs I've ever heard in the entire series. It is a very difficult piece of music to find. I believe the version of the song used in the episode is a different version than the one usually found on the album. You have to find some special album or some bootleg version to get the one used from the TV episode. Very sorry. But I forget the name of the song offhand.

Anyway, I found some eery similarities between scenes in Cold Cuts (where Janice gets into a punch-up with one of the other soccer moms) and some scenes in Soprano Home Movies and Chasing It -- especially some of the scenes between a child and an adult.

For example, in Cold Cuts, after Janice punches another soccer mom and gets arrested, she comes home and has a talk with Sophia just before bedtime.

Janice: You'll see. When you're a parent, you'll defend your kids like a lion with her cubs.
Sophia: You're not my parent.
Janice: What did you say? (said with a good deal of underlying anger at the child).

Remember the episode, "Soprano Home Movies"? When Janice and Carmella were sitting by the lake with Janice's daughter, Janice told her daughter to come out of the water and her daughter answered, "No!" When Janice replied to that, the expression on Janice's face and the tone of her voice were almost identical to that in "Cold Cuts" when Sophia told her, "You're not my parent" and she answered, "What did you say?" In both cases, I honestly thought she was on the verge of striking the child.

There was another episode in which I was reminded of Janice saying:

"You'll see. When you're a parent, you'll defend your kids like a lion with her cubs."

But I don't remember when or where. Is anyone else reminded of some other episode where an adult tells a child something like, "When you're a parent, you'll defend your kids like a lion with her cubs."?

When I started this post, there was a few other things that I wanted to say - a few other things that I was reminded of. But I'm sorry. I forgot them. I hope to come back later. Or maybe someone else is reminded of any other scenes or episodes concerning an adult and child?

Return to “The Kitchen Sink”